Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Streamside ettiquete???

From Philadelphia PA

We do not know the mentality of the people out there these days. Some people may have had a bad day and were not able to think straight. Some people have this addiction (Flyfishing) to the max and all else has no concern what so ever, only to get their fix. If we try to enforce our attitudes upon them there may be a new concern mentioned in the news called "flyby shooting". I do not want to see or hear about anyone getting hurt just because they expected to be acknowledged or they feel they are being encroached upon. You choose>>>"you can be dead right or dead wrong, or alive". It's 99% in your response. If you feel the person is an idiot, do not lower yourself to their level.

Posted on: 2013/4/2 12:52
"I am respected when I walk into any fly shop. Salespeople wait on me hand and waders. I once tried underwater casting just to see if I could. I am the most admired Fly Fisherman in the world. And when I fly-fish, I use the Orvis Access. Stay Fishing MF

From chester ct
I don't think what I posted elsewhere is too redundant, since there are different posters in this thread:

"Sociable ffishing distance is relative. Once I was driving in a remote section of Colorado, so remote that a dog could have had his nap in the middle of the road for the whole day. I passed a section where, lo and behold, there was a fly fisherman. This was when ffishing was relatively rare in CO. Because he was a fellow ffisher, I stopped, hopped out and greeted the codger. I told him I wasn't from those parts and asked him how far I could ffish myself without crowding him.

I said the NJ Opening Day standard was enough room to extend your elbows, and the norm on certain Beaverkill pools was a cast away without double hauling.

He took the pipe out of his mouth, squinted at me and said "Sonny, if'n I can't get a good bead on you with a 30.06, then I reckon you'd be far enough."

I drove a few miles further up the stream."

Posted on: 2013/4/2 16:10

Edited by lestrout on 2013/4/2 16:39:07

From Ephrata, PA
Quote:

BradFromPotter wrote:
People pull in front of me when I'm driving, they drive 25mph in a 45mph speed zone, they take a parking spot that I was waiting for, they have 50 items in a 15 or less checkout lane at the store, & it goes on & on & on. So why does it surprise us when someones fishes too close to us?

Word. You forgot people going through the drive-thru at a bank with no account numbers, no slips filled out, 4 transactions, a few grand in cash, and a coin order.

Posted on: 2013/4/2 16:22

From MidAtlantic
Hmmm, In the first case if someone looks and seems to acknowledge your presence then I would nod and maybe wave as to no intrude on them. In the second case if someone does not invite you to fish I would go a hole or two up or down stream depending on the body of water. I did that more than a few times even though some bank hoppers jumped in front of me on opening day. IMO a fisherman should have an opportunity fish a good hole by themselves if they get there first. On big rivers where you have more space and more potential holding areas common sense and casting distances should be your guide. I often ask the other fisherman if it is OK to work up the other side or if I should haul out and go around them.

Posted on: 2013/4/2 19:43

From Philadelphia PA
Les: was that with or without a scope? There is a big distance!!

Posted on: 2013/4/2 20:12
"I am respected when I walk into any fly shop. Salespeople wait on me hand and waders. I once tried underwater casting just to see if I could. I am the most admired Fly Fisherman in the world. And when I fly-fish, I use the Orvis Access. Stay Fishing MF

From Lancaster County
Although the OP was about a C&R FFO section, some of the comments about fishing in ATW Opening Day are rendered void by now. I drove over two ATW on the way home tonight. One had 17 vehicles Saturday morning at 7:00AM and the other had more than that. Today, just three days later, there were ZERO vehicles at both. I suspect that having the stream to yourself would provide enough space. One would only have themselves to argue with

Posted on: 2013/4/2 20:21

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com