Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Re: Summer Heat & Water Temperatures

Several times I've taken water temps and fishing buddies have taken temps at the same time, both with fly shop thermometers. Sometimes the results matched up, other times they varied by 1 or 2 degrees.

Posted on: 2013/6/26 16:30

From LV
Quote:

DanVerona wrote:
Sorry for the newbie question but how long do you need to hold one of the thermometers in the water? Should I leave for 30 seconds? A minute?

I bought one similar to the Orvis one posted, but off-brand..

Thanks!Quote:

wgmiller wrote:
$11.95 and one of the most functional tools I own... A stream thermometer is cheap and a good way to make sure you're fishing water that isn't too warm!

http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=1104

I leave mine in a stream long enough to get what I feel is an accurate reading, probably a minute, then give it a shake and leave it in the water probably another 30 seconds.

Posted on: 2013/6/26 17:31

Fished a tiny clear NEPA brookie stream, good temps, about 60 late pm today. But another one with swampy headwaters was 68.

I use a wm Joseph infrared thermometer. Expensive but fast and less likely to lose it, since you never put it down.

Posted on: 2013/6/26 21:24

Edited by k-bob on 2013/6/26 21:46:39

From Armstrong County
Quote:

The_Sasquatch wrote:
I just have a glass one. Comes in a little crafty black tube. I think it cost me $6.00.

If I buy a fancy shmancy $12 one, I'll lose it.

I purchased one of these from Cabela's and it doesn't seem to take very accurate readings, in fact I'd go so far as to call it horrible.

It's probably a good idea to test any thermometer you buy with the ice water method before trusting it to take accurate temperature readings, especially the cheap ones.

Posted on: 2013/7/1 11:50

From SE PA
Quote:

k-bob wrote:
Fished a tiny clear NEPA brookie stream, good temps, about 60 late pm today. But another one with swampy headwaters was 68.

I use a wm Joseph infrared thermometer. Expensive but fast and less likely to lose it, since you never put it down.

I have the same infrared one and a submersible digital thermometer. I found that many times the infrared one is measuring surface temps that can be considerably warmer than sub-surface water. As you would expect the fast water gets mixed and the surface temps are more consistent with the overall water temp and on pools the surface and sub-surface can vary by a good bit.

Posted on: 2013/7/1 12:16

From Philadelphia PA
I'm probably missing some fishing with my attitude that when the water and air are to hot to wear waders it's to hot to fish for trout.

Posted on: 2013/7/1 12:45
"I am respected when I walk into any fly shop. Salespeople wait on me hand and waders. I once tried underwater casting just to see if I could. I am the most admired Fly Fisherman in the world. And when I fly-fish, I use the Orvis Access. Stay Fishing MF

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
It's merely the season to focus on smaller, colder streams. June and July are the best fishing months of the year, IMO. The way things are shaping up this year could be just as good in August as well.

I do the big stream hatch chasing thing like everyone else, and enjoy it. But I enjoy a day on those little streams more than anything, and tis the season. Hence why IMO, June/July > April/May. Because the fishing on those streams is better.

And the air temperature isn't so bad when you're standing in 55 degree water.

Posted on: 2013/7/1 13:51

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Quote:
Unless all the water freezes, it should not read 32 degrees. Maybe 33-36.

Someone needs an update on chemistry/physics!!!!

If ice is stable in the water, it's at 32.

Posted on: 2013/7/1 13:57

Franklin, good point that the infrared thermometer is taking a surface water temperature and it would sometimes be colder below the surface ....

Posted on: 2013/7/1 15:02

From Philadelphia
I will say this about that. I got a reading with my IR on Sat (while fishing for foreign trout) that seemed too high for me so I took my regular thermometer and held it underwater and got a reading 1 degree different than the IR. Not a scientific survey by any stretch but my two cents.

Posted on: 2013/7/1 15:06

From NE OH
Quote:

pcray1231 wrote:
Quote:
Unless all the water freezes, it should not read 32 degrees. Maybe 33-36.

Someone needs an update on chemistry/physics!!!!

If ice is stable in the water, it's at 32.

And under certain conditions might actually be colder than 32F Add a little acetone and it can be dang cold and still be liquid. Ok, don't do that, but you get the point.

Posted on: 2013/7/1 17:11

From NE OH
Quote:

PennypackFlyer wrote:
I'm probably missing some fishing with my attitude that when the water and air are to hot to wear waders it's to hot to fish for trout.

It's just the conservative end of the spectrum of attitude on the topic and you certainly won't harm any fish that way. Our lone awesome trout stream in OH stays below 60F (in the upper 3rd of the river) all the way through Summer. Nothing better than wet wading that stream on a 90F day in July. Now, the fishing sucks during the day on those days, but man does it feel good. I waste my time fishing hoppers for dinks on those days during the day. The monster come out at dark As Pcray said, you PA boys have some nice cold small streams that fish pretty well in Summer. So jealous of that!!!

Posted on: 2013/7/1 17:17

From State College PA
http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/foo ... N73mO6dj7gCFQug4AodcxQAMQ

Just have to calibrate once a year. I have access to highly accurate tempearture baths in the lab. I calibrate with that.
you can get similar items at walmart or home stores

Attach file:

jpg  CDD_IRT220.jpg (8.67 KB)
4142_51d1f4cbd24f8.jpg 275X275 px

Posted on: 2013/7/1 17:29

From Mont Co, Pa
I use one of those fishpond thermos, they're a bit pricey, but are accurate. It seems to me that if a thermo gives you an accurate air temp, wouldn't it have to give an accurate water temp? Pat?

Posted on: 2013/7/1 17:57

From South Central PA
I would feel lost without a thermometer much of the time, and not just as a matter of avoiding heat stressed fish.

Water temps going up or down in trend; temps of at least 50F for certain hatches during Spring, or for a certain consecutive number of days; different parts of the same stream with surprisingly large differences in temperatures, etc.

Hook and Hackle sold a look-alike to this one shown in Lefty Kreh's book for $2.50 so I bought a half dozen or so. But it no longer seems to be made so maybe it was Mercury based. Anyway, very light and compact if you can find it and reads very fast.

Lefty Kreh Thermometer, page 51 of 101 Fly Fishing Tips

Posted on: 2013/7/1 18:28

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes 95% (139)
No 0% (0)
Thinking about it 4% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com