TFO

S

Squaretail

I hear tell Cold Spring Anglers is being converted to a Temple Fork Outfitters. Anyone else hear the same?

I'm not sure on the TFO, but now is the time to buy some stuff for cheap in there. They have a sign out front, everything 33% off. I might stop in there today after work and see what they have left and maybe I can find out about the TFO thing too.

Squaretail,

To my knowledge, Temple Fork Outfitters (TFO) is a rod manufacturer and not a fly shop. Do you mean TCO (Tulpehocken Creek Outfitters) based out of Reading. They have opened a bunch of stores in the last few years, and now have 4 in PA. I heard the TCO rumor on another site, but LOL, don't believe anything you read on the Internet. Believe me when I say that......

Its TCO taking over... Soon TCO will be the Cabelas of fly shops there buying everyone out :-o

I have been waiting for people to comment on TCO taking over the states flyfishing business. All you guys who listed TCO as your favorite shops over the box stores, they are going down the same road. Not to mention they bring guys from out of the area to run shops when they open them. Wait until they begin guiding on private land and buying private stretches in Pa, like they own in the Adirondaks. The fellow running the shop in State College has already told people they will eventually be guiding on private land in that area. Of course they will have to compete with everyones favorite private land guy, Mr. Beaver, if they do not go into business with him.

I've considered boycotting them over their affiliation with Beaver before. I believe they have some of their guides work for SRC here and there. I haven't due to the good service I've always gotten. If they do go down that path, I'll stop supporting them.

I haven't been in TCO in State College for the simple reason that they put their store 4 blocks away from FFP. To me that's disrespectful and distasteful. (not to mention they took all the business from the college away from FFP).
I'm not against larger and expanding companies starting business. But I am against large business pushing out mom and pop shops on purpose.
Here on this board, we often talk about the morals of Fly Fishing and how it is a recreation and not competition, but that is the altimate form of competition and domination of the sport.

The flyfishing market is growing smaller. But there are two fly shops in each of these areas:

State College

Spruce Creek

Carlisle / Boiling Springs

White Haven

Ligonier

Pine Creek Valley (2 up Pine Creek, and another in Williamsport.)

That's CRAZY!!! There isn't enough business to support 2 fly shops in any of those areas.

(There used to be about 4 or 5 fly shops on the upper Delaware. I think that number has dwindled, but I haven't been up there for awhile, so I'm not sure of the current number.)

Dear troutbert,

I think it depends on what time of year you head up to the Delaware how many fly shops there are? When I moved from Broome County there were an easy 5 or 6 from Deposit to Roscoe and not a freakin' one of 'em was open past the end of October, or before mid-March.

Consequently I drove from east of Binghamton to the Pocono's, Harrisburg, or State College to buy virtually everything I own. I probably didn't spend $ 25.00 in fly shops up there in 11 years. If you don't want to be open when most people buy materials for tying flies over the Winter then I don't need you.

I'll stick to the 3 shops I've been dealing with for almost 30 years.

Regards,
Tim Murphy :)

To me TCO represents everything that is wrong with are craft. They are right up there with SRC with trying to make fly fishing something that only the wealthy can do ... :-x

I don't go to any of those flyshops anymore! Even though I like to chat with the flyguys there, it is so much easier and "cheaper" to buy the tying materials online. And it's much better to chat with cyber-dudes, just like on this site!!

Same with complete outfits, Cabelas has combo sales that no one can match........ or eBay, or all the tackle sales on all the fly fishing sites.

And gas, $3 a gallon, even if you drive to the flyshops, they won't have what you are looking for anyway. All the flyshop guy can do is try to sell you the old outdated junk he has on his shelves....... and for rod advise, let's face it, he will only promote the stuff he has on his shelf.

When I purchased my last fly rod, I first went to a couple fly shops. They had old stuff at a inflated price, and I couldn't test the rod I wanted to buy. I went to Cabelas, in Hamburg, and the flyshop let me test all the rods I wanted. That's where I got my Sage, I chose it over a Legend Ultra.

And craft shops!!!! I'm starting to think like "Farmer Dave" and don't want to be taken anymore with the high price flyshop junk!

Fred,

Given that they haven't actually been (as far as I know) shown to be buying land to privatize, what is your basis for saying that?

And another reason I'm stayin small and more like the mom & pop shop of yesteryear....and i only carry stuff the big guys dont.....

Jay ....There is nothing low end in there stores everthing I have seen is high end merchandise the cheapest shirt I seen in there was almost 100 bucs . Try to find a vest in there thats under 120 . They're always setting up 5000 dollar per person fishing trips . The only stuff that I saw that was reasonable was the fly tying supplies .And the reels... everyone they had on display is 200 plus.... The lowest end rod they had was a Sage FLI which is almost 300 bucs .And the fact that they are trying to lease private land for guiding and bragging about is good enough for me.... :-(

I hope that they don't try to buy out Sandfly's shop next :-D

Yeah Sandfly.......how does 7 figures sound? That will make you forget about the Mom & Pop BS in a hurry! :-D

In all seriousness. TCO in Reading is the closest fly shop from where I live. I've been going there since I moved into the area 12 years ago. Tony runs a decent, well stocked shop, and the merchandise and prices are similiar to most other stores.

The Main-line shop (formerly Eyers) is a small shop. I've been in the Adirondack shop outside of Lake Placid, it is small, and mostly a guiding operation. I don't stop at the one in State College or on Spruce Creek. FFP is the only FF store I shop when I travel to in Central PA.

I will withhold judgement on TCO - they have always treated me well. If and when I feel that they are perpetuating the closing of access to streams through their business practices, I will reconsider and take my business elsewhere.

I have been going to TCO mailine ever since it turned into TCO. I'm personally with Tom C. on this one. I haven't been fly fishing long but TCO has been good to me. All of the employees in the mainline shop always are helping me save money while helping me buy the appropriate gear that I need. The prices are not as high as people are saying and I have not had any problems with any of the products there.

I've also been to TCO State College and met George Daniels there who helped me out big time. The employees in both shops know what they are talking about. The employees in mainline that I know of have been fishing the area around mainline since they were kids and have some great advice. They get me materials for the flies I need and will tie me a sample if I ask them how to tie a certain pattern.

I'm not trying to say other fly shops don't measure up to TCO I'm just saying there is enough room for everybody. I'm not trying to start an argument, I'm just trying to get my point across.

Its called customer service why wouldn't they be extra nice and help you learn new things so that you spend more money at thier shops .The people at SRC are probally super nice to thier members and teach them things to . :-?

I'm with matt and afish on this one. TCO reading has always been good to me. I'll keep a watchful eye on their practices from here on out, but until then, I'll continue to go. I've heard less than good things about the mainline store from trusted sources. Given that I no longer have any ties to the berks county area (family all moved out from under me when I went to school in philly).... well, I'll probably take my business to the sporting gentleman. Ian and others have raved about them time and again. However, if I'm in the reading area or at the tully, TCO will get my business when appropriate.

If I go to the middle of the state, FFP gets my business.

I side with those who have earned it from myself or others.

I forgot this in my last post.

I'm not against big business, especially in fly fishing. I think that is is wonderful that a large fly only shop can purcase mom and pop shops when they are struggling. I just don't like the mentality of putting someone out of business because you can undercut them.
I like business and competition, becuase the consumer wins. I don't like shadiness, whether it's fly shops, car dealerships, or grocery stores.

It's what Cableas has done to the business. They have pushed everyone to the brink, some have fallen over the brink. I hope it doesn't happen to FFP because I like that shop though I've only been there a few times. With the internet being so easy to buy from, you'll see all the small shops closing. Heck even Slate Run Shop has cut back on the sq. ft. of fly shop space.

Back