Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 23 »

Re: The Spotburning Thread

From Lititz/Huntingdon
Quote:

csoult wrote:
Quote:

Gorosaurus wrote:
An alternative to consider (not that I support it, but it would allow some to have cake and eat it to) is to make the Stream Reports section members-only, with access gained at 50 or 100 posts.

I agree with this, I used to think that spot burning didn't matter but my thinking has changed. That is my opinion only, and am not trying to tell anyone not to post their steam reports because I enjoy reading them. Some streams are impossible to spot burn though. By opening this new post I am assuming that it was ok to talk about spot burning in here because it would then not be off topic.
Edit: Never mind, I read what you said at the bottom after my post, sorry.

I'll throw a vote in for making the Stream Reports members only. Problem 90% solved I would think. If that doesn't quiet the folks yip'n n yap'n about spot burning down then take the next step to stop the bitch'n. I'm not a moderator but, I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.....

Posted on: 2012/2/7 11:12

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZif22PVohg

The four most effective weapons for taking anothers possessions:
4) knife
3) gun
2) lawyer
1) politician

Hey, Afish, don't blame me. I have been trying to be nice, even though you and many others know what I think of kissing and telling. But, anyway, it wasn't me this time!

Posted on: 2012/2/7 11:14

From chester ct
Here is a parallel situation which may support the excellent idea of restricting access to Stream Reports to reduce spot burn concerns: some of the forums I frequent have buying/selling/trading sections. Sometimes they attract folks with nefarious intentions who try to rip off the members. The common remedy is to establish a threshold of number of posts and length of membership time before you can access the buying/etc section.

A year ago, someone observed that the number of unregistered lurkers exceeded those of legitimate members looking at this forum. Maybe some of those were actually members who just didn't log in. Further, I recall that some felt a lot of the lurkers were not flyfishers but baiters and harvesters who were looking for hot spots. If this is indeed the case, we can preserve the founding intentions of this fine forum by keeping freeloaders from raiding our treasures.

If you were trying to run a restaurant with a particular atmosphere and clientele in mind, would you let random freeloaders come in with brown bags and let them use the restroom, enjoy the music (if any) and otherwise freeload off your facilities?

tl
les

PS - although sometimes I like solitude when ffishing, I usually enjoy running into other PAFFers on the water

Posted on: 2012/2/7 11:30

From The Iron Islands
I think 1. stream reports for members only would be a good idea, mainly because it would address alot of concerns i have with thousands of people reading the reports. and 2. It is still possible to post small streams and such and pictures!! just leave out the name!!! If someone is curious and you want to share, PM it, heck word of mouth is one thing taking someone fishing to your spot is all on you, but putting a spot online for a few thousand to read very easily as Dkile has pointed out, is a bit of a different story.

When in doubt, don't name it, and PM it if you must!

Posted on: 2012/2/7 11:39

From The Iron Islands
Heck you could even say the region,

Fishing report SE PA, these bugs, this water temperature, here is a neat picture. end report.

Same thing, no need to name drop??!! Common sense is a beautiful thing.

Posted on: 2012/2/7 11:40

From Ephrata, PA
I too would be for Members Only Stream Reports. Sure it won't weed out all the lurkers, but it'll help a great deal.

Posted on: 2012/2/7 11:42

From Philadelphia
I'm not going to come down on one side or the other as far as the suggestions here. But I would like to say is that I wish all threads with topics as explosive as this can be as well argued and civil as this one.

Not trying to be condescending to anyone but this is the way we should always be as a group. As someone pointed out, we all at least have this one passion in common and should be able to have civil debates which are entertaining and informative.

Posted on: 2012/2/7 11:45

From Chester County
Quote:

Crotalus wrote:
Quote:

afishinado wrote:

POSTS TAKING ANY THREADS OFF-TOPIC WILL BE DELETED.

Is this for the stream report section only or for the entire forum? This is gonna be one empty place if every thread that goes off topic is deleted.

oops crap, i just took this thread off the spot burning topic...

sorry.

lol..

To clarify, we all add stuff to posts that's a little off-topic, but common courtesy should prevail. If the light comes on after reading a post and you have another subject to write about - start a new thread.

As far as stream reports, I see no harm (in fact...good) from adding info to the report with a post, like: "Yeah, I fished that stretch and caught a few on parachute hairs butt flies last week....."

The one thing we all have grown tired of, is the bitchin' about spot burning in way too many stream threads.

I stand somewhere in the middle on the spot burning subject. While stream reports are great for the well known streams, there are some smaller streams that cannot handle a lot of angler pressure and/or are located in privately owned property. Please use your judgement when posting about such streams. But, many of the streams we are talking about have books or chapters of books written about them, and have daily stream reports and detailed info posted about them both in print and on-line!

Anyway, IMO, "spotburning" is a legitimate FFing topic, and the debate on this subject will never end.

This thread is here serve as your place to voice your opinion on the subject for the members of the site that wish to read about it. All opinions are welcome, as long as you do not disparage others with opinions that differ from yours. Just my 2.

Hey Les, I like your "brown bag" analogy...Lestrout for me...more trout for you

Posted on: 2012/2/7 11:47

From NE OH
Quote:

ryguyfi wrote:
I think a good amount of people who are "spot burning" are unaware of the results of their actions. They just don't know the amount of people who come on this board and realize the impact it may have on foot traffic. We are an informative website so that's the whole purpose of this web page, but if you feel a certain stream should be a little more hush hush, then send a PM and explain NICELY why such stream should be kept a bit more of a secret.

There are NO secret streams in PA, but definitely some that should have extra care taken of. Thanks Afish for the thread and hopefully we can all just get along!

Good stuff ryguyfi!

I think the big issue is that ya'll are not all that nice when new folks come along and make a mistake on YOUR forum. Instead of taking the high road and saying, "Hey, have you considered...." A lot of folks call them everything but human. That is poor form at best. Take the high road, educated people the way you would want to be educated, and lead them out of the situation. Yelling and screaming at someone for a mistake really says more about you than the "spot-burner." Be graceous folks, it will serve you well.

Posted on: 2012/2/7 11:49

From chester county
Quote:
Foxgap239 wrote:
I have no idea if they read my post or not but I did get a friendly PM, from a guy a now have a great deal of respect for, saying that I might want to not post about that "sensitive" stream. That stream is by no means a secret but it certainly didn't need the added pub of my successes. That said, I have never and will never blast someone in open forum because it was done to me and I have to tell you, it didn't feel too good.

I did basically the same thing when I first joined but with a few different streams (at that point I had never fished the stream you're talking about). I also got a friendly PM that suggested to be a little more careful. Despite the fact that I have never seen anyone else on the few streams I mentioned (before or after posting) I have taken that advice to heart. I've had one PM (from someone with one post on the site) that basically said "you moron, don't post names of streams in that area, they will get cleaned out." I didn't agree with their viewpoint or attitude but they made their comment PRIVATELY. To me there is no point to blasting someone publicly. Some who do this say "I don't feel like taking the time to send a PM," but they have the time to post and argue publicly day after day? One PM will go a lot further than multi-page, week-long arguments that bring the stream trying to be "kept secret" to the attention of everyone reading the site.

As far as what I think of spotburning: I do not share the same opinion as many here that naming streams on this forum has a huge impact, except in select cases. However, I still choose not post many stream names publicly because others have a desire to keep others off "their" streams and I am trying to be respectful of their wishes. And also because I fish a lot of streams that don't have names to begin with

One last thing, for those who think streams can still be "secret" (if anyone even does think that)...I have yet to find a trout stream of any size that has not also been fished by other members of this forum.

Posted on: 2012/2/7 11:50

From Monessen, PA
I just saw five members browsing this thread and 4 anonymous users. Even the bait-chucking, freezer-filling lurkers are enjoying the debate. Probably hoping to find out what streams are allowed to be discussed and which one's not.

Posted on: 2012/2/7 11:59

From down the block from the Letort.
not a lurking heathen Jack, just not logged in... ;)

Posted on: 2012/2/7 12:02

From Monessen, PA
Point made?

Posted on: 2012/2/7 12:06

From The Iron Islands
Well Dkile himself said the site gets around 170,000 uniques with 5,000 registered members. That means registered members not logged in don't count as one of the 170,000 uniques. And even if everyone had 2 computers and browsed without logging on with their other computer that would still only be 10k out of 170,000.

You can be a smart alec all you want Jack, you're still not correct.

Posted on: 2012/2/7 12:07

From Monessen, PA
And furthermore, I hereby request no further mention of the Little J, Spring Creek or Penns Creek, because I like to fish them.

Posted on: 2012/2/7 12:07

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 23 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com