Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 10 »

Re: The Nale Brothers

Quote:

Brown71 wrote:

...this is great discussion.

It's very boring.

And spin and bait fishing is simply off topic on a fly fishing website.

There are other websites where spin fishing is discussed.

Posted on: 2/17 10:19

From florida
Back in 1977 I met a guy in a bar in Vermont who claimed that he was the best trout fisherman in the world. He wore a vest that had River Rapist on it. I bought him a beer and he agreed to show me how he caught loads of trout. I picked the guy up at the bar and we went to a local stream where he took his Zebco reel and casting rod out and tied a spinner on it. Before I could get my boots on he was off rock hopping casting the spinner UPSTREAM and cranking it back as fast as he could. I caught up to him as he whipped a nice brown on to the bank. He asked me if I had a stringer and I said" No". "Grab a vine and string these up" , he said I watched as he would rip the spinner back after a long cast and about every 3rd cast or so he had a trout on. I watch as he has fish blow up on that spinner as he rips it back as fast as he can reel. He missed a bunch that were short strikes. We covered about a mile of creek and I'm carrying 8 nice fish and he says "that's it that's the limit,back to the bar". He tells me over a few beer that he can do that every day and had caught over a hundred fish so far that season. The technique worked anywhere he used it. My next outing I tried it and it worked. Believe me it works. Just ask Moose as he can attest to the fact. I just wonder where or how they learned or figured it out? GG

Posted on: 2/17 10:26

From florida
Quote:

troutbert wrote:
Quote:

Brown71 wrote:

It's very boring.

Variety is the spice of life? Bah humbug? GG

Posted on: 2/17 10:29

From New Castle, PA
I am very skeptical of the catch rates that Frank N. reports. However there are two things:

1) If you look at his breakdowns, a very small percentage of the trout he catches are large. Suggesting that he beats up on tiny wild trout. A fishing strategy that is not foreign to the members of this forum. In the end, he catches a lot of big trout, but it seems like he grinds through a LOT of hours and a LOT of small fish to do it.

2) Akin to the moon landing conspiracy theories, it may actually be more work to fake the stats and reports that he posts than to actually just go and catch that many fish.

I don't want to draw unwilling participants into this discussion so i will withhold names, but there are well know fly anglers in this state who pull off some really incredible feats, particularity when it comes to ability to frequently catch exceptionally large trout. To listen to them discuss their fishing, you would never believe them, yet their phones are filled with nothing but pictures of them holding 20"+ trout. If they broadcast their success the way Frank Nale does, they would probably receive just as much criticism and skepticism.

Posted on: 2/17 10:34

From McAlevy's Fort
I don't know either Nale, but have read a number of posts/articles about or by both of them.

I believe that Frank made his living as an accountant or something similar. Number crunching is probably in his blood.

Quote:

jifigz wrote:
My number one "beef" with bait, personally, is that I don't like having to worry about catching bait, buying bait, is the bait I bought/caught still alive? Artificial lures/flies are always there and ready to go and I've always found that to far outweigh any positives to bait. Bait catches fish and lots of them, no doubt about it.

That's one of the reasons I moved from bait!

I try to give people the benefit of the doubt when reading message board posts.

I look at Frank Nale's numbers as unofficial population surveys.

To each their own.

Posted on: 2/17 10:35

From Granville
Quote:

afishinado wrote:
Quote:

jifigz wrote:
My number one "beef" with bait, personally, is that I don't like having to worry about catching bait, buying bait, is the bait I bought/caught still alive? Artificial lures/flies are always there and ready to go and I've always found that to far outweigh any positives to bait. Bait catches fish and lots of them, no doubt about it.

I fished bait way back when I kept fish. When I became a C&R fisherman I gave up fishing bait because deep hooking a certain amount fish is inevitable.

Fishing lures was fun, I caught a lot of fish, but it got a little boring. It's not just about reeling in a bunch of fish, at least for me.

I really got into the fly fishing > fly tying > match-the-hatch challenge for trout. Rather than measuring my success by catching a bunch of fish, I found that identifying insects, tying a fly to match the flies hatching, and catching trout on my fly to be the ultimate challenge and pursuit.

Later I discovered fly-fishing and fly tying is a great challenge for all fish, both fresh and saltwater.

So here I am.....not bored at all. In fact, the more I delve into all the aspects of fly-fishing, the more I realise how much there is out there for me to learn.

Well yeah AFISH, everything is just more fun. There is more to learn. In fact, a lot to learn. I'm young, only 31, but I'll put myself up against the Nale brothers any day. I'm not being arrogant. I just know that I have learned a lot about catching fish and many types of them and have studied it almost fanatically ever since I was a kid. It is something I'm good at. And I love sharing my knowledge with others and hopefully they find joy in the hobby.

That said, I'd still like to see those Nale brothers outfish me by a mile ????

Posted on: 2/17 10:37

From Chester County
Quote:

jifigz wrote:
Quote:

afishinado wrote:
Quote:

jifigz wrote:

I fished bait way back when I kept fish. When I became a C&R fisherman I gave up fishing bait because deep hooking a certain amount fish is inevitable.

Fishing lures was fun, I caught a lot of fish, but it got a little boring. It's not just about reeling in a bunch of fish, at least for me.

I really got into the fly fishing > fly tying > match-the-hatch challenge for trout. Rather than measuring my success by catching a bunch of fish, I found that identifying insects, tying a fly to match the flies hatching, and catching trout on my fly to be the ultimate challenge and pursuit.

Later I discovered fly-fishing and fly tying is a great challenge for all fish, both fresh and saltwater.

So here I am.....not bored at all. In fact, the more I delve into all the aspects of fly-fishing, the more I realise how much there is out there for me to learn.

Well yeah AFISH, everything is just more fun. There is more to learn. In fact, a lot to learn. I'm young, only 31, but I'll put myself up against the Nale brothers any day. I'm not being arrogant. I just know that I have learned a lot about catching fish and many types of them and have studied it almost fanatically ever since I was a kid. It is something I'm good at. And I love sharing my knowledge with others and hopefully they find joy in the hobby.

That said, I'd still like to see those Nale brothers outfish me by a mile ????

I can tell you, that you may evolve or go in a different direction in your fishing....or not.

Like I posted earlier...."not that there's anything wrong with that!"

Lotsa fish, big fish, spin fish, fly-fish.....the bottom line should always include both enjoyment as well as conservation.

Posted on: 2/17 10:57

From Chester County
Quote:

troutbert wrote:
Quote:

Brown71 wrote:

It's very boring.

I would agree if the thread was about mepps vs panther martins and rooster tails, but it's not. It's about contrasting spin fishing vs fly fishing, logging and counting fish, catching 100's of thousands of fish, etc.

Posted on: 2/17 11:03

From Granville
Enjoyment and conservation are all that matter. This thread is almost pointless. And I'm going to start keeping a river smallmouth bass journal....now how do I keep it dry when I fall in while wading? Hmmmmm

Posted on: 2/17 11:16

From Granville
And honestly.......a casting jigging spoon will outfish an inline spinner. Just my opinion though.

Posted on: 2/17 11:18

From Northern VA
I agree with whoever it was who said no matter what method you are using, you can learn a lot from spin guys. I ALWAYS talk to other anglers if they're willing and sometimes they've given me absolutely fantastic information. Leading me to a new, very good spot, or learning how to catch fish in a certain area. It's been especially helpful for other species besides trout, such as smallies and striped bass.

I'm a bit of a numbers guy too and can understand the desire to obsessively log data. My interest in actually doing so fluctuates, but I can tell you how many fish I caught on my best days on probably every stream I've fished. I count while I'm out there and really good days stick in my head, other days may or may not stick. I think Frank's switch is just flipped to on all the time. I see no issue with it.

Posted on: 2/17 11:18

From SE Pa
I think this proves that spin fishermen stretch the truth better then a fly fishermen.

Posted on: 2/17 11:34

Going on a fly fishing website and saying you can catch more and larger trout with spin gear and bait than fly fishers can with fly gear is similar to going on a horse fanatics website and saying that you can travel faster and carry more stuff in your SUV than they can on horseback.

Posted on: 2/17 11:35

From Granville
Quote:

troutbert wrote:
Going on a fly fishing website and saying you can catch more and larger trout with spin gear and bait than fly fishers can with fly gear is similar to going on a horse fanatics website and saying that you can travel faster and carry more stuff in your SUV than they can on horseback.

I disagree. Your statement conveys that fly fishing is less effective than using a spinning rod. That isn't true. It just depends on the situation. We all know that.

Posted on: 2/17 12:16

From Burke VA
Lost interest in spin fishing many years ago. I would rather catch nothing fly fishing than "crush it" spin fishing, that's just my personality. I don't back down from a challenge and that's what fly fishing is to me, a greater challenge. As far as bait fishing of course you catch more and bigger fish, they don't let go when they eat. I really don't think a night crawler would get that many more takes over a san juan worm. The difference is the san juan gets spit out in a fraction of a second(often undetectable) where a night crawler gets swallowed. Fish how you want within the law, more power to you.

Posted on: 2/17 12:16

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 10 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Sponsors
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

USGS Water Levels
The New Keystone Fly Fishing Book
Polls
Where do you most want to fly fish outside the region?
Western US 39% (31)
Alaska 10% (8)
New Zealand 32% (26)
Florida Keys 3% (3)
South America 6% (5)
Elsewhere 7% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2018/3/17 12:44
6 Comments

Copyright 2018 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com