TU Lifetime Membership and Scott Rods

R

riverwhy

I missed the "deadline" on this. Going through the current main page I could not find a link for this. By doing a search I found page to sign up. So I am assuming it is still current?

Also, what do you think about the rods:

Scott Radian 9 foot 5 wt 4-piece
Scott Meridian 9 foot 8 wt 4-piece
Scott F2 7 foot 3 wt. 3- piece

I am thinking about a trip out West next year. Would the radian be good for that?

I currently have on old Fenwick Iron Feather 8 foot 5 weight that really should become a backup rod for me. I also have a 9 foot 7 weight St. Croix which I am guessing would not be a good all purpose rod to take?

The Meridian is probably the least useful for me unless I decide to start targeting muskies on the Swattie (hardly seems worth it since I have only ever caught one their on spinning gear) I probably will be doing more beach trips in the near future (just became an empty nester as I sent my second one of to Delaware for college). I have never fished salt with the fly rod. But could possibly get dual usage from this rod.

The F2 looks nice as I see myself doing more small stream fishing.

Any help on these would be greatly appreciated.

My main rod on western fishing trips has always been a 9' 5 weight.
Although I fish dry fly only.
But I think it could have served me well if I had wanted to fish sub surface too.

I can't comment on those specific rods, but Scott is a good company so i'm sure they're good enough.

If you already have a 7wt, you definitely want the 5wt. When you go out west the 5wt will be good for dries and nymphs. Bring the 7wt too and use it to throw big streamers.

A 7wt is usable for most saltwater applications too. If you're fishing the summer at the beach a 7wt is probably perfect for the smaller saltwater fish you'll encounter. If you're going to fish for big stripers in the spring or fall you'll probably want a 10wt or more.

I just got back from a trip to West Yellowstone. Spent a few days on the Madiaon, and a few days fishing smaller water in the park. I brought what was my #2 favorite rod- 8'6" 5wt Winston WT, and a 9' 5wt Scott Radian I got this spring in anticipation of this trip.

My beloved Winston never left its rod tube the whole trip. The only time I would've really enjoyed it would've been on some of the smaller tribs we fished, but even there, wind still crept up.

The Radian casts great at all distances, and can throw streamers to midges. Being my first trip out west, my biggest fear was the wind, and the Radian dealt with it perfectly.

Fwiw, the last thing I'd blow that opportunity on is a brook trout rod that's going to get beat on and dropped.

Not sure what you mean by missed the deadline?
Here is a link for the sign up from the current TU website:

https://gifts.tumembership.org/member/life-may2016

Just would hate to see you sign up on the wrong site..

The times I've been west which have been numerous I've never used anything heavier than my 4 wt. That being said the one time I could have used the heavier rod, a 6 wt., was on the Missouri R. I still caught fish, but had trouble reaching the big ones in deep water.
If you are fishing big water the 5 wt 9 ft should be good, but a longer rod would be better.
Unfortunately for me they never offer a rod I don't have so I've never sign up for lifetime member, and at this point probably never will.

Thanks for the great responses. The deadline was from something they sent me in the mail.

Nice to see the offer still valid, because I swear I get an email every other day saying that time is running out for me to take them up on the offer...

Back