Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 10 »

Re: The Nale Brothers

From Lititz, PA
I read his posts because I fish two canoe trips where I can catch trout even though they are stocked trout. Those canoe trips are the very upper Greenbrier River and Smoke Hole section of the South Branch of the Potomac River.

I find that his method of casting upstream and working the spinner downstream just fast enough very effective. We keep just enough of these trout for a grilled supper over campfire coals and fried in sausage grease for breakfast to make everything work when we are a combo of cold, wet, and drunk.

Everything else is released for the Ospreys and ever increasing Bald Eagles that we see.

I have caught wild trout on the upper Delaware River on both spinners and floating Rapala's, but that was way back in the 1980's. I don't think that I could do that now given all of the increased fishing pressure.

Posted on: 2/16 19:22

From Peasant Gap
Well as far as them being spin fisherman, I don’t think that prevents any of us from learning from them. George Daniel has referenced the Nales more than once when talking streamer fishing. Galloup has indicated the very best source of fishing knowledge as it applies to streamers is from the spin guys, just that most fly fishermen are above listening to them.

As for them keeping stats, this can be very educational too for those interested in them. Their stats about the number, size, and type of trout caught when compared to water type, conditions, and weather are pretty fascinating. I think anyone
interested in keeping this kind of data could learn from it.

I think the OP was interested in learning more and sharing knowledge which I think is the point of this forum

Posted on: 2/16 19:23

From State College PA
Mark is different from Frank. I have never heard mark brag about fish numbers-although I have some disagreements with him over the impact and interpretations of the bald eagle catch and release results.
Having fished with Mark when trying to catch trout for the LJRA telemetry study, he is not catching 17 trout per hour......
Mark is a great ambassador for the outdoors. Not saying Frank is a bad guy, but Mark does a lot to promote the outdoors through his photography and writing on the subject.

Posted on: 2/16 19:28

From Burke VA
Quote:

Brown71 wrote:
Ryan, point is I have just been reading some of their posts, and they are very good fisherman, and I just thought Id mention it being that this is a fishing site. The info interested me, I am a stat guy, and have also kept accurate stats for more than 20 years, mainly on large fish though. Nothing more and nothing less.

These guys love to trout fish. That is it.

I have had several members on here PM me about posting some info of my big fish for this year, and ill probably do it when I get time. Some people like that stuff, and it doesn't mean they want credit or glory. I have a maniacal passion for big trout fishing. I keep accurate record of it, to look back from year to year. It doesn't mean anything more than that.

My .02 LOL

I guess I should have explained further, I don't know who those guys are so a little more information other than a shout out would have been helpful. Like I said a google search turned up nothing. I have no idea what other board they post on or if they post on this one. Just read afish's post with a sample and I don't care for it but that just my opinion of one short blurb, maybe one geared towards fly fishing I would enjoy more. Based on people's responses I guess most people know these gentleman but I don't. For what it's worth I would love to see some info and/or pics on your fly fishing.

Posted on: 2/16 20:04

From PA
timbow, no harm man, I get ya. I and I will post some of my big fish results from the last few years when I get time. I am not much of a pic poster though, but if you do search on this site I have posted some large ones several times in the 30" plus brown threads.

Longlinerelease, you are exactly right, I simply posted this to share the information.

ryansheehan, as I said above, Ill post some info for you guys very soon, ill be happy to share it with those interested. I have said on here before though, most of my big fish fishing is also done with a spin rod, but not spinners. Mostly eggs or worms actually. The REALLY big browns are suckers for these tactics on a long rod with light line. Remember, as Ive stated on here many times, I'm after the largest of large browns, fish running 23 or 24 up to 30+ inches.

When I first started chasing big trout, I fly fished mainly. After I figured out what worked, I went back to the noodle rod. I flyfish in summer when I'm not after the big boys. I figured Id post that disclaimer now so I don't upset anyone that didn't read it in the old posts. LOL LOL.

I could post some really interesting stories about how I figured how much more bait works for big browns than flies, but those are other stories for other days, I don't have the time to type it all out right now LOL.

Posted on: 2/16 20:26

From Greensburg, PA
Quote:

Bruno wrote:

NNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Over under on posts with a math break down of their numbers. Come on whos first ?

I'm out...

Posted on: 2/16 21:40

From Granville
The only time I have ever heard of these guys was in the Joe Armstrong book and there he referenced them a lot. I put almost zero stock in that book if that means anything. I will say this, of course we can learn a lot about fly fishing or fish behavior in general from any kind of fishing and any kind of fish related experiences. Sure, fishing with hard baits, stick baits, soft plastics and all other types can help you fish streamers just as fishing with bait can help you with nymphs. It is all so similar.

Quote:

Brown71 wrote:

I could post some really interesting stories about how I figured how much more bait works for big browns than flies, but those are other stories for other days, I don't have the time to type it all out right now LOL.

And of course bait works wonderfully at catching fish and big fish to boot. Bait is REAL and has FLAVOR and SCENT. This is the exact reason I quit using bait when I was about 10 and have never touched it since unless I'm taking a kid fishing. The very effectiveness of it is what makes me not want to use it. Of course trout will like a big juicy nightcrawler but I know I'll feel more elation when I get them to eat some opossum fur wrapped with some thread.

Posted on: 2/17 6:38

From Mont Co, Pa
Quote:

LongLineRelease wrote: Their stats about the number, size, and type of trout caught when compared to water type, conditions, and weather are pretty fascinating. I think anyone
interested in keeping this kind of data could learn from it.

This is exactly the type of information I keep record of for every fishing trip I go on. I don't bring a note book streamside though, my memory serves me well enough until I get home. I compare results from year to year to see similarities or differences that might help me on future fishing trips. I also take pics of notable fish, usually of a bigger trout or an extra pretty one. To each his/her own I guess.

Posted on: 2/17 7:43

Jifigz,
For me, the enjoyment of simply catching big trout far outweighs the "how" in catching them, and that includes night fly fishing. Bait, spinners, plugs ,flies...it's all good. I generally don't stick to one technique and fight the odds when, under the conditions at hand, another technique is more appropriate. If the odds are about equal, then I will generally pick a preferred technique OR one for which I am already rigged.

As for the Nale data, bring it! I have no objection to numbers, feeling that perhaps my techniques may be inferior, and then through understanding some their techniques upping my game.

Posted on: 2/17 9:14

From PA
jfigz, to each their own man, I respect whatever each person gets a kick out of catching a trout on.

But, as Mike said, my passion/goal in trout fishing is to catch huge browns around these parts. It doesn’t make a lick of difference to me when I bank a 29 incher what’s hanging out of his mouth lol.

Good fishing to all you guys this is great discussion.

Posted on: 2/17 9:31

From lancaster county
Quote:
The only time I have ever heard of these guys was in the Joe Armstrong book and there he referenced them a lot. I put almost zero stock in that book if that means anything. I will say this, of course we can learn a lot about fly fishing or fish behavior in general from any kind of fishing and any kind of fish related experiences. Sure, fishing with hard baits, stick baits, soft plastics and all other types can help you fish streamers just as fishing with bait can help you with nymphs. It is all so similar.

Quote:

Brown71 wrote:

And of course bait works wonderfully at catching fish and big fish to boot. Bait is REAL and has FLAVOR and SCENT. This is the exact reason I quit using bait when I was about 10 and have never touched it since unless I'm taking a kid fishing. The very effectiveness of it is what makes me not want to use it. Of course trout will like a big juicy nightcrawler but I know I'll feel more elation when I get them to eat some opossum fur wrapped with some thread.

To each their own, but I'm with you. I like a challenge and even when I go bowling I don't put the bumpers down.
Nothing gets me going more than fly fishing.

Posted on: 2/17 9:35

From lancaster county
As far as Nale, again to each their own, but I know from experience and others that his numbers caught on treble hooks can severely impact a wild trout fishery.
Then his own becomes my own and I have no love for the guy.
Carry on.

Posted on: 2/17 9:38

From Granville
Mike,

I agree with you 100%. People should do whatever makes them happy. The only thing that ruffles my feathers is when people don't follow regs, litter, or are just generally inconsiderate to others, especially children. I've got nothing against people using bait, lures, or whatever else as long as it is legal. Heck, I even bought line to replace all of my dry rotted line on my bass rods so maybe I'll be pitching jigheads and Texas rigs again this season for a bit.

I'm too lazy to keep that detailed of records like the Nale brothers. I'm quite content keeping nothing but memories and knowledge I've gained over the years.

Posted on: 2/17 9:39

From Granville
My number one "beef" with bait, personally, is that I don't like having to worry about catching bait, buying bait, is the bait I bought/caught still alive? Artificial lures/flies are always there and ready to go and I've always found that to far outweigh any positives to bait. Bait catches fish and lots of them, no doubt about it.

Posted on: 2/17 9:45

From Chester County
Quote:

jifigz wrote:
My number one "beef" with bait, personally, is that I don't like having to worry about catching bait, buying bait, is the bait I bought/caught still alive? Artificial lures/flies are always there and ready to go and I've always found that to far outweigh any positives to bait. Bait catches fish and lots of them, no doubt about it.

I fished bait way back when I kept fish. When I became a C&R fisherman I gave up fishing bait because deep hooking a certain amount fish is inevitable.

Fishing lures was fun, I caught a lot of fish, but it got a little boring. It's not just about reeling in a bunch of fish, at least for me.

I really got into the fly fishing > fly tying > match-the-hatch challenge for trout. Rather than measuring my success by catching a bunch of fish, I found that identifying insects, tying a fly to match the flies hatching, and catching trout on my fly to be the ultimate challenge and pursuit.

Later I discovered fly-fishing and fly tying is a great challenge for all fish, both fresh and saltwater.

So here I am.....not bored at all. In fact, the more I delve into all the aspects of fly-fishing, the more I realise how much there is out there for me to learn.

Posted on: 2/17 10:13

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 10 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Sponsors
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook Trident Fly Fishing

RSS Feed

USGS Water Levels
The New Keystone Fly Fishing Book
Polls

Copyright 2018 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com