Suggestions for catch and release signage

foxtrapper1972

foxtrapper1972

I am no fan of signs but I am considering creating some small signage for the Keystone Select Trout areas in my region because I think these larger fish need special care to catch and release properly. Of course any way of educating anglers about proper catch and release techniques is helpful overall. This is a rough draft and I am seeking suggestions and feedback.

Tips for Catch and Release of Trout

1.Carry pliers or forceps for removing hooks. A net is helpful for landing fish and keeping them under control and in the water while removing hooks.

2,Keep the fish in the water as much as possible The fish should be out of the water for less than 5 seconds for a photo.

3. Do not put fish on the mud or rocks or grass. When holding the fish, keep fingers out of gills The joint between the tail fin and the body (caudal peduncle) can be held firmly as it is all bone.However the area around the pectoral fins and behind the gills must be cradled … not squeezed (aka, Death Grip), as it can do damage to the heart and/or liver.

4.When releasing a fish start with one hand under the belly and the other on the caudal peduncle. Face fish into slow current and remove hand from belly. Observe to see if fish is stable (stays upright.) Move tail from side to side. Fish should swim out of your hand, upright. Stay with fish until first four steps are accomplished successfully.If fish goes to bottom and sits, it is not a bad thing, but don’t leave it. Let it recover some more and then gently move the tail. A surviving fish will eventually swim away from you.

1. Catch fish on size 9x tippet.

2. Play fish for 2o minutes.

3. Land fish by squeezing mid section tight.

4. Lay fish on rocks/mud until it stops flopping around, makes removing hook better.

5. Grip and grin for picture, bonus points for fingers in gills.

6. Throw fish back in water and leave.

Your list seems much better than mine.

Back