Streamside Lunch

Swattie87

Swattie87

What does everyone like to pack for streamside lunches?

My favorite is a pepperoni roll...pepperoni/cheese baked in its own bread containment vessel. No need to refrigerate is the best part. I don't make them that often, but for a big weekend (or longer) fishing trip I'll make a batch.

Other than that I like a classic PB/J...on white bread. I like whole wheat and all that stuff for deli meats, but PB/J needs white bread IMO.

I usually only carry water with me, but sometimes will have a cold beer in the cooler back at the truck, or stash one in a spring seep somewhere for the walk back.

I like to take some good cheese, brie, camembert, gruyere,manchego, etc, along with some good dried sausage, then some crackers or good bread/rolls. also some type of fruit, an apple or something. and oh yeah, I do like to have some beers to match what I eat. If I do pack in a PB&J, then it's gonna be a PBR! If I do some good cheeses and snausage, then it's gonna be a nice IPA or something. I'm never in a hurry anymore when I fish, those days are over. I like to take a liesurely break and enjoy my surroundings. in cold weather, I sometimes build a little fire(if allowed) and brew a pot of coffee ala John Geirach.
I've been known to have a flask of something special on me as well.
no mater if I take food, beer, whatever, I ALWAYS take water.

I prefer to have Dave (djs12354) man a grill for me @ lunch time.

Haven't done a weekend trip yet but I'm w/ ya ... simple PB&J if I'm out for 4+hrs. This sunday was the 1st time I hit (or tried :)) to hit 3 different creeks so in between I hit a subway for lunch.

Always have water and Cliff bars with me no matter how long I'm fishing.

bikerfish wrote:

I like to take some good cheese, brie, camembert, gruyere,manchego, etc, along with some good dried sausage, then some crackers or good bread/rolls. also some type of fruit, an apple or something.

This man has way to much class to hang with me ;-)

If I pack a pb&j then I try to use the heels of the bread... doesn't get squashed as easily in my pack.

I usually have some trail mix, granola bars, or protein bars permanently stashed in my pack somewhere just in case I forget to pack a lunch.

I also just bought a camelpak bladder to put in my pack. Best decision ever. I don't usually take time to take my pack off and grab a bottle of water throughout the day and at the end of a long day of fishing I end up with a headache from dehydration. The camelpak lets me have access to my water all day long.

Not this thread again!!!

Stagger_Lee wrote:
bikerfish wrote:

I like to take some good cheese, brie, camembert, gruyere,manchego, etc, along with some good dried sausage, then some crackers or good bread/rolls. also some type of fruit, an apple or something.

This man has way to much class to hang with me ;-)

no, lifes just too short to eat crappy food!

Trail mix (usually I make it myself-all natural, unsalted almonds, sunflower and pumpkin seeds, a few raisins), an apple or banana, and water. Hey! I'm still tryin' to lose weight!

If I'm gonna be close to the truck at lunch time - I have a lunch meat and cheese sammich, along with a coke, from the cooler.

When hiking in to brookie streams - I carry granola bars or a bag of nuts, and drink good ol H2O.

After seeing bikerfish's menu though, I guess I'm just eating peasant food!
By the way Allen - I guess you suggest a Pabst Blue Ribbon beer to go with a peanut butter and jelly sammich?

Sometimes I like a to take a small backpacking stove with me and a freeze dried meal from Mountain House. All you have to do is boil water and put the boiling water in the bag and let it sit/cook for a few minutes. Cliff bars/trail mix are good too.

Attachments

• fishfood.jpg
    fishfood.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 2
dryflyguy wrote:
If I'm gonna be close to the truck at lunch time - I have a lunch meat and cheese sammich, along with a coke, from the cooler.

When hiking in to brookie streams - I carry granola bars or a bag of nuts, and drink good ol H2O.

After seeing bikerfish's menu though, I guess I'm just eating peasant food!
By the way Allen - I guess you suggest a Pabst Blue Ribbon beer to go with a peanut butter and jelly sammich?

yep!

That sounds like the classic old man gut rot lunch!

RiverWalcks

/thread

wawa bologna and american cheese on whie bread with mayo sammich. i prefer a one haned lunch and usually eat it while driving to the stream

bikerfish wrote:
I like to take some good cheese, brie, camembert, gruyere,manchego, etc, along with some good dried sausage, then some crackers or good bread/rolls. also some type of fruit, an apple or something. and oh yeah, I do like to have some beers to match what I eat. If I do pack in a PB&J, then it's gonna be a PBR! If I do some good cheeses and snausage, then it's gonna be a nice IPA or something. I'm never in a hurry anymore when I fish, those days are over. I like to take a liesurely break and enjoy my surroundings. in cold weather, I sometimes build a little fire(if allowed) and brew a pot of coffee ala John Geirach.
I've been known to have a flask of something special on me as well.
no mater if I take food, beer, whatever, I ALWAYS take water.

Bro...we are not fishing together enough ;-)

Cliff bars, candy, water. Something I can eat an fish with at the same time.

I like to take Spaghetti-O's and place them in a giant zip lock bag, and then place that bag in my waders. They warm up nice by lunch time.

I usually take some smaller snacks, and worry about real food when I get home. Water, Gatorade, Vienna Sausages, Peanut butter crackers, small bag of trail mix, and a protein bar or 2 and I'm set for hours.

Forgot to mention, a cold Spam sandwich is sometimes added to my arsenal.

trout almondine, white wine, and a fresh salad.

Back