Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Thanks for the Infection

From Philadelphia PA
It sounds more like he got bit by a wolf spider or recluse. Did you get some bush/limb snags?

Posted on: 2013/6/25 21:17
"I am respected when I walk into any fly shop. Salespeople wait on me hand and waders. I once tried underwater casting just to see if I could. I am the most admired Fly Fisherman in the world. And when I fly-fish, I use the Orvis Access. Stay Fishing MF

From Lambertville
[quote]
PatrickC wrote:
As a guy whom treats these exact types of infections, I can tell you I think we are getting soft as a species. Antibacterial EVERYTHING leads to more and more resistant strains and we (IMO) are not building any kind of immune system strength from using all of this crap. As with everything else we humans find useful, we can't just use antibiotics when truly needed, we have to exploit the resource. We run it into the ground and then render it and ultimately us useless.

I see more and more infections from normal environmental flora that our own bodies should have no problem keeping in check. I still wet wade because I refuse to fly fish in a bubble.[quote]

I hear ya. My Dr never gives me antibiotics anymore. But what about the "flesh eating" virus or bacteria? I remember a story about a girl getting it from, supposedly, scraping her knee in the woods. Then there the story about the girl who lost her limbs from the infection.

Is that something new?

Posted on: 2013/6/25 21:19

From York County
Quote:
"BTW, this was not pointed at JakesLeakyWaders. I'm just ranting. I have no idea how you got infected bro. It is becoming all too common, unfortunately."
End Quote.

I am in my thirties and this is the first time I've ever needed an IV. I never take antibiotics, I am rarely ever sick. And the last time I had been in the ER was 2005. Started getting a little panic and anxiety when my finger went from sore to swollen and finally to the point where the back of my hand hurt to the touch and my forearm began feeling sore and with redness.

Docs gave me one IV drip, I guess it was pretty serious, and prescribed me two separate antibiotics.

Posted on: 2013/6/25 23:30

From Philadelphia PA
I still think "Spider bite" but It could also have been a baby rattlesnake. What your describing sounds more like those in the way it is spreading out from finger to hand to arm. That is usually how venom works. But since i'm not a doctor.

Posted on: 2013/6/26 5:58
"I am respected when I walk into any fly shop. Salespeople wait on me hand and waders. I once tried underwater casting just to see if I could. I am the most admired Fly Fisherman in the world. And when I fly-fish, I use the Orvis Access. Stay Fishing MF

From harlansburg
I think even a baby rattler would leave a mark, but a spider, most times you never know it, and the symptons can be just like Jake described.
regardless, hope you heal up soon!

Posted on: 2013/6/26 6:29

From LV
There are no native recluses in PA.

Posted on: 2013/6/26 17:45

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

Chaz wrote:

Don't be so sure.....

From this article:

"To address the issue of brown recluse distribution, Saupe and other researchers used a predictive mapping technique called ecological niche modeling. They applied future climate change scenarios to the spider's known distribution in the Midwest and southern United States. The researchers concluded that the range may expand northward, potentially invading previously unaffected regions. Newly influenced areas may include parts of Nebraska, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, South Dakota, Ohio, and Pennsylvania."

Posted on: 2013/6/26 18:28

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
Quote:

Chaz wrote:

I heard they were coming to eat your brookies.

Attach file:

jpg  mmmmm brookies.jpg (28.50 KB)
3949_51cb87f748a04.jpg 273X185 px

Posted on: 2013/6/26 20:32

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

From Landenberg, PA
Drink your local tap water and eat your local organic honey. That should protect you from most allergens. Take priobotics daily too.

No help with spiders or blood poisoning from a rusty hook or nail though...

Posted on: 2013/6/26 21:33

From Wrightsville
I've read these type of wet wading post's for a few years now and I hope everything works out for you.

I fish lower susky quite a bit and I can't imagine any way to avoid the water.

Whether it's holding a cat to release it or putting a canoe in the water or wetting a knot...it doesn't make difference. You're going to contact the water.

A lot of people swim in the river. (including me) I've always taken my kids to the river on hot days to play in the water.

I haven't done that with my youngest. I think I've been reading too much.

No answers here. But I do have a lot of questions.

Posted on: 2013/6/26 22:55

I wet wade probably more then anyone you guys know, so this is really interesting to me. I have been doing it since I was 10 or 12, and don't really have any plans on stopping any time soon, even after reading this. I don't do any freshwater swimming, I have always been worried about swallowing any sum of water, but wading and fishing have always seemed pretty safe to me. If anything I worry slightly about my pee hole. Heck, all summer my 7yo wet wades with me smallie fishing, but i think he might also eat dirt... Regardless, I have yet to catch anything.

It sounds like it might not even be water related. Did the doctor say it was definitely water related, or could it have been a bite? Did they do a culture to see exactly what was causing the infection? Regardless, get better man.

And what patrick said about antibiotics is really interesting. I agree 100% after having a long, kinda drunk, conversation with a doctor one night playing cards. He kind of opened up my eyes, he also said one of the worst things is that people take only part of their antibiotic prescription, not that it is exactly related to this.

Posted on: 2013/6/27 2:44

From Philadelphia PA
Chaz, What else do u not believe?

Posted on: 2013/6/27 6:15

From LV
The brown recluse spider is NOT native to PA, itwill travel in crates of oranges, but it is a southern species it's native range is the south.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Loxosceles_reclusa_range.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_recluse_spider

Posted on: 2013/6/27 6:54

From Gettysburg
I doubt Jakes' injury is a brown recluse spider bite.
I saw quite a few of these bites on buddies at Ft Benning GA and the bite site would be reddish followed by very localized necrotizing that required frequent bandage changes. Some of these bites remained chronic wounds for days or weeks but didn't seem to have effects beyond the immediate bite site (in my experience).

My guess would be that Jakes' problem is basically an infection caused by waterborne bacteria that entered a break in the skin. I still wet wade but am very careful about cuts and injuries and use ample quantities of peroxide if I get an injury while fishing.

Posted on: 2013/6/27 7:01

From NE OH
Quote:

the_last_waltz wrote:
I agree 100% after having a long, kinda drunk, conversation with a doctor one night playing cards...

I just want to point out that was not me Now if he had said "a kinda cigar smoking conversation..."

Hard to say how his infection started. Could have been an unnoticed crack in the skin, could have been a bite, could be a zillion things. The real take away is that he had a painful red hot swollen digit and did something about it before it needed opened up. If nothing else....please get that out of this thread. I tell people all of the time, "stop trying to be Superman and get these things checked out." Infection is opportunistic. Sometimes we just don't realize how out of whack things in our bodies are and when we think it can't happen to us...we leave the hospital without all of the body parts we entered with. Be smart!

Posted on: 2013/6/27 8:16

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com