Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Tenkara conclusions

I have not abandoned my regular flyrods. I bought a tenkara rod about 4years ago and find myself using it more and more for fishing small streams. It does have limitations but for most the streams I like to fish it is a really fun and effective way to catch trout. Here are some of my findings.

Dislikes-
Furled leaders. I dont like to use the furled leaders. If you get snagged in a tree these leaders get really twisted and are a pain to untwist. The flouro level lines are the way to go. They are lighter and you can lift the line easier off the water with the flouro.

Hooksetting. Alot of the Tenkara rods have a really soft action and they are really not designed for nymphing with heavier nymphs. I like to high stick nymph alot with 12-16 beadheads. You really have to rear back and set the hook hard or you will lose fish. I plan on trading mine in for one with a little bit more backbone. I missed 2 really nice browns on a small stream a couple of weeks ago because of this.

Small brushing streams or streamer fishing, not practical. You can catch trout with it on larger rivers but you have to use really long leaders and I would much rather have a regular flyrod and reel in these situations.

Winding conditions forget it.

Likes-
Presentation. Excellent. Their is zero line splash down or drag. Very effective for pocket water dryfly fishing. Great for high stick nymphing presentation. Also with the extra length, you can reach over seams without currents grabbing your line.
Portability. Packs down to about 15" in length. Good for bushwacking in between spots. Break down and sets up very quickly. I also like the simplicity of the tenkara rods. To me it is more primitive way of fishing and this enhances the experience of fishing for wild trout on small streams.
Fighting fish on the tenkara is alot of fun. The great majority of fish I catch on these streams are in the 5"-12"range but have landed fish as large as 23" on a tenkara rod.
I like to bluegill fish with the tenkara. This is also good way to introduce children to flyfishing. They seem to figure it out pretty quickly.

Posted on: 2013/5/13 12:44

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com