The America Cup International Fly Fishing Tournament

wetnet

wetnet

My son is not home yet and I heard that he will be leaving Sept 6th to Compete in the America Cup in Colorado as a member of the Team USA Youth Fly Fishing Team. He gets to put his waders on and get them wet this time. Pretty exciting for him but more so for me because the hubbie and I plan to go.

We have not had a vacation in many years!!!

These are the comp waters:

The Arkansas River - from the DOW access at Granite to Kobe fishing site.
The Blue River - Site to be determined.
Ten Mile Creek - from the town of Frisco to Copper Mountain Resort.
The Upper Colorado River - above the junction of the Eagle - all private 2 miles up.

As many of you have pointed out that comps do interfere with the publics access to waters so guess what. I'm going to have to find some non comp waters to fish. What goes around definitely comes around but I'm guessing you all know I'm not horribly sad about it this time so please forgive me. Again I will not watch my son fish. I'll definitely check out some of the adult visiting teams and of course our guys from Team USA.

I'm sure the locals can point out some places to go but if any of you have had the pleasure to fish CO and have some favorite places let me know. I'm into seeing the sites as well so and cool places to visit would also be great.

Just a subnote to the ladies: There is a womens Team competing as well!

You can check it out at:http://www.theamericacup.com/teams.html

Foreign countries, women and children. They must have one brave crew organizing this!!!

Check out Pikes Peak, Garden of the Gods, and the South Platte River near Colorado Springs. I had a nice time fishing the South Platte in Eleven Mile Canyon a couple years ago.

wetnet- I am sure those are all awesome waters.

Guessing that your a check nympher- Cheesman Canyon is a check nymphers dream. I am sure you will have a great time.

The Blue is great. I actually lived right on the stream for a summer. I was still a spin guy at the time but it was great.

Here's a bit of interesting info:

There is a member of this forum that will be competing in this competition, and that person is listed as a competitor on the team listing. Let's see if anyone can I.D. this regular poster to the PAFF forum......... :cool:

Hint: Think outside the box....

Farmer Dave?

FarmerDave given the hint is a good guess. Im going to have to assume with all the other activities...ie: getting a car to run on poop.....dave dont have the time to go cross country fishing.

I would guess myself given the hint also...but then again i already know its not me. :lol:

I going to have to go with dkile. he is a regular poster but not enough to figue him off the bat ;-)

It's me. I'm actually a female.

Tell them to get a PAFLYFISH hat and wear it during the tourney.

No cigar - yet. Think outside the box - as in not a US team!

OhioOutdoorsman?

do you mean US = pennsylvania

or

US = Untied States?

I did not see Miro Slovnik on the Polish Team. Whatever happened to Miro anyhow? Someone said he was at the Jamboree this year.

JackM wrote:
I did not see Miro Slovnik on the Polish Team. Whatever happened to Miro anyhow? Someone said he was at the Jamboree this year.

Jack - That was really funny!

Just in case you don't know, Miro is not Polish. In fact he's not even Miro Slovnik. That's just an alias from his CIA days. :-D He does have something in common with the PAFF member in the America Cup tournament though - they're both of Asian descent. The "other" PAFF member is lestrout. He's fishing for the team from Japan. I had the honor of meeting Les down at the Little Lehigh last weekend. He's an amazing individual, that's for sure. The man really knows his stuff.

Congrats to Les. I had the honor of riding with him to the Somerset FF Show this year. He is truly one of the most knowledgeable FF I’ve met, and I found that Les knows everyone that anyone in the sport.

Coincidentally, I was with him when he was seeking out a Japanese made boo rod and test cast a few with him. For those that don’t know, Les is a SERIOUS boo guy, and has a collection of rods that would make even Leonard and Payne jealous. Spending the entire day talking to him, he almost had me believing that boo rods were superior to all other type rods, but I came to my senses after casting a few.

The Japanese team has a ringer, but if Les handicaps himself by using a boo rod, I guess that would be okay. Good luck to Les and good luck to all.

Was just reading my post from yesterday. Obviously, was not thinking clearly with my Steelers hangover. You know the kind where you can hear/feel your pulse in your ear.

Czech for check.

C after Z but not before E. My spelling stinks. Glad to see the new spell check. Kudo's to the guys that added it!

OK know add punctuation and plain just verbal abuse. 'Now" not "know". Not verbal..I hope there are no English profs here.

I cannot wait to see everything in CO. I'm no great angler, but will have the pleasure to see how good it can get while being extremely happy with how much I enjoy stinking at it! :)

Back