Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 »

The Ultimate Brookie Box?

From Southern Berks County, PA
Probably my most favorite thing to do is to go fly fishing for brookies. Whenever I go out, I usually just tie on a standard elk hair caddis and bring a few to hand. My question is, (just to liven up the experience), what kind of flies, nymphs, dries, streamers, etc. would be good choices to include in my "Brookie Box"? I want to fill up a brook trout patterned MFC Poly Box with all these good flies and see what I can do this coming spring and summer! Hopefully I can inspire some others to do the same. Thanks

Posted on: 10/11 19:57

Re: The Ultimate Brookie Box?
From Gettysburg
Quote:

Wildbrowntrout wrote:
My question is, (just to liven up the experience), what kind of flies, nymphs, dries, streamers, etc. would be good choices to include in my "Brookie Box"? I want to fill up a brook trout patterned MFC Poly Box with all these good flies and see what I can do this coming spring and summer!

You should fill up your brookie box with whatever patterns you have the most confidence in...just vary them a bit by size and color.

For example: tie up a bunch of elk hair caddis, but mix and match colors. Tie some with white deer hair and maybe a few with chartruese. Tie a few in siz 16 with an orange fur body and a few in size #10 with white or black bodies and some contrasting color wings. Maybe try a few with orange hackle. This sort of approach.

For your nymphs, tie them in mostly bright colors but vary them by weight. Have a line in your box of your favorite nymph with unweighted patterns, then the next row would be the same pattern with a small bead, and then the next row the same pattern with a heavy bead. I like bright colored beads for my brookie nymphs, mainly chartruese and orange.

I don't fish streamers much for mountain brookies. However, have some small streamers in whatever pattern you like. Keep 'em on the small side (not much more than an inch in length) and mix and match colors. Olive, black, white, and mixed, will cover the bases.

Personally, I fish for mountain brookies mostly with a hopper dropper system. I like a bright colored wet fly under a big, bouyant, dry fly. For these dries, I like foam bodied stuff. However, you will want to keep these big dries on the smaller side to improve hookup ratio.

Posted on: 10/11 20:15

From Pittsburgh
I use beetles almost exclusively for brookies - #12 and #14. All summer and into autumn.

Posted on: 10/11 20:24

From SEPA
I like small buggers with a hot-colored beadhead.

Posted on: 10/11 21:13

My go-to brookie flies are Renegades, Humpies (which I'd rather buy than tie, you're probably better off with the EHC), Bivisibles and Royal Wullfs. Under the surface, I've never found it necessary to use anything more complicated than a Partridge and Orange. Of course, I use most of those flies for other trout as well, but I would feel confident on a small brookie stream with nothing but those.

As Dave_W said, those just use whatever you have the most confidence in.

Posted on: 10/11 21:14

From Morgantown, PA
I have a Brookie box. It's a small size foam box. It's mostly dries...all of which are in size 12 and 14...Wulffs in varying colors, Adams Parachutes, and EHC. It has maybe a half dozen attractor nymphs, Prince's mostly, and a few Micro-Buggers...as FI mentioned, keep them small. It's a pretty simple fly box really. These are flies that I have confidence in, but nearly anything reasonable will work. Fish what you like.

Posted on: 10/11 21:20

Stimulators for when the water is high. Size 14 is the size I use the most, but also size 12 when the water is really up.

I love fishing size 16 Stimmies, because they work well when the water is not really high, but tying them is a pain (or challenge?). But shops sell them.

The body color I have most confidence in is yellow. Second best, a rusty tan brown color. Other colors probably work too, but those are the only two colors I use.

I think yellow works well because a lot of freestone streams have stoneflies with yellow bodies, the golden stoneflies, the yellow sallies. And in the summer and early fall, when I usually fish these, there are light colored mayflies around too.

These are not just brookie flies, they work on freestone browns as well. And cutthroats. Or whatever.

They just work great on freestone streams, wherever the flow has some speed and some chop.

I don't really fish them on flat water, but I've seen people fish them on very slow, quiet water and the trout hit them. I was amazed.

When I first heard about Stimulators, I thought well that's just a minor variation of an elk hair caddis. But there really is a difference. It's very much worthwhile having both EHC (especially for the smaller sizes) and Stimmies (especially for the larger sizes).

Posted on: 10/11 22:13

From Butler Co
Yellow body Elk Hair Caddis
Yellow body Humpy
Royal Wulff Dry
Royal Coachman wet
Pheasant Tail Nymph (plain and beadhead)
Sizes 14 or 16

The humpy and Wulff are very effective dries but the Elk Hair Caddis has a better hook up rate for me. I think no tail is the key. I also tie my EHC with yellow foam bodies and I generally can catch about 30 fish before the fly is too beat up and must be retired.

Posted on: 10/11 23:13

From Granville
Wild brookies are generally really easy. Elk hair caddis, various nymphs, small Chernobyl ants and other beetle and realistic ant pattern and you're pretty much set. I would always add a bright pink San Juan worm, though. Sometimes they work magic on brookies..

Posted on: 10/12 0:00

I started fishing mountain brookies with a buddy of mine this year and chose to fish a basic foam ant pattern. It seemed to work for me and the hook up ratio wasn't to bad. The pattern was cinnamon size medium foam body with some brown fly hackle.

Posted on: 10/12 1:02

From Berryville Virginia
Mostly size 14 but a few 16’s. Adams, orange ant, black ant, Royal Wulff, Mr. Rapidan, Sulphur Parachute, woodchuck dry, pheasant tail dry. Nymphs. Pheasant tail and Hares ear and one streamer a small Black Nose Dace. The little streams I fish are usually are too small to fish nymphs and streamers but I take a few just in case. That is all the room I have in my brookie Chestbox.

Posted on: 10/12 8:24

From Other side of the tracks
Lots of good suggestions.

The brookie streams I used to frequent were not very fertile, so the fish were aggressive and not selective. As long as you don't spook the fish, you are gonna catch some.

In addition to previous suggestions, I once had a very good day using a small streamer made with Lady Amherst neck feathers. The white with black stripes. I have no idea what the name of the fly was, because it came in a package deal.

Large wet fly might be a more accurate description than streamer.

I should have saved my last one.

I guess what I am saying is flashy works.

Posted on: 10/12 9:05

From Chester County
From reading all the posts above, load your box with all types of dries, wets, streamers, and terrestrials in all different sizes and colors...
Sounds like a regular fly box to me!

Plus it proves, since you guys all catch fish and all these varied type flies and patterns and colors and sizes....the fly choice really doesn't matter much...

I wouldn't sweat the pattern or type of fly.

Make sure it's very visible on the water (to you) since your fly will be cast into fast riffled water as well as in small dark coochie holes in and near the cover.

Choose a fly the floats well without having to dry it off and add floatant every time you catch a fish...you'll likely catch a lot of them.

Is durable.....you'll likely catch a lot of them

Is cheap to buy and/or simple to tie....you'll likely catch a lot of them and your flies will get torn up, or meet it's maker in a tree or bush.

Just carry a small box with some simple dries, a few nymphs, wets and small streamers.

When fishing, I suggest you fish a single dry fly first, most times that's all it takes, plus you can toss it anywhere and will not have to worry about getting snagged on the bottom.

You can try a dry dropper if need be, but you odds of getting snagged go up, it's a little harder to cast, and you double the untangling time and rerigging time when you do snag something and the number of flies you use.

Think > Float high and easy to tie!

Posted on: 10/12 9:39

tan EHC, soft hackle PT

Posted on: 10/12 9:43

From Greensburg, PA
i won't even fish for brookies with anything subsurface. probably missing out. they are just so aggressive to dries i usually use an elkhair and skitter it or a royal wulff. usually a 14 or 16 for both.

Posted on: 10/12 9:44

(1) 2 3 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Sponsors
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

USGS Water Levels
Polls
Angling Trade E-Survey: How Many Outdoor Print Magazines Do You Subscribe To?
None. Nada. Zip. 50% (46)
One or two. 32% (30)
Three or four. 13% (12)
More than four. 3% (3)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2017/10/27 11:42
Comments?

Copyright 2017 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com