Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 14 »

Re: The Elitist Fly Fisherman....Reality or Myth?

I think it was the same in the Eastern part of the state 50 years ago. There were some amazing bait fishermen (mostly local experts). Everybody - fly or bait - always kept there limit. A lot of the fly fishermen were visiting "dudes" who didn't have a clue. At the FFO nearest me as a kid the big trout would always hold under the banks and the decked out fly guys would wade right over them to fish in the middle of the stream - arrrghhhh. No 10-year local would spook the fish so. Anybody who was a real fishermen would also prefer a cast iron skillet full of "natives" for breakfast over a colorless, tasteless stockie any day.

Things sure have changed.

Posted on: 2013/2/7 14:05

From Ephrata, PA
Okay. What is "TAP"?

Posted on: 2013/2/7 14:07

From Portage, PA
Okay. What is "TAP"?

Not wise to go there on this board i learned that one SAS ;)

Posted on: 2013/2/7 14:10

From Other side of the tracks
Tarded Anglers of PA.

A bunch of guys who chase the white trucks and only use bait.

Posted on: 2013/2/7 14:10

From Portage, PA
Dave we don't have to chase the truck we are the truck ;)

Posted on: 2013/2/7 14:11

Seriously though...

TAP, "about us."

Posted on: 2013/2/7 14:12

Quote:

mike_richardson wrote:
Dave we don't have to chase the truck we are the truck ;)

I wanted to work that in there, but it would have taken me too long.

Posted on: 2013/2/7 14:13

From Portage, PA
and.....

Posted on: 2013/2/7 14:13

What?

Posted on: 2013/2/7 14:15

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Us message board heroes see this whole thing as bait/spin vs. fly. And it's predicated on our experiences, though those experiences are different for all of us, and sometimes depend on where you grew up.

But it's not ultimately about tackle choice. It's really avid angler vs. beginner. And I don't mean "beginner" by how long you've been fishing, I mean it by how serious you are about it. "Avidity" means caring to learn about the sport, the ethics, the fish and their ecosystems. And it is not ultimately related to tackle choice. It may be correlated, but those correlations vary by location.

FWIW, while I do not agree totally with TAP, but I do find areas of agreement. For instance, I don't think any special regs should be implemented unless necessary. I do think, for more popular destination type streams, C&R is necessary to extend fishing opportunities. But even then, I much prefer AT C&R to ALO or FFO. Those latter 2 should be downright rare and used only after AT C&R has proven to be insufficient for that water. AT C&R excludes nobody, it merely excludes harvest.

And I can understand a bait fisherman feeling excluded by FFO regs, as they may not own fly equipment and it would take years to become proficient with it. I cannot understand them feeling excluded by harvest restrictions.

Posted on: 2013/2/7 14:18

From Portage, PA
OK now i am starting to sink into trolling. Im out for a while. feel free to discuss TAP and bash it, and everything it stands for.

:)

Posted on: 2013/2/7 14:19

Here is my opinion on trout fishing.

1. No stream that is stocked should be C&R only.
2. Less streams should be stocked.
C. Special regs are for "special" people.

those signs all over the place really suck.

Posted on: 2013/2/7 14:22

From Frederick, MD & New Philly, OH
Personally, when I see someone spin fishing a FFO section I get really pissed. I'm contemplating vehicle destruction and drowning them! No seriously...I explain to them that it's against the law and why the stream is regulated. I also suggest stockes streams and panther martins with an orange tail... deadly. I'm an all tackle guy. I prefer using a spinning rod when bass fishing. I fly fish when hunting trout. I have friends that think they are the cats ass and that fly fishing is the only way to go. I have no problem fishing a stream that is an ATW that gets stocked over a wild population and seeing a spin fisherman exercising his privilage. My elitist blood boils when I see too many fish being kept or culled, litter, or a law being broken.

Posted on: 2013/2/7 14:25

From Portage, PA
My elitist blood boils when I see too many fish being kept or culled, litter, or a law being broken.

I don't think that is elitist blood that is a true fishermans blood that would boil at these things.

Posted on: 2013/2/7 14:30

For the record, I was mostly joking although those 3 positions I stated are indeed my opinion. Third one was a stretch, but honestly I usually avoid them.

Midgeman, littering is a hot button for me, too.

Posted on: 2013/2/7 14:32

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 14 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com