Streams that "Move" you

• Thread starter salvelinusfontinalis
  • Start date
salvelinusfontinalis

salvelinusfontinalis

If I had to pick a list of streams that give you a "feeling" , an experience to remember, history or are just down right beautiful mine would look like this.

13. Hot Creek - California
12. White River-Bull Shoals Tailwater (Arkansas)
11. Green River (Wyoming and Utah)
10. Sedanka Spring Creek-Kamchatka
9. Connecticut River, (New Hampshire and Vermont)
8. Yellowstone River (Yellowstone National Park and Montana)
7. Depuy's Spring Creek- Armstrong's Spring Creek -
Nelson's Spring Creek
6. Letort Spring Creek - Big Spring - Falling Spring - PA
5. New Zealand Spring Creeks
4. Missouri River (Montana)
3. Ireland/ England Chalk Streams
2. Brook Trout Spring Creeks of Argentina
1. North Woods, Sutton River, God's River - Canada

1. spring creeks of the cumberland valley
2. clarks creek
3.stony creek
4. manada creek
5. tumbling mountain brook trout streams of lebanon/ schuykill co.

These places move me because of the people I fish them with and the awesome expirences ive had there. some of these streams are very well known and some not, but each of them hold a place near and dear to me. I havent fly fished out of pa much but id love to think that these streams are as wonderful as any in the world.

kettle for the memories
pine for the memories and how small I feel in the canyon
one in Lanc Lanc I dare not mention because it's where I first learned fly fishing and is very special.
elk because I learned what cold means in erie in january...burrrr!
Lsock because its just so beautiful.
and one in berks because it reminds me of the pine for some reason.

I don't get around that much I have been to the stoney and clarks and breeches and they are all gorgeous, but they don't make me feel anything like these waters do. maybe someday I will.

Sal, your list is a great bucket list, but given that I have only been to a few of them, those are the ones that give me a special feeling.

I am surprised at seeing White River showing up on so many peoples lists.

These are in no particular order, I just like to number:

1. Penns Creek - first time a fished it was during the green drake hatch. It was everything I thought it would be.
2. Henrys Fork - both the ranch and box canyon, but for different reasons. the ranch was so calm and peaceful. the canyon was just beautiful
3. Silver Creek - looking at it from the observatory at night is awesome.
4. Owyhee River - my best memories from living out west are on that river with my friends.
5. Soda Butte - I just love where that river sits in YNP.
6. Letort - I havent fished it in 10 years - but i still remember how it felt walking up to it (and falling in a hole.........)
7. Lamar River - the canyon - i had one of my finest days fishing in there with one of my finest friends.

I guess this could go on, but these are the most memorable. I have been fly fishing for 14 years - longer than some, but probably not longer than most. And, while this may sound corny, almost every new bank I walk to I still get as excited as the first time I picked up a fly rod. The experience and challenge of new water excites me, and no matter where you are it is a beautiful place to be.

Never met a trout stream I didn't like but for sheer beauty I would go with the Yellowstone in Paradise valley of Montana.

Any of the remote freestone streams in NC or NE Penna that have a wild population of trout. I'm easy to please.

pete41 wrote:
Never met a trout stream I didn't like but for sheer beauty I would go with the Yellowstone in Paradise valley of Montana.

Easy on your eyes...........+1 Pete

streams that move me would be:
the loyalsock (lots of camping and one of my largest fish ever)
the Elk River in WV. (caught more fish there in three days than most ppl catch in 3 yrs. but I wont admit what bait we used even though its legal.)
Fishing Creek Benton (thats where I learned to trout fish with my grandfather back when you could fish the whole stream)
the Madison (saw the biggest feeding frenzy in my life on that stream one early evening but didnt have the right flies till we went to blue ribbon fly shop the next day)
the fire hole (caught most of our fish on the firehole the year we were there. we were limited to a few streams because of the snow melt still going on.)
the animas CO. (just fished that stream last month a beautiful blue ribbon stream that flows right through Durango caught the most fish behind the wal-mart in town.)
the viacito and the laplata rivers in Co. (georgous mtn streams that have the most spectacular backgrounds of super tall mtns still with snow pack on the last of July)
Definitly heading back next summer to Co and Yellowstone if possible.

I haven't been around much, but my list is similar to Tim Robinson's. His early years in fly fishing included many trips w/ my family up to God's Country. His good time memories of fly fishing are like many of my early memories of fly fishing.

The Kettle Creek. This is where I learned to fly fish. I bought my first fly rod at a hardware store in Coudersport. Didn't know what I was doing, but it was the start of something great. I caught my first fish on the fly at the Delayed Harvest section of the Kettle down from Oleona on a little olive beedhead. I try to go back to that hole once a year at least.

The Pine Creek. Again, lots of memories. This stream, and the Kettle, they just have a feeling to them. I love that area of the state. I've spent my entire life going up to that part of the county. My family cabin has been there longer than many of the residents who live up there. Its part of who I am, I think. These streams just make me feel "at home". Man, that's lame!

Penn's Creek. My dad used to take my brother and me camping at Poe Paddy and I spent my early years of fly fishing on this creek. I haven't been there in about 15 years. I should do something about that.

I haven't travelled much, obviously. I got to fly fish the St John's down in Jacksonville one week a few summers ago. I'd like to try that again 'cause I know A LOT more about that area now. I tried to do my homework as best I could, but I think I could do a lot more now.

I had a religious experience on Penns during a green drake hatch, so I have to give that props for "moving me." Honorable mention to Letort Spring Run and Spruce Creek.

Penn's is also where I caught my first smallie on the fly. I thought, "I didn't know you could do that!" It sparked an entirely new obsession w/ me!

The_Sasquatch wrote:

I haven't travelled much, obviously. I got to fly fish the St John's down in Jacksonville one week a few summers ago. I'd like to try that again 'cause I know A LOT more about that area now. I tried to do my homework as best I could, but I think I could do a lot more now.

Good call! I have never fly fished St Johns but I have fish it many times and it is breath taking.

It is a beautiful Southern river at places.I have seen the whole length of it.[St.Johns]
One of the few major rivers in the south that flow north.

I've been eager to try this again. I was just so ignorant the first time down. My wife's cousins have a house right on the river, and a beach house in St Augustine. I really wasted the week we spent down there. Next time, I'm seeking out the Salty Feather and I'm going w/ all the info I can get! I'm sure there are plenty of guys here who will be able to give me some good advice as well.

St.Augustine area has fabulous creeks to try for reds all the way to Daytona-no excuse young man-would be great flyfishing.

Okay Pete...next time I'm there I'm hitting you up! No excuses either! If I'm driving 13-14 hours, you're gonna be available!

Anywhere in Russia where I could catch a Taimen

River Test

Railroad Ranch on HF

Lititz Run

I thought taimen were most abundant in Mongolia? Anyway, that is absolutely on my fly fishing bucket list. Along with approximately 1,000,000 other destinations.......

Most of them move me in some fashion.
The ones that move me the most are Letort and Fishing creek in Lamar. One is a classic meadow limestoner, the other is a cross between limestone and freestoner. Though both beautiful in places, I think that the trout are highly fickle is part of the intrigue to me. There still seems to be a mystery quality along with a heritage from days gone by.

Back