Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Summer Mountain Brookie Fishing

From Ferguson Twp.
Sounds like a good day even with the bees. By the looks of that stream you guys must have really had to put the sneak on.

Posted on: 2013/8/16 7:49

From Harrisburg
Fishing for native brookies in the trickles always seemed like it stood alone to me. Almost like it is its own form of fishing.
When I go to where you went its like I have a choice. Flyfishing for trout or native brookie fishing.
Prettiest things that swim to me.

Posted on: 2013/8/16 9:21

From Philadelphia
The other thing I find very interesting about brookies is that on certain streams, they will hit the fly multiple times even if you sting them. I have had brookies on small streams get hooked (not stung) as many as 7 times before I was finally able to land them. I even had one brookie take my fly 5 times and on the 6th, he broke the fly off. I attached another fly and had that same broookie come up for it. I was hoping to land him so I could get my other fly back but he never came up for the second fly again. LOL

I've never had browns do that. My theory is that brookies on well fished streams will only give you 1 shot but brookies on very low pressure streams will hit it multiple times. Anyone have similar experiences? Anyone ever have browns hit multiple times?

Posted on: 2013/8/16 11:35

From Clearfield
Quote:

Foxgap239 wrote:
Anyone have similar experiences? Anyone ever have browns hit multiple times?

My experience with brookies pretty much mirrors your. Browns on the other hand, are a bit smarter, and rarely do I get a second chance. It does happen though and usually on less fertile streams.

Posted on: 2013/8/16 11:47

From South Lebanon Township, PA
Agree with csoult. It's much more common for Brookies to rise multiple times to the same fly. Although once I sting a Brookie, I very rarely get a second shot at it…the times I do they are usually very small fish.

Browns…you usually get one shot…if you're lucky, or good I guess. Unless a major hatch is coming off...then the same fish will rise to the same fly multiple times pretty regularly. I do remember one instance on Little Kettle Creek where I had the same Brown rise to the same attractor dry 3 or 4 casts in a row before I caught it. He even jumped out of the water for it once on a false cast where it never even hit the water. That was a respectable 8 or 9" fish too and there was no hatch at the time. It sticks out in my mind because I thought that fish was a Brookie until I got it to my hand based on its behavior.

Posted on: 2013/8/16 12:07

I usually dont fish for browns so I really notice the difference when I do run into them. I almost always use dry flies and avoid slack in the line when there are browns in a stream... fewer second chances, no fifth chances :)

Fishing for spooky wild browns with barbless dry flies can be a fun challenge. You often need to make very long cast to avoid spooking them.. and at that distance they are hard to hook then difficult to bring without losing them.

Posted on: 2013/8/16 19:44

From Camp Hill
Didn't want to start a new topic & thought this fit here. I thought the color in this fish made it worth sharing. I can see how this can be addicting.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2013/8/27 12:14

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Bees. Well, on my outing this weekend, on one of many occasions I looked back to find that I had hooked a head high tree. Sucks when your backcast doesn't come back!

Anyway, on closer inspection, I hooked the twig that hung a small football sized hornet's nest! Luckily, nobody was home in the nest. Else my vow to never lose a fly to a tree would have been in danger!

Bob is hardcore, though. He's got the snakeproof shinguards, knee pads, GPS beacon. I'm not sure about Darth Vader just yet, but certainly approaching storm trooper status.

Posted on: 2013/8/27 12:27

From Philadelphia
Quote:

hbgbswanson wrote:
Didn't want to start a new topic & thought this fit here. I thought the color in this fish made it worth sharing. I can see how this can be addicting.

Besides the fact that they are aggressive as all get out, the colors, especially in the fall, is my favorite thing about brookie fishing!

Posted on: 2013/8/27 13:54

I doubt ou guys are having the same fish hit your flies several times after being stung, it's much more likely different fish hitting the fly, especially during low water during the summer monthes when they stack up in pools.

Posted on: 2013/8/27 18:06

From Philadelphia
Quote:

Stone_Fly wrote:
I doubt ou guys are having the same fish hit your flies several times after being stung, it's much more likely different fish hitting the fly, especially during low water during the summer monthes when they stack up in pools.

I hate to say this but you are really wrong on this one. I have watched close up the same fish hit my fly several times. Some take it a second or third time after getting hooked and not just stung. I know several good brookie fisherman that will back me up on this too.

Posted on: 2013/8/27 22:34

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

Foxgap239 wrote:
I have watched close up the same fish hit my fly several times. Some take it a second or third time after getting hooked and not just stung.

Yup - I've seen this numerous times. Gin clear water and polarized glasses leave no doubt in my mind.

Fox's reaction when this happens is priceless.

Posted on: 2013/8/28 8:18

From Philadelphia
Quote:

Heritage-Angler wrote:
Fox's reaction when this happens is priceless.

Yeah, brookies have a way of bringing out the "giddy school girl" in me! LMAO

Posted on: 2013/8/28 9:08

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Yeah, same for me. I can be on my 50th fish of the day, a "massive" 5 incher. And when he takes that fly, my response is to laugh, just like I did for the 49 before it.

Posted on: 2013/8/28 12:30

From Sugarloaf pa
Ninety percent of all my fishing is for native mountain brookies and I have many times had the same fish hit my fly more than once until I was able to hook it. All I know is that my favorite time of the year is almost upon us.Fall fishin for brookies , there aint much better.

Posted on: 2013/8/30 8:28

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com