Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Sulphurs

I fished over a good sulphur hatch on a famous (and extremely crowded) Central PA wild trout stream on Saturday (4/27). Fish were on the duns. They started hatching on this stream a good five days prior to that. It seems like they start earlier every year going back the past few years. It used to be that you could fish sulphurs on this stream into Mid June. The past few years the sulphurs have fizzled out by June 1.

While we've had good weather recently, this Spring hasn't been characterized by abnormally warm weather like last Spring. I'm wondering, if at a minimum, the sulphur hatch has permanently shifted up a couple weeks on this stream, and I wonder if people have broader observations about the timing of the sulphurs in Pennsylvania that correlate with these observations?

Posted on: 2013/4/29 22:37

Re: Sulphurs

From Elizabethtown
Even though I ran into sulphers that were at least 3 weeks early last year I've got to say that I'm a little skeptical about your report of seeing them already this year.

Posted on: 2013/4/30 1:48

From State College
Especially since its not nearly as warm as last year and the grannoms hatching when they did. Hmm.

Posted on: 2013/4/30 3:23

From SW PA
I did see some craneflies Sunday on another well known, but not really very crowded stream. Also heard reports about Sulphers on a nearby stream. But you know, its water temp that triggers the hatch. So a smaller, warmer stream could have then sooner, no?

Posted on: 2013/4/30 5:54

From York, PA
I've not yet run into them...but looking forward to them!

Posted on: 2013/4/30 6:22

From Dauphin PA
That just seems too early for sulphurs but I guess anything is possible. I'd have to see them with my own eyes to believe that sulphurs hatch in April.

Posted on: 2013/4/30 7:18

From Whitehall, PA
The timing of any particular mayfly hatch isn’t driven by recent air or water temperatures. Mayfly nymphs are born from eggs laid when spinning mayflies mate. Those mayfly nymphs are very small and grow gradually over the next twelve months. As the nymphs grow they go through a predetermined series of molts, referred to as instars. The rate at which the mayfly nymph grows and experiences these instars is controlled to a degree by water temperature – not today’s or yesterday’s or tomorrow’s water temperature - but the water temperature range over the twelve month period. In winter the instars practically stop, then accelerate again as water temperatures gradually warm from winter into spring. A sudden warming of air or water doesn’t cause the instars to advance rapidly. That’s why the nymphs born very early last year didn’t emerge exactly twelve months after the eggs hatched.
There will always be subtle (and last year not so subtle) differences in the timing of mayfly emergences, caused by the fact water temperatures vary somewhat from year to year.

Jeff

Posted on: 2013/4/30 7:40

So you are saying you saw sulfurs on spring creek and that they have been on for a week already?

Posted on: 2013/4/30 8:15

From down the block from the Letort.
Sounds like that's what he's saying....and the stream report on the Feathered Hook web page backs him up. Guess I oughta hurry up and restock the fly box with sulphurs. I did see one, just one solo, lonely sulphur, on the Letort a few weeks ago when we had that really warm almost 90 degree day. He/she managed to drift the entire length of the meadow unharrassed...

Posted on: 2013/4/30 8:37

That's what I'm saying. I've been fly fishing for 20 years and know the difference between a cranefly and a sulphur. Fish were on a #14 sulphur dun that began coming off around dinner time. As I said they had been trickling off for days but this was the first time I saw fish keying in on them.

Posted on: 2013/4/30 8:42

From Clearfield
Quote:

timmyt wrote:
So you are saying you saw sulfurs on spring creek and that they have been on for a week already?

That's what I took from it.

Posted on: 2013/4/30 8:42

From chester ct
A lot of people assume that sulfurs refer to the #16-17-18 Dorothea, which is usually a May-June thang, depending on temps, latitude and altitude. But some of my buds use the same term for the formerly-known-as-Ephemerella Invaria, aka Light Hendrickson. These guys do come out in April, according to temps, etc.

hp
les

Posted on: 2013/4/30 9:13

That's what I'm saying. I've been fly fishing for 20 years and know the difference between a cranefly and a sulphur. Fish were on a #14 sulphur dun that began coming off around dinner time. As I said they had been trickling off for days but this was the first time I saw fish keying in on them.

Posted on: 2013/4/30 9:36

Is anyone seeing sulphurs in the southern half of PA?

Hatches generally start earlier there, because it's further south and lower elevation, therefore warmer.

Posted on: 2013/4/30 9:49

From Central Maryland
I fished Mossy Creek in Virginia yesterday, and while it was a little muddy, the sulphurs were just starting to come off. Fish were largely uninterested, but I think I blame the conditions on that. They should be working their way up to you guys pretty soon.

Posted on: 2013/4/30 10:03

(1) 2 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com