Teaching Fly Fishing In Gym Class...Great Idea?

fadeaway263

fadeaway263

In this Tenn school the educators came up with a great way to get kids away from video games and into the outdoors. I for one applaud this type of initiative and if any members are educators maybe your school could pick up on this.

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2011/jun/21/fly-fishing-touted-as-lure-for-lethargic-kids/

fadeaway263 wrote:

if any members are educators maybe your school could pick up on this.

This organization has been active in PA since 1979

www.familytyes.com

I applaud the phys ed teacher:

Attachments

• rainboows.jpg
    rainboows.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 4
We had a flyfishing club at our high school back around 1972.

A friend of mine started and mentors a flyfishing club at a high school in northern PA and he said he knows of other high schools that have similar clubs.

How common those clubs are, though, I don't know.

I actually learned to fly fish in high school from my biology 2 teacher with the trout in the classroom program. It's not what got me into ffing but I'd like to think it at least planted the seed.

It's a great idea.

Unfortunately, this sort of thing is not a priority in education these days.

You just need to get a standardized test to reflect it, then BAM! you can prioritize it to the top.

It would be a great idea, except for the schools around where i live are cutting everything from band to some sports. You really think they are gonna spend the money of ffing stuff to teach kids how to fly fish?

I would do it but it cost a ton of money to get started. I know there are grants, but a set of 6 doesn't really cover my classes of 40.

With Gov. Ebenezer Corbett at the helm, it's not going to happen. The local public school district had to cut 8 of a total of 40 teaching positions to keep the small school afloat financially. Also, the remaining staff accepted a wage freeze. This type of activity occurred throughout the county. The mantra seems to be, "Reduce staff, reduce budgets, but increase standardized test scores with fewer resources." I think the ff club is a nice idea, but in today's educational scene, it's unlikely.

Walleigh_World wrote:
It would be a great idea, except for the schools around where i live are cutting everything from band to some sports. You really think they are gonna spend the money of ffing stuff to teach kids how to fly fish?

True story

rrt wrote:
With Gov. Ebenezer Corbett at the helm, it's not going to happen. The local public school district had to cut 8 of a total of 40 teaching positions to keep the small school afloat financially. Also, the remaining staff accepted a wage freeze. This type of activity occurred throughout the county. The mantra seems to be, "Reduce staff, reduce budgets, but increase standardized test scores with fewer resources." I think the ff club is a nice idea, but in today's educational scene, it's unlikely.

Geez - that kind of sounds like what most businesses have faced the past few years too, eh? How sad that the education world is feeling economic reality too.. Our local newspaper ran a front page story crying the blues of half a dozen school district employees being laid off, and wage freezes seem to garner front page attention too. I looked for an article when we laid people off from our company but I guess I missed it; maybe it was on the same page about wage stagnation in the business world? Having worked in education for eight years, I'd say schools should have some business owners acting as superintendents; cut out some of the bloat, reduce costs, and improve results.. For starters, consolidate the number of school districts in the state and eliminate all those redundant administrative positions.. I'm not education-bashing per-se; just saying that the environment you describe is what the business world has been struggling through the past few years. I think education is seeing a lag effect from the recession's affect.

I use to run a tying club, but it was self-funded and there was a lack of interest.

However, I think if schools went back to having activity periods that students sign up for, a fly fishing club would be a great idea.
On the other hand, you probably couldn't take a fishing field trip because of liability issues.

As a teacher, I initially thought the Corbett cuts were rediculouse, then I thought they were needed (school districts had fat to trim), and now I think that his plans weren't completely thought out. What I mean is that, for example my districk furloughed 80 teachers, it will take years to get them all back through retirements, then what about those currently on sub list, awaiting jobs, and finally what about those in college to become teachers? It will be 15 - 20 years before everything levels back out. That's a hit on the long-term stability of jobs.
Oh and Corbett telling universities they need to lease their land to gas coumpanies is idiotic.

salmonoid wrote:

Geez - that kind of sounds like what most businesses have faced the past few years too, eh? How sad that the education world is feeling economic reality too.. Our local newspaper ran a front page story crying the blues of half a dozen school district employees being laid off, and wage freezes seem to garner front page attention too. I looked for an article when we laid people off from our company but I guess I missed it; maybe it was on the same page about wage stagnation in the business world? Having worked in education for eight years, I'd say schools should have some business owners acting as superintendents; cut out some of the bloat, reduce costs, and improve results.. For starters, consolidate the number of school districts in the state and eliminate all those redundant administrative positions.. I'm not education-bashing per-se; just saying that the environment you describe is what the business world has been struggling through the past few years. I think education is seeing a lag effect from the recession's affect.

Some good points, but I will point out that public schools are not, and should not, be run as financially profitable organizations. Our tax dollars are used to provide a service to community, so I understand that there are obvious fiscal consequences of economic downfall. However, we should not expect a reduction in the quality of these services, despite the economy. I for one, do not want my daughter's education to suffer because she had to come through during economic duress. Yes, there are some places that cuts could be made in public schools, but there are also a heck of a lot of places in public schools that could use more resources. I think we see public education in the news for a few reasons. Number one, everybody has a vested interest as we all pay taxes (ehhhhh.... most of us). Secondly, it sells, because it gives people something to complain about. As for cutting programs like music, art, etc..., IMO this has more to do with the increased focus on standardized testing than it does economy. Many "at risk" schools across the country started cutting these programs soon after NCLB (No Child Left Behind) was passed by George W. Ironically, almost all of the schools that cut these programs ultimately score lower on standardized test scores than before they cut said programs. As for performance, and increasing it, I guess that is a matter of perspective. If you believe that standardized test scores are a good measure or predictor of intelligence or success, then schools are on the right track, I guess. I for one think that schools should focus on preparing kids to make positive contributions to society. Whether that means continuing on to college, becoming a carpenter, becoming a farmer, etc... I just think that every kid is individual and more than a test score. And those who say the U.S. is falling behind in education should be reminded that we are one of the only countries in the world who educates every student. So when we compare test scores to those of students in India and Japan, we are comparing apples to Oranges, that is, their top students to 100% of our students. Those countries don't educate handicapped or special needs students in a public system. I agree that some districts could and should be consolidated. Anyway, I guess it all comes down to perspective, and how much you value education. I think it is worth the investment.

Sorry to rant... :roll:

I think FFing would be awesome for a club in schools, although I'm not sure it qualifies as physical education.

salmonoid wrote:

Excellent points, especially the consolidation (maybe on a county level?). So much redundancy.

Walleigh_World wrote:

Yes, they're cutting extra-curriculuars (which is ridiculous because it saves taxpayers nothing because it typically affects 1% of the total school district budget, but it sounds good to the masses of uninformed taxpayers.) However phys. ed. is part of the required "classroom" learning so yes School Districts are willing to spend money on Flyfishing stuff. However many don't have to, or at least can get equipment at huge discounts. Companies like LL Bean & Orvis DONATE flyfishing equipment. Schools throughout the country are beginning to take advantage of this too. Especially those schools that have already experienced the benefit and overwhelming success that Trout in the Classroom projects have had with their students. TIC has proven to be a winner and Flyfishing classes are antural extension of that. Just like TIC, curriculum has been developed for Flyfishing that incorporates various required educational standards or components.

MKern: if they do archery in many schools, flyfishing in schools isn't any more difficult. Huge expense? I disagree, a start-up flyfishing rod/reel outfit doesn't cost much at all. Every year 2-4 members of our chapter teaches flycasting to 200 children in one day. A few years ago we got 6 starter rod/reel kits to help out. Prior to that we just used our own rods/reels. It can be done and done successfully.

I actually went to Baldwin High School where Family Tyes was headquartered, if you will. I joined it in 9th grade and it is what taught me how to fly fish and the joys of it. Without the club I can't say for sure that I ever would be fly fishing - and now it is the thing I love to do more than anything.

Our gym classes also taught flyfishing (my ten year reunion is coming up so im not sure if they still do), but it was a great activity and most students seemed to like it.

I understand its probably not feasible in these times to do it, but I wholeheartedly agree that we need to introduce kids to the outdoors more often. I worry that kids dont enjoy it enough. to go along with that point, the wife of a friend read the book Last Child in the Woods, and the author Richard Louv, has coined the term "nature deficit disorder." I havent read it yet, but its on my list, and something I am starting to worry about these days.

Or maybe im not......less people on the stream;)

zenheper wrote: "I think FFing would be awesome for a club in schools, although I'm not sure it qualifies as physical education."

It counts for PE because the move in PE is lifelong activities. Fly fishing being one of them. It is designed to get young people involved in somehting they enjoy asnd can do by themselves or with a few other for years well into adulthood. How many high school football players play into their 40's; who here still plays soccer or football. However, there are many people to play pickleball, badminton or the most popular adult sport: volleyball.

Building hobbies and interests at a young age is important because most older people are stuck in their ways. IE think about what you eat; very similar to how you were raised. Creatures of habit.

BTW, wasn't about a month ago when somebody posted caloric burn of fly fishing; like 250/hour.
Thats a ton more than football or baseball.

Ryan R,

So the basic start up kit is $100 (give or take a few bucks). So I have a class or 40, plus 5 spares for when you darling children break them; so 45.

That's $4,500.

What do you think the average budget is for a PE teacher each year? (forget having to order the other stuff that I go through every year)

Some years an entire PE department has $400 to spend; divy that up 3 ways and I can get one rod.
You casn also bet that I'm not bringing my rods in to let 14 year old flair around.

On top of this, kids aren't very coordinated now, and heck they don't remember anything from day to day. It just sounds like a lot of fixing messes and untangling knots for 8 hours a day.

The club idea is really the way to go.

One of my son's teachers had a club at the High School. They met a few times a year and went on an outing in the Spring. The thing is, mostly kids that already flyfished joined. A phys ed elective might introduce new youngsters to the sport that do not have family mentors to get them started.

Back