Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Switzerland

From Pgh
Awesome! Beautiful. Thanks for the virtual trip to Alpine angling!
I MUST make it there one day.

Posted on: 2013/7/15 9:57

From Clearfield
Good stuff Pat. Looks amazing!

Posted on: 2013/7/15 10:32

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Quote:
Has your guide ever fished over here?

Yes. His wife is from Perkiomenville, I believe. He lived here for a short time, and fished a number of our streams. Also gets back occasionally, generally on holidays in the winter. Though as I understand, not long enough to really explore, and more the famous waters on the beaten path. I offered my services the next time he makes it back.

Posted on: 2013/7/15 10:58

From Ephrata, PA
If you guys do that, I'd love to join you. A trip to Switzerland is seriously in the cards for my family w/in the next few years. My wife has significant family in Germany still, and having lived in Switzerland for a year, she wants to travel down and visit her host family that housed her. Also, being Presbies, the town of Geneva has religious historical significance to us stemming back to the Reformation (named our daughter after that city). I would love to pick his brain about fishing over there!

Posted on: 2013/7/15 11:03

I will let you know. And I do expect if he made it here with time to fish, he'd call me. But I don't expect it to happen in the near future.

He and his wife guide skiing, snowboarding, and they also do weddings and professional photography (mostly for weddings I think), and they also have a house that they rent out for tourists. So they have a number of businesses, all based on tourism in some form, which combined, pay their bills.

The pics of my trip, though, were taken with my little fishing camera. Pascal was the guy behind it for most of the pictures, but didn't have an SLR to work with or anything. As you can imagine taking a really nice camera on a trip like that is asking for trouble.

If you do make it over, though, I'd recommend him as a guide. Fishing doesn't have an "industry" behind it in Switzerland like it does in other places. It's hard for a foreigner to figure out the legalities, as many are strange and complicated. There aren't fly shops or anywhere to rent equipment, etc. There are only a small handful of guides, many of whom specialize in pike and such, and some of which may not speak great English. The Zermatt one looked interesting, in that the scenery looks spectacular, but ultimately it looks like nothing more than a stocked pond in an amazing setting. From what I found there, if you're interested in real fishing, pony up the cash and hire this guy, get in touch and discuss the details of what you are looking for and what may be available.

Switzerland is expensive. Not just guides, but everything. 2-3 times what it is in America. I guess it's the exchange rate. But for a simple sandwich at a restaurant, expect to spend over $20, plus $5+ more for a drink, even water.

Posted on: 2013/7/15 11:13

From Ephrata, PA
I already checked out his website and his rates. Seems a little steep (I've never hired a guide), but I don't know the area at all, as you said-the regs seem NUTS, and it's a once-in-a-lifetime trip. A trip to the Alps will already cost me money, what's $500 more bucks at that point? I'll definitely be using his services if/when I get over there. His mountain treks look amazing.

Posted on: 2013/7/15 11:19

From Philadelphia PA
I GOTSTA KNOW did you PCRAY him....you know like you do us?

Great photo shoots. I went to Arizona not to long ago.... breathtaking scenary.

Posted on: 2013/7/15 13:03
"I am respected when I walk into any fly shop. Salespeople wait on me hand and waders. I once tried underwater casting just to see if I could. I am the most admired Fly Fisherman in the world. And when I fly-fish, I use the Orvis Access. Stay Fishing MF

In that context, I'm not even sure what pcray'ing somebody means! Not quite sure I want to know, though...

Posted on: 2013/7/15 13:04

From Landenberg, PA
squash - check out Germany, its a lot cheaper than Switzerland, which is pretty much the most expensive place in Europe, though i did once pay $18 for a draught Guinness in Paris....

Switzerland is one of those weird places where a glass or coke in bar is more expensive than a 2 litre bottle from a supermarket.

Posted on: 2013/7/15 20:31

Quote:
Switzerland is one of those weird places where a glass or coke in bar is more expensive than a 2 litre bottle from a supermarket.

And that glass will be <10 oz, luke warm, lol.

Posted on: 2013/7/16 9:27

One thing I thought was neat, up near the cliffs, I noticed that every house/hut was located behind a little earth hill. I found out why. Avalanches. The little knolls split an avalanche, protecting the hut behind it.

Out there in July I'd have never even given that a thought.

Posted on: 2013/7/17 14:55

From LV
Looks like fun. I've done a lot of travelling and fishing, but never in Europe, have fun.

Posted on: 2013/7/17 21:02

From Couldn't Care Less
Thanks for sharing ... enjoyed the slide show and it looks beautiful.

Posted on: 2013/7/18 8:39

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com