Ten days for Penns...

flybop

flybop

...to drop back down to a fishable level from the high flow today of almost 1000 cfs. What is going on back there? I have been checking the weather and it looked like there was no significant rain, and Penns was dropping nicely. Then, all of a sudden the graph goes vertical on me!!! Was there that much snow to melt and bring the stream roaring back up?

A few of us have plans to be fishing Penns the day after Christmas, staying in Milheim. The last three times I was home for Christmas it was blown out and basically uinfishable. Sure, Spring is a nice plan B, but my heart belongs to Penns and it has been years since I was able to fish her at a decent flow.

Hopefully the fishing gods will feel my pain and deliver a Christmas gift of decent conditions for me, Don T and Self inflicted. I will be leaving Montana Friday, the 18th, for the long drive to Pa. If any of you would do a "dropping flow" dance for us I would reall, really appreciate it!

big rain and snow melt last sunday

Penns -- she's fickle. NEVER let her know you have plans -- she'll burn you 9/10 times.

Streamer time! High water can be good.

Tow the boat east. ;-) 1000 on the drop....perfect!

Penns is at 887.

A possible noreaster is predicted this weekend. Gotta keep an eye on her.

Snow 4-6 inches..Snows better then rain..

1000 cfs IS fishable on penns!

Streamer tactics...I know what you mean though..I like Penns at about 290ish

Man, I been doing the "hold steady" dance since I talked to you.......fingers crossed. I really want to fish this creek.

VC, I would love to take my Clack down Penns. However, since it is a wade stream I wouldn't even take a toon down her. I think you would be lucky to get down the stream in one piece from the crowds attacking you.

Believe me, I have fished Penns when she was ripping many times and will make the trip even if she is high. Part of the reason I need to go there is to take my old lab, Drake in my avatar, home. I really would like to sprinkle some of his ashes back at his old stomping grounds. Drake and I have spent many, many days there.

As for the nor' easter, bring it on! A little snow will keep the girlie men home.

(no offense to dead dogs)

but to get into MT did they check you at the border...

20 something... check
from the east coast... check
Clack... check
Lab... check
Lab named after an aspect of FF...

you may enter

Ramcatt wrote:
(no offense to dead dogs)

but to get into MT did they check you at the border...

20 something... check
from the east coast... check
Clack... check
Lab... check
Lab named after an aspect of FF...

you may enter

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Ramcat, I had an easy pass to get back into Montana. You see, I am grandfather claused in since I lived in Montana for a year between high school and college. That was way before the "Damn Movie".

So, I was able to slip in through the boarder gaurds fairly easily. Now, if I had been trying to sneak into Montana from California, that would have been a very different story all together.

Actually, there are quite a few of us from Pa all over Montana. Paradise Valley has more than a handfull. The story line is very simular: We came to Montana to hunt or fish, fell in love and went back to Pa, quit the job, sold the house and loaded up the rig.

It has probably changed since 9/11 but you use to be able to drive into Canada from Montana with out being checked if you knew where.

call bruce at the fly shop he will tell ya what the creek is doing www.pennscreekangler.com great guy will help you with anything...i fished it on thanks giving break and it was roaring then...did well with small black midges and scuds green...tried a streamer and did even get a look

Having lived in Liverpool around 12 years and spending some good time on Penns , i seriously think you would not upset anyone if you took a float down her , specially in a pontoon , i say this from having lived there and knowing the folks and the fishers , as for myself i can say that even when i'm fishing somewhere that you don't usually encounter floaters , like 2 canoes on Clarks in the special regs section , they are there and then they are gone , i guess i've never seen what you must see out west , heavy traffic would be another thing , i am missing my left leg below the knee and though i still wade to fly fish the float trip thing really appeals to me , are you a guide yourself?

I love talk about Penns Is there another better stream? I live 3 minutes from the stream im spoiled.

I wouldn't be scared to take a boat down Penns, especially this time of the year if the water is up. Spring or fall you might get some nasty looks...

Back