Sulfur Hatch

Wildfish

Wildfish

The fishing was tough yesterday, but rather than change water I stuck it out today and was mercifully rewarded. Around 3pm things began to turn around. Caddis were coming off along with clouds of midges. First fish to hand was a nice 17+ incher on a sz 20 midge (nymph). Really thought I was going to join the 20/20 club until I got the fish to net. Gave my 4wt a workout.

Sulfurs started to appear soon after, and so did a very nice gentleman who pointed out some runs and--to my surprise--rising fish. He was kind enough to let me take a shot at them. Landed the first (another 17+er) and LDRed the second. Both taken on sz 16 sulfur.

Great day on the water--and thanks to all who offered advice.

Attachments

• black caddis.jpg
    black caddis.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 3
  • dry fly.jpg
    dry fly.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 4
  • dry sulphur.jpg
    dry sulphur.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 2
  • midge.jpg
    midge.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 3
  • sulphur 2.jpg
    sulphur 2.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 2
  • sulphur.jpg
    sulphur.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 2
Glad that your fortunes turned for the better. I really like your photos, thanks for sharing!

Orange Cahill, lovely mayfly

great photos - i like the 2nd one especially...

nice fish too.

How about this one? Sulfur? Or cahill?

Attachments

• sulfur.jpg
    sulfur.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 2
3 tails=sulphur/pale evening dun

Tail is slightly obscured by a water droplet in the first photo (trying out my new waterproof camera), but it looks like there were at least two species of cream colored mayflies on the water. Trout didn't seem too fixed on one over the other. One of the fish was rising to midges but took my sulfur pattern anyway. Sure is fun fooling big fish on top.

Back