Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Streamside ettiquete???

From Barto PA
In the first place, Peterm clearly states that he was fishing the spec. regs. catch and release section of the Bushkill, not some section where the masses usually show up bent on catching their limit to the complete disregard of others. Usually, catch and release sections are almost devoid of other anglers on opening day, and if Peterm was there first and was not himself encroaching on anyone else, he had the right to stand or wade anywhere he pleased. Under almost no situation could I imagine that the guy who moved in and started fishing that close on a c & r section would be justified. On a bait section you would almost expect that kind of behavior, not on a c & r area.

Posted on: 2013/3/31 10:40

From Dallastown, PA
Opening day is not a day to take your etiquette horn and start two T,ing it, (see what I did there?) I crack myself up sometimes.

Anyhoo, yesterday, we were fishing a pretty clear, 10 meter wide stream with few and far between "green areas" (holding lies), Typically each one as we walked farther had a set of two to five anglers around or lined up on the side. This was around noon.

We skipped over the anglers, and fishing the marginal habitat in between until we came to a run along a high bank where a guy was diligently fishing a blow down at the head of the run. He remained there for five minutes upon our approach from down stream. When we got to he meat of the run/hole/pool, my buddy wrestled to put his minnow on, the guy above, (75') continued fishing his tree snag. (now to me, if I had seen two guys coming from below and had a low percentage lie in front of me and a the sweet spot just below, I would have moved a few steps toward it to "mark my territory). So we started to fish it and I ran a bugger through the sweet spot, You know one of those deep bath tubs along a clay bank with a little back eddie and overhanging clay ledge at the base of a riffle. Nothing for about 20 casts. Then my buddy still wrestling with a minnow/hook combo drops a minnow and I pick it up and tip it on my hook.

Second cast and wam, a nice rainbow. Minnies were the schist yesterday in the afternoon. So by now old snag breath above sees me land the fish and my buddy is baited up. Snag breath starts moving down toward us fishing the run, from the run muddying up the water. my buddy gets four casts before the run blown up and unfishable. the guys is a rod length away and says as we are both reeled in looking at the muddy water. "You guys done here?" I said "now we are, Well played!"

And we walked away (past him laughing) laughing. Then he stood thigh deep in the top of the hole and fished the spot he saw me land the bow from.

On other fronts....gangs of 4 and six anglers would walk down through the shallow side of the stream, behind us sending shock waves across the water to the other bank where the fish held. (when they could have easily got on the bank behind us.

It reminded me alot of steelhead fishing in Erie. you gotta have tolerance and patience. And be willing to assert your "place in the world" on occasion.

Posted on: 2013/3/31 11:04

From Saylorsburg
I don't presume to have or be a divine presence.... But I was brought up to have common courtesy..... Whether streamside tableside or barside.... To just nod or any gesture at all..... We have a common interest..... Rude is rude.... And I wasn't standing in the stream just because I was wearing waders... But that was where my wading lead me.... I doubt the angler meant to be so close but non the less he was..... Yet like I said I had the option to move... Instead I. Moved over rested the run and came away with a fish..... A while ago someone posted on the forum asking if fly fisherman were elitist..... Can rude be misinterpreted as elitist??????

Posted on: 2013/3/31 12:21

From hellertown
Fly fisherman certainly are not elite there are like anyone else .... You get the attitude you are elite your nothing more then a snob

Posted on: 2013/3/31 13:17

From South Lebanon Township, PA
Agree with Maurice...Opening day isn't a very good barometer of on the stream behavior IMO. I'm not trying to justify some of the antics you see, but you need to have a different set of expectations on opening day on an ATW. If you see someone else streamside on any of the other 51 Saturdays throughout the year odds are they understand the basics of good stream etiquette and will be respectful of other anglers.

I debated on going out yesterday, but opted to scratch some honeydo's off the list instead. Hoping the rain and Easter Sunday have things a little more quiet today on one of my favorite ATW's...gonna be going for the stockie slam!

Posted on: 2013/3/31 13:39

From aliquippa
if another fisherman gets to close to me, i just tell the guy " hey buddy i`m just learning this fly casting thing, so i`m probably going to cross your line or hook you ! ", and i start casting like crazy

Posted on: 2013/3/31 17:16

From lebanon, pa
i can't stand "opening day".

Posted on: 2013/3/31 17:34

From NC PA Mountains
People pull in front of me when I'm driving, they drive 25mph in a 45mph speed zone, they take a parking spot that I was waiting for, they have 50 items in a 15 or less checkout lane at the store, & it goes on & on & on. So why does it surprise us when someones fishes too close to us?

Posted on: 2013/3/31 18:35

Quote:

BradFromPotter wrote:
So why does it surprise us when someones fishes too close to us?

People just want a venue to whine.

Posted on: 2013/4/1 8:19

From Barto PA
Doesn't anyone really read a post before they fire off a response? Like Swattie 87 talking about changing your expectations on opening day on an ATW. Once more, for everybody's benefit, as Peterm stated in his original post and as I reiterated in my post above, the incident he was describing happened on a CATCH AND RELEASE section of the Bushkill. To me that's what makes what happened so unusual and disgusting. I would fully expect it to happen on an ATW on opening day or any other day of the year, but not on catch and release water by another fly fisherman.

Posted on: 2013/4/1 13:19

From NC PA Mountains
Quote:

RRR wrote:
Doesn't anyone really read a post before they fire off a response? Like Swattie 87 talking about changing your expectations on opening day on an ATW. Once more, for everybody's benefit, as Peterm stated in his original post and as I reiterated in my post above, the incident he was describing happened on a CATCH AND RELEASE section of the Bushkill. To me that's what makes what happened so unusual and disgusting. I would fully expect it to happen on an ATW on opening day or any other day of the year, but not on catch and release water by another fly fisherman.

But why does being a fly fisherman on catch & release water keep someone from doing these things?

Posted on: 2013/4/1 13:36

From Mont Co, Pa
Quote:

BradFromPotter wrote:
Quote:

RRR wrote:

But why does being a fly fisherman on catch & release water keep someone from doing these things?
It doesn't, there's idiots EVERYWHERE! It is probably less of an issue on FFO/CR water though. Fly fisherman seem to be more conscientious and curtious.

Posted on: 2013/4/1 14:17

From The Frozen Tundra of WI
Quote:

jrcll wrote:
if another fisherman gets to close to me, i just tell the guy " hey buddy i`m just learning this fly casting thing, so i`m probably going to cross your line or hook you ! ", and i start casting like crazy

hahaha im using this. But most people run away from my horrible flailing before i get a chance to say anything...

Posted on: 2013/4/1 15:48

From LV
Guys like that give fly fishermen a bad name.

Posted on: 2013/4/1 17:23

From Northumberland County
On the glass half full side of things, today I was out and had two older gents pull up to the stream. They parked down stream of me and saw that I was working their direction. They waved, walked up stream of me well clear of where I was fishing and followed me down stream leaving plenty of space. Fish, have fun, and move on if someone really irks you that bad.

Posted on: 2013/4/1 19:56

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes 95% (139)
No 0% (0)
Thinking about it 4% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com