Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

Re: Summer Water Temperature Thread

From LV
So if the LL was 67 at 9am what could it be at 6 pm when it is hottest?
Here's what 2 other LV streams were tonight at 6 pm Saucon at the ball park 68; Bushkill in the middle of the c &r section also 68. The air was 88 when I took those temps.

Posted on: 2012/7/10 19:31

Quote:

Chaz wrote:
So if the LL was 67 at 9am what could it be at 6 pm when it is hottest?

I was wondering the same thing. 67 at 9 am isn't so good. What does it max out at on a hot day?

Posted on: 2012/7/10 22:00

From LV
Low seventies. 72 to 74.They all do in the valley, except the very small spring creeks.

Posted on: 2012/7/10 22:21

From Media Pa
Quote:

afishinado wrote:

If you took a temp at 5pm, it would read >70*, and that was on Sunday on a partly cloudy 90* day.

Saturday the air temp was close to 100*. The water temp would be real hot by late afternoon. A lot of guys fish in the evening after work. Not a good time to fish Valley or any other stream with wild trout in the SE.

The water is very low and heats up quickly. And with any T-storm or downpour, HOT water is injected directly into Valley from the runoff from highways, parking lots and storm drains.

It a miracle the fish are there, you can thank the efforts from Valley Forge TU. Fade and the Prof, better yet, you can send you donation here.

Give the fish a break and wait for the temps to go down.

Please see my thoughts on the other warm water thread that I am not an idiot. Well of course my wife may not agree.

Posted on: 2012/7/11 21:12

From LV
Slate Run 1 pm Saturday, at the mouth, 64.
I've taken temps for many years on trout streams, and what I found was that clear or cloudy didn't seem to make a difference as to how high the stream temps were.
Nighttime temps are a key to how warm the water will get the following day. If nighttime temps are in the 50's and 60's streams just have more cool water to warm up before the high temp is reach between 600 and 700 pm in the evening.
The other key seems to be how hot it gets. Ecept that on a day last summer when the air temp was 103 on the Perky the stream was 82.
But don't think you can fish all day on a stream if you arrive at 9 am and the temp is 67. The trout will not be feeding once the stream warms even a little bit, on a bright sunny day. That's one of the reasons I'd rather fish cloudy days.

Posted on: 2012/7/11 21:17

From Gettysburg
Big Hunting Creek in the park:
Today (Thur, 12th) at 11am: air temp was 83 and water temp was 65.

Posted on: 2012/7/12 12:09

From Media Pa
Quote:

JasonS wrote:
Quote:

afishinado wrote:
Quote:

fadeaway263 wrote:
Chesco 07.08.12

Valley 64.5 Deg at 9AM and 68 deg at noon

West Valley 78 Deg at 1:30PM

If you took a temp at 5pm, it would read >70*, and that was on Sunday on a partly cloudy 90* day.

Saturday the air temp was close to 100*. The water temp would be real hot by late afternoon. A lot of guys fish in the evening after work. Not a good time to fish Valley or any other stream with wild trout in the SE.

The water is very low and heats up quickly. And with any T-storm or downpour, HOT water is injected directly into Valley from the runoff from highways, parking lots and storm drains.

It a miracle the fish are there, you can thank the efforts from Valley Forge TU. Fade and the Prof, better yet, you can send you donation here.

Great post and 100% accurate. But that won't stop the idiots from fishing it. The only solace is that they're horrible at fishing.

Afish please remind this poster that ad hominen attacks are not permitted on Paflyfish. oh wait..since he probably doesn't understand Latin tell him that personal attacks will not be condoned...oops since he will probably have to look up condone in the dictionary just tell him this type of personal attack is not allowed/permitted/acceptable/permissible...I sure he will know the meaning of one of these words.

Posted on: 2012/7/12 17:38

From Lehigh Valley
Water temp at the 01451500 gauging station on the Little Lehigh was 63.7 at 9:30 this morning.

It felt much colder when the water went over the top of my boots.

Posted on: 2012/7/12 20:29

From SW PA
Ed, You know, I've notice the same thing. Whenever I check the water temperature with the leaky seam in the crotch of my waders, I question the acccuracy of my stream thermometer!

Posted on: 2012/7/13 5:00

From King Of Prussia, Pa
Quote:

fadeaway263 wrote:
Quote:

JasonS wrote:
Quote:

afishinado wrote:
Quote:

fadeaway263 wrote:
Chesco 07.08.12

Valley 64.5 Deg at 9AM and 68 deg at noon

West Valley 78 Deg at 1:30PM

Great post and 100% accurate. But that won't stop the idiots from fishing it. The only solace is that they're horrible at fishing.

Afish please remind this poster that ad hominen attacks are not permitted on Paflyfish. oh wait..since he probably doesn't understand Latin tell him that personal attacks will not be condoned...oops since he will probably have to look up condone in the dictionary just tell him this type of personal attack is not allowed/permitted/acceptable/permissible...I sure he will know the meaning of one of these words.

Great respone. Keep fishing over those stressed fish. I guess if they don't die right in front of you then they never die. Here's a term for you to look up, lactic acid build up. But you probably know all about that being the ethical fisherman who doesn't fish once the water temps hit 70. What a joke.

Posted on: 2012/7/13 12:07

From Philadelphia
Guys, let's calm down and take a breath. FF is something we all love and it's the one thing we all share in common. Yes, we absoultely have to be aware of water temps and not fish for trout when they are too high but insults in both directions are getting us nowhere. We all have to judge for ourselves whether we should fish or not during heat like. I think the best thing that can be said here, is use a thermometer and common sense. Tight lines all!

Posted on: 2012/7/13 12:27

Edited by Foxgap239 on 2012/7/13 12:47:13

From SEPA
Some people are clearly unable to judge for themselves as they have no common sense.

Posted on: 2012/7/13 16:57

From Monessen, PA
Didn't read along here, only the last few and would say that no one has the right to judge another angler fishing within the regulations. It really irks me when people feel the need to make themselves appear to be the greatest lover of trout that ever lived.

Go have some fun! Kill a couple fish, if you'd like. Keep them if you can, or not-- your choice. They're fish folks!

Think I'll take another swig.

Posted on: 2012/7/13 18:09

Amen Jack -

Posted on: 2012/7/13 18:31

From Chadds Ford, PA
"They're fish folks!" says Jack. Greatest quote since Rodney King!!!!! And remember, I don't take them out of the water unlike our trout lover Jason who posted a nice picture of his beloved trout placed neatly on a bunch of rocks next to his rod and reel. Sure that was good for the fish!!!!! How long was that thing out of the water, Jason?

Posted on: 2012/7/13 19:25

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com