Streams still fishable with cold front!

J

jwalms90

Has anyone seen or know of any streams that aren’t ready for pond hockey that would be decent for a winter fishing fix ?
New to the site just trying to use some resources before I drive 2.5 hours to spring creek on a whim.

I wrote up a report on the Cumberland Valley and south central PA in the Locations forum.

As of 8:30 am it's 1*F in State College with a high temp predicted to be 11*F this afternoon and a low tonight of -1*F.

http://www.intellicast.com/Local/Weather.aspx?location=USPA1575

Even if you find open water, anyone that has ever tried to fly-fish under such conditions will tell you it's really tough, but the choice is yours.

Temps next week are predicted to moderate.

Ice in the guides takes all the fun out of it-
Loved the chinooks when I lived in Montana but then the runoff would shut down what often would be really awesome fishing on shallow rocky bottom flats or deep holes with under water springs---would take vacation time when a chinook moved in to stream flyfish rivers in january in Montana-suspect hard to believe for those that didn't live there.The fish were a little lighter on average as it was post spawn but they were hungry,no one else was bothering them.
The water would be crystal clear and at its lowest-wonderful fishing conditions until a little discolor-lights out.

Back