Survival Kit?

S

schrec

I plan on going on a trip next month into Central PA. Although I will be meeting some friends, they do not like fishing smaller mountain streams. I love it. So, some of my hours will be spent exploring Brookie streams, mostly alone. Now that I'm gettting older -- the big 50 this year -- safety has become more top of the mind for me. I sometimes carry a survival kit of my own creation during day treks... you never know. My kit includes Swiss Army knife, Bic lighter, firestarters (a bit of crumbled up wax firelog) Granola Bars, two leaf bags for an inpromptu shelter, water purifier (chemical) and an airhorn.. all packed in a gallon sized Zip-loc. I figure, if worst comes to worst, my fly line can serve as strong cord to wrap my broken leg in a splint or whatever. Am I forgetting anything?
Thanks for advice.

rising fish always
schrec

Gun? Just kiddin.

More food, if you are concerned with actually gettinng lost (but if you just follow the stream back down...)
T.P.
if it is Pine Creek Valley -- snake bite kit.

Well I wouldn't want to be stranded in Center County with out a credit card. :lol:

Band aids were the most useful things I carried.If you get stuck in downfall they come in handy.Small spray can of insect repellant.

I think by the time everyone gives you their suggestions, you could end up with a 75 pound pack. Still, I think a rain jacket is a good idea. As Fall comes on, the temps will get down to the point where hypothermia is a possibility if you get wet.

That's 75 pounds, if you're lucky!
I always carry a police whistle, when in the woods. Bears hate them, the sound, (of a GOOD police whistle), can carry for about 2 miles. Air horns are "ok", I suppose, but a whistles cheaper, lighter and WON'T run out of "air", when you need it most!
A snake bite kit was also mentioned, an excellent idea of course, but have you thought of also carrying a snake "repellent"?? W.C. Fields, I believe always promoted this idea as a good one.
Of course, he also carried a "small snake" in his other pocket, too, "just to make sure, the repellent was working"!?!
Most "snake repellents" come in either, cork or screw top.

I would supplant a whistle for the horn. I would think that would lighten your load. Used one on the Appalachian Trail where it is an obession to keep your load as light as possible.

no snake bite kit......most people don't know how to use one...My buddy has been bit 5 times, and says to stay calm and slow down the circulation (dont cut it off totally) and walk out calmly...

Dear shrec,

Dude, no alcohol?

You ain't exactly Penn State Proud! :-D

Seriously, what are you worried about? Just tell your friends where you are heading and give them a time to expect you back. If they are good friends they will know when to get concerned and know where to go looking for you.

In all honesty more people die each year in Pennsylvania in low speed Wal-Mart parking lot crashes than die on fishing trips. If your heart decides to vapor lock on you wouldn't you rather just lay down under a tree and quietly pass than fall all over the Charmin pyramid at the local grocery store? :-D

Regards,
Tim Murphy :)

Bring a cell phone with you................................

Oh and keep it off, only turn in on in an emergency. Nothing ruins a great trip into a remote stream faster than a cell phone ringing.

Cloth cravats and/or ace bandages are great for controling bleeding, securing splints and as a sling for an injured arm, we carried them everywhere in the army. The cravats also make great headbands to keep sweat out of your eyes, keep the sun off your head, or as a scarf to keep your neck warm. Safety pins are another good thing to have along to secure a sling or splint or make an impromptu fishing hook. A signal mirror is a good thing to have as well as a small bottle of Iodine or similar asntiseptic. The smallest of cuts or bites can become dangerously infected out in the woods. A small topo map and compass are also good things to have along.

One thing I've always got in my fishingbackpack is a liquid bandage that contains antisceptic. Small and it seals the skin very well. I think a mirror is ideal also. Lots of good suggestions have been given as well as your established list.

Best think is if you're going alone, tell someone where you're going. Even better if you take someone along with you, or at least show them where you'll start out.

You probably have nothing to worry about, and hopefully that's the case. Enjoy the fishing!

Three things I am never without, no matter where I'm at or doing. A good folding knife, a small first aide kit and a small LED flashlight.
A snake bite kit is not worth carrying. Contrary to popular belief, the amount of venom you retract from the bite is so little, it's worthless. A snug but not tight tourniquet between the bite and your heart and keeping the effected body part above the level of your heart will both slow down the transport of the venom in your blood. Most people will not die from a bite from a rattlesnake or copperhead, so unless you have an allergy to similar poisons (bee stings) you should have a couple of hours to receive real medical treatment before you'd get really sick.
On a recent family camping trip, one of my friends told the kids that if they get bitten, to suck the poison out. Yea, move the poison from one effected area of the body to another. Duh.
The first aide kit is invaluable to a pleasant day on the stream. I don't know how many times I've had to patch up a cut or clean out a puncture wound from sticking a hook through one of my fingers.
I carry a small, preassembled kit from band aide, and added 4x4 gauze bandages and a couple of alcohol wipes.

I would bag the survival kit for a day trip and instead go with a Sheetz MTO sub.

if you ask me add a solar blanket , flask of your favorite drink....make it a good one....and take a GPS....won't have to worry about getting lost then...but then somtimes getting lost is half the fun...

While i'm sure someone will correct me, there aren't too many places in PA where you can get lost for too long without running into some kind of road, powerline (posted property) somewhere. If you want to take something important, just have a good supply of water and good first aid kit. You're more likely to get in trouble by slipping and falling than getting lost. If you can't get out, it doesn't matter if you know where you are or not.

Just a comment on a bitten extremity, actually you want to keep it BELOW the level of the heart to SLOW the travel of venom and with BLEEDING, keep ABOVE the level of the heart. Gravity is the key word here. But it IS true, a snake bite kit's only valuable item is the tourniquet, loosely applied, and NEVER "cut an X" at the bite site and "suck out the poison". The loose tourniquet and gravity will slow the venom's travel as will doing your best to remain calm.

I've noticed from one good fall I took this year to carry bandages.

acristickid wrote:
I would bag the survival kit for a day trip and instead go with a Sheetz MTO sub.

Dear acristickid,

Yo bro, I'm with you.

If only Sheetz had freeze dried beer! They have everything else! :-D

Regards,
Tim Murphy :)

At least I will never starve to death on a day trip and the search and rescue dogs love Sheetz MTO's too.

But seriously; a survial kit is an excellent idea and has saved many peoples lives. For me; like many other things in life you should do- I dont because I am lazy or I just never think it will happen.

Back