Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: The Ultimate Brookie Box?

From Dispositionally, one mile south of Lake LeBoeuf
>>However, I'm convinced that deer hair patterns work better - for whatever reason.>>

I'm convinced it's the "splat" as a function of deer hair being heavier than foam. I primarily fished #10's and presented them about the same way you might present a bass bug, tight to the banks and cover and with enough force that they made a noticeable plop when they hit the water. With this technique, I found that deer hair outfished foam at least 3-1.

Foam though, might be superior for other ways of fishing larger ants and beetles. I've caught a lot of trout that were already working on dinky olives or even trikes by showing them a large ant or beetle. In these situations, a more subdued plop, as with foam, seems to work a little better. For me, anyway....

Posted on: 10/14 11:46

From Altoona, PA
I've never met a brook trout that could resist a well placed green weenie! My favorite way to fish them is under a dry fly but I also enjoy fishing them on a long leader for a more stealthy approach. Easy to see in the water and even easier to tie!

Posted on: 10/19 11:48

From Burke VA
Quote:

Doug_R wrote:
I've never met a brook trout that could resist a well placed green weenie! My favorite way to fish them is under a dry fly but I also enjoy fishing them on a long leader for a more stealthy approach. Easy to see in the water and even easier to tie!

That's the only fly kray uses

Posted on: 10/19 21:50

Quote:

Doug_R wrote:

During the summer and early fall, when the inchworms are around, especially when the flows are at low and medium levels, a greenie worm pattern is definitely a very effective fly for brookies.

Probably THE most effective fly in those conditions. Much more effective than typical dry flies such as a Royal Wulff, Adams, elk hair caddis.

Which shows once again that what fly you use DOES matter for brookies.

Posted on: 10/20 15:28

From Pennsylvania
Obviously, what fly you use does matter, but in all of my years of fly fishing I've never once seen a green inch-worm in or on the water.

Am I the only one?

Posted on: 10/21 10:08

Quote:

DriftingDunn wrote:
Obviously, what fly you use does matter, but in all of my years of fly fishing I've never once seen a green inch-worm in or on the water.

Am I the only one?

Quite possibly. They hang down from trees on threads from trees overhanging water, and eventually drop in. You may not see them on large rivers, but on small streams, they're often everywhere.

You've never fished Clark's Creek, have you?

And don't forget that the larvae of Rhyacophila caddis flies ("green rock worms") are also well represented by green weenies.

Posted on: 10/21 14:36

From Dauphin
Although clarks has some green inchworms the word hatch is non existent. There is not inchworms everywhere like you tend to believe. Yea I’m sure fish will eat them but if your solely going to fish this “hatch” you’ll be disappointed because it doesn’t exist. Common misconception

Posted on: 10/22 8:41

I've seen fish lined up under the hemlocks picking off suspended inchworms far to often to agree with you on that.

Of course, with the hemlocks dying off the way they have been, this may no longer be true in the future.

Posted on: 10/22 12:26

There are many inchworms on hardwood trees.

Posted on: 10/22 12:41

From Burke VA
Hatch is not the right word to use with inch worms. I wouldn't ever say there is a good grasshopper hatch yet when they hit the water they get crushed. The second part is inch worms get suspended in the water column quickly. If you're waiting for rising fish to take the inch worm hatch you'll be waiting a long time.

Posted on: 10/22 12:43

Quote:

troutbert wrote:
There are many inchworms on hardwood trees.

Yes, of course. Most of the trees overhanging Clark's, though, are/were hemlocks. It will be a while before they're replaced by hardwoods.

Posted on: 10/22 14:15

From Dauphin
I grew up all but creekside on Clarks and still live super close. A mile at best. I understand what your saying and I have plenty of books that say the same. In fact any book you pickup that has info on clarks talks about inchworms. But in my honest opinion is, it’s not that great. I also understand they would catch fish there, but they have never been all over the place. Just very here and there. And I did not mean to come off saying you or however I did redietZ I apologize for the way it sounds. I wasn’t trying to seem hostile.

Posted on: 10/22 16:37

Edited by IdratherbePhishing on 2017/10/22 16:55:39
Edited by IdratherbePhishing on 2017/10/22 16:57:06

From Pine Grove
I'll hafta get irbp's back on this one. We've had this discussion a lot, and I grew up on the opposite end of the creek from him. The green inchworm on Clark's "hatch" has been way overblown. Ironically enough, when it allegedly happens, there are half a dozen real, and quite awesome to fish hatches going on. They are there for sure, but it seems like everybody just echoes "that book" when they have no other advice to add regarding a creek with sporadic, yet incredibly diverse hatches. If I were to disseminate a hatch that should be famous on Clark's, I would throw down a 14 or 16 tan caddis. 8 months of the year, it's cash money in the bank. Also, if you do decide to fish inchworms in Clark's, they definitely don't float.

Boyer

Posted on: 10/22 16:57

No offense taken at anybody who's experiences with Clarks differ from own.

Back in the early 80's, I used to fish the stream several times a week. I didn't read about the inchworms from any book (although I've subsequently seen them written about in several) but simply by watching.

I have to agree with what's been said about several hatches going on at the same time that the inchworms appear -- and they're certainly not a "hatch".

I personally usually fished an ant pattern to trout picking off inchworms, not a green weenie (I'm not sure it had been invented yet.) Watching where there were inchworms was simply a way to mark where the trout would be.

In more recent years, I've watched people clean up with a green weenie in the stream, but then again, I've seen people clean up with a green weenie in streams with no overhanging vegetation.

Posted on: 10/22 18:48

« 1 2 3 (4)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Sponsors
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

USGS Water Levels
Polls
Angling Trade E-Survey: How Many Outdoor Print Magazines Do You Subscribe To?
None. Nada. Zip. 50% (46)
One or two. 32% (30)
Three or four. 13% (12)
More than four. 3% (3)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2017/10/27 11:42
Comments?

Copyright 2017 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com