Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Re: Summer Heat & Water Temperatures

The weather got pretty hot over the weekend, so water temps were on the rise.

Pine Creek at Black Walnut Bottom (below Slate Run) on Sat at 4 pm was 79F.

Cedar Run in it's middle stretch on Sunday afternoon was 66-68F, so it probably hit 70F in the lower stretch.

Some of the small, heavily shaded brookie streams were still fine, 56F-60F.

Posted on: 2013/6/24 9:54

From Mount Joy, PA
$11.95 and one of the most functional tools I own... A stream thermometer is cheap and a good way to make sure you're fishing water that isn't too warm!

http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=1104

Posted on: 2013/6/24 10:37

From Mount Joy, PA
Quote:

PatrickC wrote:
I would guess we unwittingly have killed more fish in our lifetimes than we would ever want to acknowledge.

Couldn't agree more. We try to do right by fishing barbless hooks, practicing sound C & R techniques and doing what we feel is best for survival of the fish. But in the end, we don't know what the ultimate disposition is for the fish once we release it.

Regardless, when compared to harvesting, our "kill rate" is obviously much lower!

Posted on: 2013/6/24 10:42

I dont want to undermine the "respect the temps!" theme, but its really more about DO than temps. I was fishing the yough down near connellsville this weekend--bass fishing i might add, so dont jump on my back about temps! Anyways, if you look at the gauge, it would have said like 72-76 degrees, surely trout must have been dying left and right, BUT look at the DO chart. Levels have been getting into the high 7.0s in the MORNING. Trout really need 7.0 and above to comfortably survive(ive read that 6.0 is when death occurs). That part of the river becomes inhospitable for trout later on, but the point is, the stocked trout in that area would have been in warm water, but healthy living conditions. Also, just because temps are lowest in the morning, doesnt mean the DO is highest in the morning. Complete opposite actually. Algae produce o2 throughout the day and use it at night. Just before dawn, the DO levels will be lowest. Just some food for thought on the topic.

Posted on: 2013/6/24 11:00

From NE OH
Quote:

wgmiller wrote:
$11.95 and one of the most functional tools I own... A stream thermometer is cheap and a good way to make sure you're fishing water that isn't too warm!

For some reason...it seems to be the most easily lost thing I purchase.

Posted on: 2013/6/24 11:10

From Ephrata, PA
It's a miracle of miracles that I've only had to buy one of those once. I cant' believe I haven't lost mine yet.

Posted on: 2013/6/24 11:11

From NE OH
I kept breaking the glass thermometers. So I got the digital thermometer...no idea where it disappeared too. On the upside, over the years of measuring water temps, I became good at predicting and it was always pretty accurate. Anyway...gotta go order a new thermometer now

Posted on: 2013/6/24 11:16

From Ephrata, PA
I just have a glass one. Comes in a little crafty black tube. I think it cost me $6.00.

If I buy a fancy shmancy $12 one, I'll lose it.

Posted on: 2013/6/24 11:18

From NE OH
Exactly

Posted on: 2013/6/24 11:20

From Chester County
I keep mine attached to a lanyard on my pack. The lanyard is long enough for the thermometer to hang into the water. Handy, and I've had mine for a long time.

Posted on: 2013/6/24 11:22

From NE OH
Now, I have never lost a cigar on the stream.....

Posted on: 2013/6/24 11:35

From Monessen, PA
Quote:

pwk5017 wrote:
I dont want to undermine the "respect the temps!" theme, but its really more about DO than temps. ...Just some food for thought on the topic.

I think both play a role. While higher temps result in lower DO, even in the high 70s (temp), DO is usually sufficient to sustain trout. But high sustained temps have a negative effect on the trout independent of DO.

Posted on: 2013/6/24 11:45

-- Leo Tolstoy

From Chester County
Good post, Jack.

(Seems to me, the less Jack fishes the more he knows...lol)

The following quote is the bottom line on a study (link below) about rainbow trout and their reaction and survivability to both low DO and high temps:

"...However, our study indicated that, when faced with the choice between high temperature and low DO, trout were distributed closest to the water with the lowest temperature..."

Link to source: http://gis.fs.fed.us/psw/publications ... /psw_1997_matthews003.pdf

Posted on: 2013/6/24 11:56

From York, PA
I didn't click the link...but can trout sense DO like they can sense temp? I guess stress occurs at lower DO, but something tells me the conscious choice is not so black and white.

Posted on: 2013/6/24 12:18

If you are from the SE and looking for colder water temps or venturing to Cabela's and looking for the same after your shopping trip, the Schuylkill River in the fingerling stocked section stays cool to cold from Schuylkill Haven upstream to Middleport. It is an opportunity to fish a recovering fishery that is stocked with fingerling trout and has a few wild brooks, browns, and rainbows as well. Parts of the river are orange with yellowboy and the abundance of trout varies from location to location, but the fish are there, and some large ones at that.

Posted on: 2013/6/24 12:36

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes 95% (139)
No 0% (0)
Thinking about it 4% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com