Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Sulphurs

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
It doesn't surprise me. The invaria hatch was very clearly on in MID-April last year, dorothea's had started by the end of April! With last year's hatch being so early, that means eggs were laid early, nymphs hatched early, started growing early, etc.

Assuming typical weather like we had this year, the hatch should slowly work it's way back to a more normal time. But it might take a few years.

Les, yes invaria's come first (size 14ish, yellowish-orange duns, darker spinners), and dorothea's second (16-18, whitish yellow duns, spinners yellowish orange). I've never heard an invaria called anything except a sulpher. They are THE sulpher. Dorothea's are also typically called sulphers, but PED is common in some places.

Posted on: 2013/4/30 10:15

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
All this means to me is to bring Sulphurs to the JAM! Tied a few more last night.

Posted on: 2013/4/30 10:57

From Whitehall, PA
"That's what I'm saying. I've been fly fishing for 20 years and know the difference between a cranefly and a sulphur. Fish were on a #14 sulphur dun that began coming off around dinner time. As I said they had been trickling off for days but this was the first time I saw fish keying in on them."

It's also possible you saw Epeorus Vitreus, cousin to the Quill Gordon. They hatch earlier in May than the Dorothea, usually around dinnertime on Penns Creek. Not sure if they're on Srping Creek. Capture one and see if it has two tails.

Jeff

Posted on: 2013/4/30 12:12

From Monessen, PA
Is that the Ginger Quill you speak of?

Posted on: 2013/4/30 12:32

From Perkasie PA
I fished over a sulphur hatch on Thursday evening. They were on sulphur duns. I caught a few bugs and they sure looked like 14-16 sulphurs to me. Definitely not craneflies. Didn't have a problem with fish taking my standard catskill style sulphurs or comparaduns.

And yes this stream was in SE PA, well south of Allentown.

Posted on: 2013/4/30 12:50

From down the block from the Letort.
Quote:
Capture one and see if it has two tails.

Or just tie on a sulphur pattern and see if it catches fish...

Posted on: 2013/4/30 12:52

From Monessen, PA
Quote:

tomitrout wrote:
Quote:
Capture one and see if it has two tails.

Or just tie on a sulphur pattern and see if it catches fish...

Your advice, while correct is "no fun."

Posted on: 2013/4/30 12:56

From down the block from the Letort.
oh... I don't know, maybe. I've always found catching fish more fun than catching bugs.

Posted on: 2013/4/30 14:16

From Mount Joy, PA
Definitely had sulphurs hatching on the Donegal in Lancaster County. Fished over a hatch the other evening with Tim Robinson and the fish were smacking the surface with gusto. Not out of the question to have them hatching in Central PA.

Resized Image

In Charlie Meck's book, "Pocket guide to PA Hatches", he talks about how the hatches have moved up through the years due to global warming, etc. This was his observation of logging hatch dates, etc., for many, many years. Not surprising to see hatches earlier and earlier.

Posted on: 2013/4/30 14:46

Quote:

wgmiller wrote:
Definitely had sulphurs hatching on the Donegal in Lancaster County. Fished over a hatch the other evening with Tim Robinson and the fish were smacking the surface with gusto. Not out of the question to have them hatching in Central PA.

Resized Image

In Charlie Meck's book, "Pocket guide to PA Hatches", he talks about how the hatches have moved up through the years due to global warming, etc. This was his observation of logging hatch dates, etc., for many, many years. Not surprising to see hatches earlier and earlier.

Nice photo. Doesn't that bug look yummy!

Posted on: 2013/4/30 14:57

From Mount Joy, PA
The trout think so!

Posted on: 2013/4/30 15:59

From Whitehall, PA
Jack, was your question about ginger quill directed to me? If so my answer would be that I don't know. Generic names like Ginger Quill can be applied to any number of species. I think someone I know refers to use of ginger quill to imitate Gray Fox spinners.

Regarding the Vitreus, I think a fly pattern tied to imitate the dun is called a Pink Lady. The hatch on Penns is often overlooked, but in my experience the trout get right on them. They hatch in pretty good numbers on the Lehigh. I guess we're getting off topic but when Sulfers are discussed we really should account for the different species that get lumped together. Their sizes, colors and habits are different.

Jeff

Posted on: 2013/4/30 18:56

From Monessen, PA
Ginger Quill was just another "throw out" name that describes various specific species. Just like "sulfur." I stick with "yellow bug", "orange-ish-tan mayfly," etc.

Posted on: 2013/4/30 20:21

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Jack, if your just after size and color you can lump epeorus vitreus in with other sulfurs, but personally I agree with Penzzz. They are in entirely different families, and there are many important differences to the fishermen.

For instance, epeorus vitreus are clinger nymphs, more closely related to March Browns. They inhabit fast water. Hatches will be heaviest in and just below riffles, not so much in the slow pools. Further, the nymphs emerge from the shuck on the bottom and "fly" as adults to the surface. Meaning, if you wish to fish the hatch underneath, traditional winged wet flies are perhaps very effective. Nymphs in the film? Not so much. The only place nymphs are important are truly dredged right on the bottom, where some trout "pick" them directly off rocks and such, almost never will a nymph be "in the drift".

The ephemerella sulfurs such as invaria and dorothea are closely related. They are crawler mayflies, and inhabit all types of water, from riffles to slow pools. They're not very good swimmers, but prior to emergence, the nymphs struggle to swim to the surface, so nymphs are in the drift. Further, once they get there, they float just under the surface for some time, so often when you see those boils they are actually taking NYMPHS in the film, or at least emergers with shucks still attached. And aside from maybe drowned adults below heavy riffs, traditional winged wets aren't so important.

Further, the ephemerella sulphers tend to produce more impressive and consistent spinner falls. So when you see a big hatch, you know it's important to stick around till dark...

If you know the fish are absolutely taking duns on the surface, it probably doesn't matter much. But when things get tough and you're not quite sure what the fish are up to, knowing the species can indeed help you decide how to fish. And that absolutely helps you catch more. The more you know....

Posted on: 2013/4/30 21:10

From Cumberland
The past two days sulphurs have been hatching on a local WW stream and bass are loving them.

Posted on: 2013/4/30 21:24

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com