The Nale Brothers

B

Brown71

I have been reading some of there posts on another board. These guys deserve a shout out. Amazing fisherman. The numbers of trout they catch is incredible.

As most on here know, I'm a big fish guy, but those numbers and there skills have to be respected.

Also, they seem like great guys, had a few conversations with one of them through PM, really heads up trout fisherman.

NNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Over under on posts with a math break down of their numbers. Come on whos first ?

LOL. I'm a fly fisherman but that's just me.

Never heard of them, did a google search and nothing comes up. What's the point of the post, am I the only one who has no idea who they are ?

Anyone who takes fish counting to that level is not someone I would care to glorify or even care to share a stream with for that matter. The only reason to keep statistics like that would be for research, which I highly doubt their intent is. Sounds like they like to keep score so they can post all over the internet how many fish they catch each year.

Just my opinion....

Ryan, point is I have just been reading some of their posts, and they are very good fisherman, and I just thought Id mention it being that this is a fishing site. The info interested me, I am a stat guy, and have also kept accurate stats for more than 20 years, mainly on large fish though. Nothing more and nothing less.

These guys love to trout fish. That is it.

I have had several members on here PM me about posting some info of my big fish for this year, and ill probably do it when I get time. Some people like that stuff, and it doesn't mean they want credit or glory. I have a maniacal passion for big trout fishing. I keep accurate record of it, to look back from year to year. It doesn't mean anything more than that.

My .02 LOL

I may have been a bit harsh. I think record keeping is great, as long as it has a purpose other than to say “this is how many fish per day I caught”, etc. Records/notes pertaining to things such as dates/locations of large fish caught, big activity, stream conditions are all great knowledge to keep as they will help us become better and more efficient fisherman.

It’s also a little different when someone asks you to see pictures rather than just posting your yearly statistics for no other reason than to say here’s how many fish I caught. I for one, would also like to see your pictures, as I am a big fish guy myself.

Frank Nale, aka FrankTroutAngler on PAFF posts on every so often.

He is very detailed and meticulous on his record keeping as well as how he fishes. Here is something I found written by him from another site Under the title of:

I Have Now Caught Over 260,000 Trout, 100 Trout Per Day Average

Let me share a few points with you:

1) I have been timed by another angler and on a large stream it takes me an average of 25 seconds from the time I hook a trout until the time I release it. On a small stream this time would be substantially less. These 25 seconds include holding the trout up against the grid of inch markers that I have on my rod as well as unhooking it. It takes me about 5 seconds to get out my little notebook and write, for example, “7 BK 803,” meaning I caught a 7” brook trout at 8:03 a.m. It does not take me any additional time to determine the species since I can tell this at a glance. And if I care to determine whether it is a stocked trout or a wild trout, I determine this during the measuring process and it takes no additional time. Therefore, the handling time is a total of about 30 seconds per trout on a large stream; less on a small stream. Please don’t confuse me with the many fly fishermen who play their trout to exhaustion.

2) If I were to average catching a trout every 3.5 minutes for a day, this is 17.14 trout per hour. For sake of discussion, let’s round this to 20 trout per hour. The time required from hooking a trout until I’m ready to make my next cast is, on average, 30 seconds per trout. If you multiple these 20 trout times 30 seconds of handling time each it means that I spend all of 10 minutes in an hour actually handling trout. This leaves 50 minutes, repeat 50 minutes, for all of the other things required to catch these trout.

3) Most of the streams I fish do not require “walking from place to place” as you suggested. Generally, I’m fishing all of the water that I feel may hold a trout. I certainly don’t skip the water between pools unless I feel there will be no trout there. If I’m fishing a small stream that is too shallow to hold trout in the riffles between pools, it takes only seconds to walk to the next pool. Keep in mind that I don’t typically get up onto the bank to walk to the next pool; I stay in the water or walk on the rocks along the creek.

4) I am left-handed but I cast with my right arm. This is one of the things that speed up my trout-handling process. I do not fumble around as I manage the trout, my rod, needle-nose pliers, and a pencil and tablet.

5) Even on a tight mountain stream I rarely get snagged. This is just an educated guess, but I doubt I get snagged more than once every hour, even on a brushy stream. I have often fished for several hours and thought back on that time and realized that I hadn’t gotten hung-up even once. My straight-ahead, underhand, flip casting method is deadly accurate and is a key to my success.

6) I almost always fish with the same spinner all day, unless of course I break it off and lose it. I do not use a swivel or any split shot. I tie my spinner directly to my line. While fishing I cut my spinner off about every 15 to 20 minutes and re-tie it to undamaged line. I’ve tied thousands of improved clinch knots and I can do this in just a few seconds. Please don’t confuse me with fly fishermen who fumble around for ten minutes getting ready for their next cast.

7) While fishing, if I decide to do something that is not actual fishing, I do not count that time as fishing time any more than a stats-keeper would count the minutes a basketball player spends sitting on the bench as playing time. That would be illogical to me. If I stop to talk to someone while fishing I deduct those minutes. If I stop to take some photographs I deduct those minutes, too, as well as the time I take to answer a serious nature call. With this said, I find that I rarely deduct any minutes from the time I start fishing until the time I stop because I avoid talking to other anglers when possible and haven’t taken many photographs in recent years.

8) My best hour ever was 77 trout. This should give you an idea of how easy it is to catch just 17.14 trout per hour. I often catch two trout during the same minute and have on occasion caught three – my notebooks show this.

I hope this helps you and other skeptics understand how an earthly human can catch large numbers of trout that you as a fly fisherman find to be an incredible accomplishment.

- Frank Nale -"

Link to source: http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/forum/threads/i-have-now-caught-over-260-000-trout-100-trout-per-day-average.114460/page-13

I have read some of his stuff. I no longer bother. Anybody that keeps such detailed records like that really has a problem IMO. Besides that he hates fly fishing and fly fisherman.

WildTigerTrout wrote:
I have read some of his stuff. I no longer bother. Anybody that keeps such detailed records like that really has a problem IMO. Besides that he hates fly fishing and fly fisherman.

I duuno.....each to his own. His thing is recording keeping and catching lotsa fish.

Back in childhood into my teen years I caught lotsa fish, first on bait and later on lures (spinners and spoons). But when I saw the trout starting to rise I grabbed my fly rod and flies I tied myself, and the rest was history. I have no desire at all to fish with lures. But that's me and many of us on here. As Jerry Seinfeld said....."not that there's anything wrong with that. :lol:

His catching prowess has always been self-proclaimed.

ryansheehan wrote:
Never heard of them, did a google search and nothing comes up. What's the point of the post, am I the only one who has no idea who they are ?

They’re spincasters.

I deliberated over this subject 12 times in the past 2 hours. Which equates to 6 times per hour, or once every 10 minutes. I'm going to chart this in an Excel spreadsheet so I can break it down into mili-seconds. My question is this: am I OK?

What does any of this have to do with fly fishing?

outsider wrote:
I deliberated over this subject 12 times in the past 2 hours. Which equates to 6 times per hour, or once every 10 minutes. I'm going to chart this in an Excel spreadsheet so I can break it down into mili-seconds. My question is this: am I OK?
Very good! :lol:

I count trout too, but that's taking things to an extreme. I thought I remembered reading a couple of his posts in the past. Different.

I read his posts because I fish two canoe trips where I can catch trout even though they are stocked trout. Those canoe trips are the very upper Greenbrier River and Smoke Hole section of the South Branch of the Potomac River.

I find that his method of casting upstream and working the spinner downstream just fast enough very effective. We keep just enough of these trout for a grilled supper over campfire coals and fried in sausage grease for breakfast to make everything work when we are a combo of cold, wet, and drunk.

Everything else is released for the Ospreys and ever increasing Bald Eagles that we see.

I have caught wild trout on the upper Delaware River on both spinners and floating Rapala's, but that was way back in the 1980's. I don't think that I could do that now given all of the increased fishing pressure.

Well as far as them being spin fisherman, I don’t think that prevents any of us from learning from them. George Daniel has referenced the Nales more than once when talking streamer fishing. Galloup has indicated the very best source of fishing knowledge as it applies to streamers is from the spin guys, just that most fly fishermen are above listening to them.

As for them keeping stats, this can be very educational too for those interested in them. Their stats about the number, size, and type of trout caught when compared to water type, conditions, and weather are pretty fascinating. I think anyone
interested in keeping this kind of data could learn from it.

I think the OP was interested in learning more and sharing knowledge which I think is the point of this forum

Mark is different from Frank. I have never heard mark brag about fish numbers-although I have some disagreements with him over the impact and interpretations of the bald eagle catch and release results.
Having fished with Mark when trying to catch trout for the LJRA telemetry study, he is not catching 17 trout per hour......
Mark is a great ambassador for the outdoors. Not saying Frank is a bad guy, but Mark does a lot to promote the outdoors through his photography and writing on the subject.

Brown71 wrote:
Ryan, point is I have just been reading some of their posts, and they are very good fisherman, and I just thought Id mention it being that this is a fishing site. The info interested me, I am a stat guy, and have also kept accurate stats for more than 20 years, mainly on large fish though. Nothing more and nothing less.

These guys love to trout fish. That is it.

I have had several members on here PM me about posting some info of my big fish for this year, and ill probably do it when I get time. Some people like that stuff, and it doesn't mean they want credit or glory. I have a maniacal passion for big trout fishing. I keep accurate record of it, to look back from year to year. It doesn't mean anything more than that.

My .02 LOL

I guess I should have explained further, I don't know who those guys are so a little more information other than a shout out would have been helpful. Like I said a google search turned up nothing. I have no idea what other board they post on or if they post on this one. Just read afish's post with a sample and I don't care for it but that just my opinion of one short blurb, maybe one geared towards fly fishing I would enjoy more. Based on people's responses I guess most people know these gentleman but I don't. For what it's worth I would love to see some info and/or pics on your fly fishing.

timbow, no harm man, I get ya. I and I will post some of my big fish results from the last few years when I get time. I am not much of a pic poster though, but if you do search on this site I have posted some large ones several times in the 30" plus brown threads.

Longlinerelease, you are exactly right, I simply posted this to share the information.

ryansheehan, as I said above, Ill post some info for you guys very soon, ill be happy to share it with those interested. I have said on here before though, most of my big fish fishing is also done with a spin rod, but not spinners. Mostly eggs or worms actually. The REALLY big browns are suckers for these tactics on a long rod with light line. Remember, as Ive stated on here many times, I'm after the largest of large browns, fish running 23 or 24 up to 30+ inches.

When I first started chasing big trout, I fly fished mainly. After I figured out what worked, I went back to the noodle rod. I flyfish in summer when I'm not after the big boys. I figured Id post that disclaimer now so I don't upset anyone that didn't read it in the old posts. LOL LOL.

I could post some really interesting stories about how I figured how much more bait works for big browns than flies, but those are other stories for other days, I don't have the time to type it all out right now LOL.

Back