Thanks for the Infection

JakesLeakyWaders

JakesLeakyWaders

Hooked up to an IV right now.

Had been walkin around with a swollen sore finger all weekend after fishing The Susquehanna River and Conewago Creek last week. Now my whole hand is sore and it started tracking up my arm.

Being pumped full of antibiotics at this moment. Maybe this explains why I felt so tired all weekend on my vacation. There's just no time for rest when You don't have to work.

Jake you get cut or something? Sorry to hear , on anti biotics?

And people continually ask me why I don't keep everything I catch. Get better!!! Scary stuff.

Why I wear waders constantly. Maybe I should wear gloves too.

+1 on the waders.

On Monday I dinged myself with a hook, and forced it to keep bleeding an bit (figuring that washes it out some) and then hit it with an antiseptic wipe and band-aid. Didn't worry about that stuff 20 years ago, but maybe I should have.

Geez, I was actually thinking of going bass fishing and doing a little wet wading, but I think not, esp not with my granddaughter. I still recall the story of the guy who got an infection on the LJR and ended up losing his leg. Waders for me; hippers on the cricks.

Always use protection :-D

Dear, dear, what the hay, this forum and infections, is all our water really this filthy or what? Did you old timers see people get infections like this or did people just never go to the doctor back then and realize how close to death they were?

As a guy whom treats these exact types of infections, I can tell you I think we are getting soft as a species. Antibacterial EVERYTHING leads to more and more resistant strains and we (IMO) are not building any kind of immune system strength from using all of this crap. As with everything else we humans find useful, we can't just use antibiotics when truly needed, we have to exploit the resource. We run it into the ground and then render it and ultimately us useless.

I see more and more infections from normal environmental flora that our own bodies should have no problem keeping in check. I still wet wade because I refuse to fly fish in a bubble. If it comes to that...I'll just have to die from it :-/

BTW, this was not pointed at JakesLeakyWaders. I'm just ranting. I have no idea how you got infected bro. It is becoming all too common, unfortunately.

JakesLeakyWaders wrote:
Hooked up to an IV right now.

Had been walkin around with a swollen sore finger all weekend after fishing The Susquehanna River and Conewago Creek last week. Now my whole hand is sore and it started tracking up my arm.

Being pumped full of antibiotics at this moment. Maybe this explains why I felt so tired all weekend on my vacation. There's just no time for rest when You don't have to work.

That sucks! I know you said you were very tired Sunday but I didnt see anything going on with your hands. Good luck and have them pump you full of antibiotics and head it off.

Regarding waders I firmly believe there is more bacteria in most waders than streams.

Bummer. Sawp my rototor cuff trouble with ya.

That sucks. Did you get it from an injury while fishing?

Did they order a culture to figure out what the bug is? (just curious - I'm a medical lab technology student right now)

PatrickC wrote:
As a guy whom treats these exact types of infections, I can tell you I think we are getting soft as a species. Antibacterial EVERYTHING leads to more and more resistant strains and we (IMO) are not building any kind of immune system strength from using all of this crap.

Agree, a lot of dish soaps are putting in triclosan and almost every shampoo and body wash is including methylisothiazolinone, which is a biocide, and it is all going into the waterways.

I tend to buy a real soap, like Bronners, and dilute it for shower and hand washing to not support this waste to profit junk.

As an old timer. I just don't know. When I was young and fished with Dad on the main Juniata for bass, at least 3 papermills were still putting their waste into the branches. We never got any infections way back when (before mid 1970s). We even ate the bass without any deleterious effects, though Jack et. al. may say that's why I'm "warped." But, seriously, if I ever go there again, I will don a pair of waders. I've lived to be 63 somehow; I don't want to die by wet wading.

It sounds more like he got bit by a wolf spider or recluse. Did you get some bush/limb snags?

PatrickC wrote:
As a guy whom treats these exact types of infections, I can tell you I think we are getting soft as a species. Antibacterial EVERYTHING leads to more and more resistant strains and we (IMO) are not building any kind of immune system strength from using all of this crap. As with everything else we humans find useful, we can't just use antibiotics when truly needed, we have to exploit the resource. We run it into the ground and then render it and ultimately us useless.

I see more and more infections from normal environmental flora that our own bodies should have no problem keeping in check. I still wet wade because I refuse to fly fish in a bubble.
I hear ya. My Dr never gives me antibiotics anymore. But what about the "flesh eating" virus or bacteria? I remember a story about a girl getting it from, supposedly, scraping her knee in the woods. Then there the story about the girl who lost her limbs from the infection.

Is that something new?

Quote:
"BTW, this was not pointed at JakesLeakyWaders. I'm just ranting. I have no idea how you got infected bro. It is becoming all too common, unfortunately."
End Quote.

I am in my thirties and this is the first time I've ever needed an IV. I never take antibiotics, I am rarely ever sick. And the last time I had been in the ER was 2005. Started getting a little panic and anxiety when my finger went from sore to swollen and finally to the point where the back of my hand hurt to the touch and my forearm began feeling sore and with redness.

Docs gave me one IV drip, I guess it was pretty serious, and prescribed me two separate antibiotics.

I still think "Spider bite" but It could also have been a baby rattlesnake. What your describing sounds more like those in the way it is spreading out from finger to hand to arm. That is usually how venom works. But since i'm not a doctor.

I think even a baby rattler would leave a mark, but a spider, most times you never know it, and the symptons can be just like Jake described.
regardless, hope you heal up soon!

Back