Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Re: Summer Heat & Water Temperatures

Quote:

Mike wrote:
If you are from the SE and looking for colder water temps or venturing to Cabela's and looking for the same after your shopping trip, the Schuylkill River in the fingerling stocked section stays cool to cold from Schuylkill Haven upstream to Middleport. It is an opportunity to fish a recovering fishery that is stocked with fingerling trout and has a few wild brooks, browns, and rainbows as well. Parts of the river are orange with yellowboy and the abundance of trout varies from location to location, but the fish are there, and some large ones at that.

Been wanting to try that.....and now I must!

Posted on: 2013/6/24 12:48

along with temps, water speed and churn seems to matter in Dissolved Oxygen levels:

"In fast-moving streams, rushing water is aerated by bubbles as it churns over rocks and falls down hundreds of tiny waterfalls. These streams, if unpolluted, are usually saturated with oxygen. In slow, stagnant waters, oxygen only enters the top layer of water, and deeper water is often low in DO concentration due to decomposition of organic matter by bacteria that live on or near the bottom of the reservoir."

http://bcn.boulder.co.us/basin/data/NEW/info/DO.html

Posted on: 2013/6/24 12:56

From Monessen, PA
Good point. DO occurs by interaction with air or as a by-product of photosynthesis as mentioned earlier. Nonetheless, high temps are independently unhealthy for trout. Use the thermometer as a guage or guage the health of the trout by their behavior, before or after hooking them.

Posted on: 2013/6/24 13:03

Edited by JackM on 2013/6/24 13:33:00
Edited by JackM on 2013/6/24 13:35:24

Quote:

pwk5017 wrote:

if you look at the gauge, it would have said like 72-76 degrees, surely trout must have been dying left and right

I haven't seen trout floating up at water temps of 72-76.

When I've seen them start floating up is when the water temps hits about 80-83 degrees.

Posted on: 2013/6/24 14:29

From LV
Quote:

pwk5017 wrote:
I dont want to undermine the "respect the temps!" theme, but its really more about DO than temps. I was fishing the yough down near connellsville this weekend--bass fishing i might add, so dont jump on my back about temps! Anyways, if you look at the gauge, it would have said like 72-76 degrees, surely trout must have been dying left and right, BUT look at the DO chart. Levels have been getting into the high 7.0s in the MORNING. Trout really need 7.0 and above to comfortably survive(ive read that 6.0 is when death occurs). That part of the river becomes inhospitable for trout later on, but the point is, the stocked trout in that area would have been in warm water, but healthy living conditions. Also, just because temps are lowest in the morning, doesnt mean the DO is highest in the morning. Complete opposite actually. Algae produce o2 throughout the day and use it at night. Just before dawn, the DO levels will be lowest. Just some food for thought on the topic.

Trout don't die right and left at temperatures higher then 70, they just stop feeding and start losing weight. it take temps of 79 and 80 degrees to kill trout outright. But that doesn't mean you can still fish for them, however in stocked streams if you want a last chance to harvest a few leftovers, have at it.

Posted on: 2013/6/24 15:00

From chester ct
Having gone through many thermometers in my ffishing career, I've settled on a cheapo dial thermometer from the discount hardware folk - less than $5. Durable too - won't spontaneously fracture from being left in a hot car (gets over 180ºF in the summer sun). They look like meat cooking types - pointy end and all. I did need to calibrate it - mine runs about 3ºF high.

Posted on: 2013/6/26 11:57

From Monessen, PA
Just to be germane and repeat from prior discussions, the upper lethal temperatures for trout are between 77-79 degrees depending upon species, but this is a sustained temperature for 48 hours, I believe. Peaks in this range are not lethal, but they will weaken trout, particularly those already compromised for whatever reason, including recent struggles with an angler.

Most anglers who express themselves consider 68-70 or higher as dangerous temps to fish at. Science supports thermal stress at these levels, but it is obviously minimal near 70, and more significant at 74, for instance. This said, when fishing in the 70+ area, you are stressing fish that are probably under some minimal stres, and therefore increasing the likelihood of harm.

A little common sense, common logic, careful observation, and patience goes a long way in the equation of what is ethical.

Minimize harm and have fun. Sometimes, you can't really do both at the same time.

Posted on: 2013/6/26 12:06

Quote:

lestrout wrote:
Having gone through many thermometers in my ffishing career, I've settled on a cheapo dial thermometer from the discount hardware folk - less than $5. Durable too - won't spontaneously fracture from being left in a hot car (gets over 180ºF in the summer sun). They look like meat cooking types - pointy end and all. I did need to calibrate it - mine runs about 3ºF high.

How did you calibrate it?

And does anyone have a recommendation for a digital thermometer?

Posted on: 2013/6/26 12:11

From SW PA (Pittsburgh Area)
Sorry for the newbie question but how long do you need to hold one of the thermometers in the water? Should I leave for 30 seconds? A minute?

I bought one similar to the Orvis one posted, but off-brand..

Thanks!Quote:

wgmiller wrote:
$11.95 and one of the most functional tools I own... A stream thermometer is cheap and a good way to make sure you're fishing water that isn't too warm!

http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=1104

Posted on: 2013/6/26 12:49

From Monessen, PA
Digitals tell you with beep once the level stabilizes. With a mercury type, I plunge it for 30 secs. to 1 minute, look at reading re-plunge another 15 secs, and if no notable change, I am satisfied. If there appears to be a change, I reseubmerge for 30 secs or so and re-assess.

Posted on: 2013/6/26 12:54

From down the block from the Letort.
Quote:
How did you calibrate it?

Pour yourself a nice glass of ice water, plenty of ice. Let it sit for a little bit, then check it with your thermometer, it should read 32deg.

Posted on: 2013/6/26 13:04

From Monessen, PA
Unless all the water freezes, it should not read 32 degrees. Maybe 33-36. Bureau of weights and measures or two or three other thermometers should get you close enough.

If there is anyone here who has an absolute temp at which they will not fish, please step forward. When I say absolute, I mean, even if you travel all day for a 5 day trip. Otherwise, consider fishing early in the AM, or very late at night, or cancel the trip altogether.

Posted on: 2013/6/26 13:18

From NE OH
Quote:

JackM wrote:
Just to be germane...

How come no one ever wants to be Tito?

Posted on: 2013/6/26 13:30

From down the block from the Letort.
Quote:
Unless all the water freezes, it should not read 32 degrees. Maybe 33-36.

Or maybe it should....

Here's an official procedure, in case a trout stream thermo really needs to be that accurate...

Quote:
Calibration in Ice Water

1.Add crushed ice and distilled water to a clean container to form a watery slush.

2.Place thermometer probe into slush for at least one minute taking care to not let the probe contact the container.

3.If the thermometer does not read between 30° and 34° F adjust to 32° F. Non-adjustable thermometers should be removed from use until they have been professionally serviced.

Posted on: 2013/6/26 15:51

I did the ice water calibration on my fly shop thermometer and it was dead on at 32F.

If you put ice in a glass and add tap water, it takes a while for the temperature of the tap water to get down there. So be patient and let it set for awhile.

Posted on: 2013/6/26 16:30

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com