Terrible week

mute

mute

Well ive been having such bad luck. The fishing was alright throughout the week, caught alot of nice size bass and a few still breathing browns in evansburg. I did however though manage to break my $150 digital camera by dunking it AND my $200 camcorder today. Man was i so mad when the tripod somehow magically just fell over out of no where. Theres also a few BIG suckers that swim around at the surface of the water. Not sure what to throw at them, any ideas?

"I did however though manage to break my $150 digital camera by dunking it AND my $200 camcorder..."

"Theres also a few BIG suckers that swim around at the surface of the water. Not sure what to throw at them, any ideas?"

I think you answered your own question.

ian_brown wrote:
"I did however though manage to break my $150 digital camera by dunking it AND my $200 camcorder..."

"Theres also a few BIG suckers that swim around at the surface of the water. Not sure what to throw at them, any ideas?"

I think you answered your own question.

LOL! You beat me to it. :lol:

Mute, dont give up. I am presently drying out my Canon 5.0 for the third time from Kettle after previous dunkings at Fishing and Yellow Breeches. I set mine in front of the AC unit, pull out the batteries and card and leave anything open that will open. Takes around 3 to 5 days. Its not a waterproof model and it was in silt at the Breeches.
Hopin' for ya.

I've brought back a camera and a cellphone before after dunkings, but I lost a camera and a cellphone after a spring break dunk in the ocean... saltwater is a different story...

Many factors effect successful rehab of drowned electronics, but key among them are the extent of damage to the circuitry from shorting. Immediately remove the batteries and do not replace them until the unit is completely dry. The next issue is to avoid corrosion, which can also cause shorting among other problems. Drying quickly and thoroughly is the key here. With a soft absorbent towel, blot all the water you can from every compartment, nook and cranny. If you can open up the item without damaging it, do so. After you blot all you can, then let dry thoroughly, the quicker the better, so rather than just letting it drip dry, put it in front of a fan. You could use heated air also to carry moisture away quicker, but I would be careful to overheat the item, which could cause damage of another sort. If shorting caused damage before the power source was removed, you stand no chance of reviving the item no matter how well you dry it, but if it didn't and you dry it well, you will have a functioning unit when the battery is returned. Good luck!

Throw them the destroyed cameras. BTW I've already lost 2 $500 digital cameras to streams, glad I had the service contract. They don't take to the water very well.

Jack gave some pretty good advice, but should stick to lawyering. :-D These devices can often be brought back from a dunking in fresh water. The electronics should still be fine. Fresh water really does not conduct all that well and shouldn't short anything out with such low voltages. If it was dunked with power off, your odds are even better. You are more likely to screw up the optics. Like Jack said, remove the battery pack immediately along with any other removable items, like memory cards.

Here is the thing. Water is not the biggest concern. It is what is in the water. So, if you got a bunch of dirty water in it, you might be better off to wash it out before going through the drying processes. The dirt will probably cause you problems down the road. In the old days, we used a plain old dish washer to clean circuit boards after assembly. Just try not to get water in the optics or the CCD. If you do, you might be SOL.

Back