Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Streamside ettiquete???

From Saylorsburg
Was itching so bad to we a line today decided to hit the bush kill creek in the c and r area below the falls.... While walking to the water another flyfisherman Passes me within ten feet and never even acknowledged my presence...... Then while in the water another one comes up to the bank and tells me how I am standing in the best spot and then casts so close that at the end of his drift his fly almost snags my waders...... The whole time smiling and telling me that he usually avoids anglers and keeps to himself..... So what do you guys think??? Who was worse.??? And how do you treat other anglers you may meet stream side ????

Posted on: 2013/3/30 20:31

Re: Streamside ettiquete???

From Ferguson Twp.
Sounds like he was a jerk trying to get a rise out of you for his own enjoyment. I don't understand why you asked who was worse though, sounds like you were just standing there fishing.

Posted on: 2013/3/30 20:57

No excuse...total a**holes. Walk away, light up the pipe and be glad you've caught so many fish you don't have to behave that way.

Posted on: 2013/3/30 21:17

From Newville, PA
The waterways were full of idiots. As I was driving my boat up onto the trailer today, I had a older gentleman (70+) tell me that I was not allowed to use outboard motors on the lake (Opossum Lake in Cumberland county). When I explained that I was using an electric trolling motor mounted to my transom, he said I didn't know what I was talking about. Thought it was best to just agree with him and move on.

Posted on: 2013/3/30 22:11

From Gamehendge
I usually dont talk to anyone when im on the stream. A polite head nod, or small wave is enough. As far as fishing close enough to someone. That they are in the area of my drift. No bueno.

Posted on: 2013/3/30 22:21

From PA and NH
They have not stocked Resica yet, maybe everyone up there is grumpy due to lack of fish.

Posted on: 2013/3/30 22:29

From Washington county
Just jon, some lakes you aren't even aloud to have gas, maybe he was just confused.

PeterM, how far in the water were you standing? You could be at fault, now he was definitely being an arse, he could have approached it from a different and friendlier angle

Posted on: 2013/3/30 22:38

From Saylorsburg
Kill3.... I was in the center of the stream..... I don't fault anyone.... If I'm uncomfortable I can always pick up and move.... I'd rather have a nice guy fish too close than a grumpy old farther pass within ten feet and not even acknowledge me... What's wrong with a wave or nod of the head.... The streams are long and wide... Why act like everyone is imposing instead of sharing a mutual passion.....

Posted on: 2013/3/30 22:50

From Cambria County
No matter which sport or hobby, you're always going to run into a few idiots. There's not excuse for a guy flinging a fly at you. As for the other guy, some people just aren't personable. I make a point to wave or nod and say good morning. After that, I figure if they want to chit chat, they'll do so.

Posted on: 2013/3/30 23:57

From Da 'Berg, PA
i nod but don't speak and i have no wish to disturb the fish.

if someones walking or sitting i normally ask the standard 'any luck ? '

Posted on: 2013/3/31 0:12

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
I would politely tell the other caster if he gets close to me again we are going to have a problem, then ask him why he is intruding on my fishing spot..why couldn't he go some where else on the stream..after that then who knows !!

Posted on: 2013/3/31 5:42

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

From Johnstown, PA
YOU know Sandy......a poke in the eye with a tip top guide , is gonna leave a mark and............that's gotta hurt!!!!

Posted on: 2013/3/31 7:14

From hellertown
After warning him on the next close call I would reach down grab the leader and pull till you get a good chunk of his.fly line and use my nippers there is no reason to do that

Posted on: 2013/3/31 7:59

From Washington county
There really isn't any reason to do that, but if you were standing right were fish were lying, I may have done the same, depending on how many people where at the creek, if I could find another spot I would just move on. Just because you have waders doesn't mean you have to stand in the middle of the creek, you might be standing in some good fishing waters.

Posted on: 2013/3/31 9:33

From Philadelphia PA
Does not the person walking past have the right to decide whether he/she wants to acknowledge your divine presence? It is only a curtesy. If someone walks by and smiles as they go by, does this mean they are friendly? You should not take things personal as you seem to have.

As far as opening day etiquetties, there usually are not very many. I had 2 spin casting gents turn me on to a hot fishing hole yesterday. I was a bit hesitant but joined them and it was worth it. I was almost skunked up tell then. Ended up with 3 browns and 1 rainbow with my 3wt. Normally I would have walked by and fished elsewheres. They could have been rude, but chose not to.

So the question is: how far do you feel someone shoud be from you before they start fishing (on opening day)?

Posted on: 2013/3/31 9:37
"I am respected when I walk into any fly shop. Salespeople wait on me hand and waders. I once tried underwater casting just to see if I could. I am the most admired Fly Fisherman in the world. And when I fly-fish, I use the Orvis Access. Stay Fishing MF

(1) 2 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com