Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Summer fly fishing western pa

From south west pa
Hello everyone with the weather just getting hotter and hotter I was wondering what some of your goto streams our I love very close to the laurel highlands and even closer to loyalhannah but they just get way to hot this time of year and was wondering what streams in this area stay cool enough I have made a few trips to spring creek in bellefronte pa and had a blast catching wild browns but It is somewhat of a hike 2 and 1/2 hours I was wondering in Anyone else could put on me onto some colder water I also fish the yough below the outflow of the dam but would like to fish something other than that I might not know about

Soon I may try to seek some bass on the fly rod which I had no idea really what to use for them so any pointers for that also would be greatly appreciated thanks fellow fly fisherman!

Posted on: 7/11 16:56

Re: Summer fly fishing western pa

From Pittsburgh
the Yough is still running cold below the dam down through ramcat...

Posted on: 7/11 23:10

From Philadelphia, PA
can't really help with the cold water. Bass maybe. Smallmouth or largemouth?

This time of year. I like top water. Poppers, Sneaky Pete style sliders, gurglers, large Chernobyl Ants.

Subsurface Clousers, Wooly Buggers, Crayfish patterns and bait fish patterns

Posted on: 7/11 23:17

From Pittsburgh
Most of us are pretty reluctant to post small WT streams on here. I'll just say that there are plenty of them in the laurel highlands. And with all of the info available online, they're easy to find
You can pretty much figure that any stream listed as holding WT, is gonna stay decently cold all summer.
Just take a thermometer and explore

Posted on: 7/12 8:10

From south west pa
Thanks for your input guys I think I'm going to search some natives in laurel highlands since the park is only about an hour from me is there a map anywhere? I seen one online but it was for the stocked streams and any suggestions on where to go that would be the most accessible since I would be taking me father who has a harder time hiking in rougher areas.

As for bass pointers what flies work well for smallmouth all the time? As a teenager I fished a creek that always had lots of smallmouth in it along with some large mouth so I think I'll give that a shot but have no idea with flie selection what to use besides wolly buggers and what not

Posted on: 7/12 10:33

From Gettysburg
Quote:

yuenglingismygf wrote:
is there a map anywhere?

As for bass pointers what flies work well for smallmouth all the time?

There really aren't any flies that work all the time, however, I find poppers catch fish well during summer along with big buggy nymphs. There are plenty of threads in the Warm Water and Fly Tying forums regarding bass flies, take some time to check 'em out. Mornings and evenings are the best time to FF for bass in summer.

Regarding maps, check the link in the upper right side of this page, "Where to Fly Fish." To find small streams in that area, get a good topo map or county map with small streams and go explore. Higher elevations and steep terrain (there is a great deal of this in the Laurel Highlands!) are where you're likely to find wild trout. The lower streams that would be more accessible to your father are likely stocked streams for the most part.

Posted on: 7/12 12:03

Google laurel highlands trout trail

Posted on: 7/13 12:20

From south west pa
The Quebec stream is the only native stream their listing on the laurel highland trout trail I fished ever other stream listed on there and they get way to hot this time of year (besides the yough) I can't seem to find a map of anything else that had a list of wild and native streams in that area?

Posted on: 7/14 14:53

Get the Forbes state forest map. Just call them up and they will send you one for free. That shows you the public land and streams in the whole Laurel Ridge Area.

There are a fair number of small forested streams in that region that hold wild trout.

You can fish for them through the summer. Just watch weather and water flows. Fish when the flows are up and the weather is mild, not in the 90s.

Posted on: 7/14 15:11

From Pittsburgh
One of the best wild trout stream maps I've ever used is this site:

maps.psiee.psu.edu

However, about a year ago, the directional arrows disappeared from it. And I can't seem to do focus on an any certain area - other than zooming in on the center of the state

Posted on: 7/14 23:10

Posted on: 7/16 9:31

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes 95% (139)
No 0% (0)
Thinking about it 4% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com