The Erie Experience

S

Squaretail

Img_6719.jpg

Having been to the Salmon river in NY and not having too much success, it was only a matter of time before I went to Erie and its tribs. For the second time in about a month, my fishing partner cancelled at the last minute on me. This time I decided to go anyway and Chick would have to be companionship enough for me.
The ride up was long and rained the whole way and had me apprehensive of things to come.

Img_6710.jpg

Having never been there, I used the map to find my way around. And found the water as bad as I feared. This fellow was one of 4 people I saw catch one out of well over 100 men at Walnut creek.
Almost a 1st day atmosphere as an ambulance showed for one man and I watched another take a NASTY fall face-first into the shallows and crawl to the bank as he was rushing with net in hand to one of the men who actually caught a fish. Not really liking what I was seeing I wenty to Poor Richards and they told me to try one of the smaller tribs as there will be less pressure and the water would clear up faster.

Img_6712.jpg

I had only ever heard of 16 Mile creek a couple times before and although somewhat high and colored, it was certainly fishable. Some fellow I was talking too and told him I had come up alone was so happy for me he came down after this fish ran me clear to the lake and asked if he could take this shot for me. It turned out that at this creek , even though there were extra fishermen because of water levels elsewhere, there were mostly locals and flymen and seemed more comfortable as there were no shenanigans. Just a bunch of guys fishing and actually having conversations across the water as we fished. Being later in the day I was only able to get 3 on tues.

Img_6726.jpg

Steelhead, with the appearance of this one are called "Chromers" and evidently are the fresh ones from the lake. I was told they are the fiercest fighters and its very true. Outlandish runs and leaps with speed I had never quite witnessed before from a trout. And thats no overexagerration. I saw some leap out of the water and land on the bank. It gave me a new found appreciation of rainbows.

Img_6723.jpg

But when you have fish averaging 2 ft , it doesnt seem to matter wether they're fresh of not because your going to have a minimum 10 minute fight anyway. Being the sucker for their beauty that I am, I enjoyed this one the most although he wasn't the best fight.
I took 13 on my last day (wed) and they sure made for a full day as alot of folks went to Walnut and Elk hoping for better conditions.
I can tell you this without out it being opinionated advice:
They CAN be spooked.
Bring a ton of tackle as you will lose quite a bit.
Take some Ben-gay.

My shoulders and collar-bone are killing me.

Beautiful photos Squaretail. Looks like you played your cards right and got into the fish. I still get a shiver when I think about the initial run these fish make. What was your hook-up to landing percentage like? I think landing one in three is pretty good for these fresh strong fish.

Beautiful. Nice pics. Must have been a great day for you.

Thats a pretty good assesment on the ratio. I had one that got the line wrapped around himself during the fight and had barely any pressure on him but when he started shaking and arching back and forth he busted the line of himself. Kinda like when David Banner turned into the Hulk and would break thru his shirt.
Well, maybe not QUITE like that :)
Sure was fun. And I forgot add that besides the usual flies, when it got sunny it seemed that a black wooly bugger had them running to my line for awhile.

Glad you got into'em. Gauging the rain and flow is mucho important to success there. I think getting to good holding water super early in the morning say rt.20 and downstream is important. (to beat crowds) As the season goes along and you can move upstream you find less pressure. Not no pressure but less.

Last time in Erie- I saw more flyfisherman and spinners.

Back