The Homestead Hot Springs, VA

giantsjim

giantsjim

Thought I would throw this out there since it was a neat experience. While known as a premier golf destination, The Homestead, about an hour out from Roanoke, VA, has several excellent trout streams nearby the resort. You may know the Jackson and James rivers in the vicinity.

Yesterday, I had a few hours open up from work and was able to walk to the local Orvis shop and get a guide for a 3 hour tour along the Cascades and Cedar Creek from 2-5 PM. I have fished with this guide before so he took me to some areas that have not been highly pressurized by the guests or locals.

The creeks are anywhere from 15-20 feet wide with a fair amount of brush and lots of runs and pools. He certainly earned his keep retrieving flies from the limbs and fixing knotted lines. But he also taught me some casting techniques as we fished which is always a plus for me. These cold creeks were filled with stocked and streambred trout and he put me on them.

Plenty of bugs were coming off: black caddis, sulphurs and drakes. Air temp was high 50's and water temp was a bit lower. While I had moderate success surface fishing catching smaller wilds and stockers, the real deal was nymphing with a double rig. Highlights were a 14" stocked rainbow and a beautiful 12" wild rainbow. Throw in another 8-10 smaller ones (not including the ones I lost) and it was a great few hours spent in a fabulous setting.

If you are ever around Roanoke, bring your gear and enjoy the fishing.

Back