Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 9 »

Re: Stream Reports! What Stream Reports?
From Altoona, PA
"I have seen some sites where they limit the stream report viewing to logged in users and one with a section that is limite dto registered, logging in users with at least 50 posts. Tends to cut down on the paranoia."

That's not bad idea, actually. I'll send Dave Kile a PM about that.

Posted on: 2008/5/22 20:16

From lancaster county
Yes I like that idea also. Old Sal just might share more info if the board was more like that.

Posted on: 2008/5/22 20:23

From Hatfield, Pa.
I was just getting ready to post a stream report then I read this thread.
Posting stream reports to me is a way of sharing information with fellow flyfishers, for the most part I tell where, when, what and with what I caught fish. I like sharing info in the hope that it is a mutual relationship. If we are putting them back int the water anyway what is the difference.
I would be glad to share a stream with most of the guys on the board.

Buffalo

Posted on: 2008/5/22 20:53

From bucks cty
I think the current approach helps attract new members. Requiring a certain number of posts first seems somewhat unwelcome. Tends to reinforce the idea that fly fishing is an exclusive club.

Posted on: 2008/5/22 21:05

From Dallastown, PA
Quote:

tabasco_joe wrote:
I think the current approach helps attract new members. Requiring a certain number of posts first seems somewhat unwelcome. Tends to reinforce the idea that fly fishing is an exclusive club.

I agree with Joe, but I would like to see more contribution. I think the number of posts idea is a little much but keeping it to registration would place a comfort level on it as Sal suggests.

Good deliberation guys.

Posted on: 2008/5/22 21:54

From Harrisburg
Dear Maurice,

Don't we already have to be registered to post anyway?

Leave it like it is, some people are just selfish and think you are giving away the house if you give a little info about their stream.

I never understood those people anyway so if I ever offend them it ain't like I care.

Regards,
Tim Murphy

Posted on: 2008/5/22 22:37

From Dallastown, PA
Quote:

TimMurphy wrote:
Dear Maurice,

Don't we already have to be registered to post anyway?

Leave it like it is, some people are just selfish and think you are giving away the house if you give a little info about their stream.

I never understood those people anyway so if I ever offend them it ain't like I care.

Regards,
Tim Murphy

Well, in order to offend them you'd actually have to post a stream report. Or attack them once they did.....the choice is yours. BTW, attacks are off limits....so yeah, you'd have to post a stream report.

NEXT!

Posted on: 2008/5/22 23:36

Webmaster
I am glad this topic came up, because as Jack said this is one of the man reasons I got the site up. There were Stream reports before there was a message board. They are called Stream Reports not Fishing Reports! It is a great resource, just like the USGS Gages, to understand conditions of the streams in the area.

I do get bothered that many consider this Kiss and Tell. I do not. There are any numbers of other publications that share intimate details about the streams in Pennsylvania. This particular format is more timely and dynamic than most.

If I were planning to go to Yellow Creek, it would be interesting to see what was happening lately. Key word "planning", not I of "I see the sulphers are out I am not going to go to Yellow Creek now."

I am still holding on to about 10,000 old stream reports before the new site format. My goal still is to add them back into a new format to be used on the site. I have talked about it, but beyond my technical skill sets right now.

There is an incredible value in this kind of historical data. It can really capture the rich entomology of a stream. I can provide trends and be a great learning experience for everyone. Landis, Meck and others all provide important information about streams and what to expect. It is 2008 now this is how information is exchange today. When you go the CNN web site you get current timely information, nit yesterdays news.

I don’t want to hijack thread to discuss “if” there should be Stream Reports. We have them. It is more a question of what is in them and who should see them.

Please keep discussing this I would like to hear from everyone. I have been considering keeping these posts private to registered members for a while. So please keep the dialog going.

If keeping it private helps that is good, but I agree with Steve More Cowbell, I gotta have more Cowbell!!

Posted on: 2008/5/23 6:57

From York
I'll second (or is it third or fourth, I lost count) the idea of making stream reports available to registered users only. Dave, could you put some kind of time limit where if you have not posted in "X" amount of time you can't view the stream reports/off topic section? Maybe this would encourage more post and ease peoples fears of lurkers.

Posted on: 2008/5/23 7:29

From Chester County
Dave,

Great idea to hash out this issue. A discussion began a month or so ago, but the thread was locked. Hopefully many others will share their thoughts.

I’m a “tweener” on this subject – somewhere between post every gory detail about a stream and “loose lips sink ships.”

My main concern about posting detailed info about a stream is not knowing who is reading it. I recall you stating that for every one registered board member there are ten lurkers. I “know” nearly every registered board member, since I read 99% of everything posted here. Without hesitation, I would share info with the hundreds board members - but what about those thousands of lurkers? - Who are these guys? If you opened their fridges would you find dozens of freezer burned trout in their freezer, and styrofoam worm containers destined to be left on the banks of our streams in their refrigerator section? I would be much more willing to share info if it were limited to those who contribute to the site.

I believe that posting about streams does contribute to stream crowding to some degree, but I am also a ”tweener” on this subject. First of all, crowding would be less of a problem since the reports are view by less people. Secondly, and more importantly, I wouldn’t mind sharing my fishin’ hole with other folks who care for and respect the stream and the fish. Also, I agree with the argument for posting more info about more streams would tend to spread out the pressure rather than concentrate it.

My vote is to allow stream reports to be viewed only by registered users. I will go a little further, while making it password protected to limit access only to members with a certain number of posts who stifle new membership, perhaps deleting members who do not post for a certain time period would stop most lurkers who register just to gain access to info. Just a thought.

That’s my $.02. Again, thanks Dave for all your hard work in making this site the most enjoyable place for me on the www.

Posted on: 2008/5/23 7:53

From Monessen, PA
The people who whine about stream reports seem to have got their way based upon the several comments, including mine, that the griping isn't worth the trouble. It's time we turn the tables. Dave, give me permission to delete replies that are in the nature of criticism of posting of information. If we don't have to deal with the negative comments, it will eliminate the problem for many.

Posted on: 2008/5/23 7:55

-- Leo Tolstoy

Wow this is cool!!

Dave apperently is a data guy as well

Jack, your idea is also very good. If we establish the rule as "stream reports are for stream reports only" that would eliminate all of the current sniping. Sure some people will be ticked initially but if they want to continue to be a part of this nebulus online community they will accept the rule. That would clean things up a bit. Furthermore by removing the negativity, like you said, it would encourage more people to post.

I am for both regestered views only and more active moderation.

Posted on: 2008/5/23 8:17

From Chester County
Jack,

I don’t believe that censorship of those who have a certain point of view is the answer. I believe that if one disagrees with another poster on any subject, their post should not be deleted, as long as they remain respectful to the poster and other members of the board.

Also, deleting "negative" posts would not help much. While I have never sent nor received a PM about posting too much stream info, I gather that many are voicing their opinions via PMs. That’s likely the cause of the lack of stream reports in recent months. Just my opinion – please do not delete………………..

Posted on: 2008/5/23 8:22

From lancaster county
, Dave and all,

This is a very good discussion. I was brief on my previous comments and I would like to go into more detail on the subject.

I do somewhat agree with the sediment that keeping stream reports viewed to members who post "X" number of times can make flyfishing seem like an elitist club. I dont see another way though. The users not registered will now register and continue to not contribute to the board just to see stream reports.

There isnt one single user that has posted for a number of years even months that i wouldnt share information with via pm's. Jack, afish, Maurice, troutbert, MKern, Steve98, Wmass and the list goes on and on. That tells me that if the stream reports were limited to users that have posted "X" number of times i would more than likely be willing to help them out also. So if the stream reports were only open to users that have met the criteria then we could share hatches about other streams also. Wouldnt it be nice to have historical data on small wild streams also?

Jack I hope Dave does give you permission to delete vebally aggressive posts weather it be in the stream report section or any other section. Sometimes we all can get into a nice debate, a heated debate and sometimes we all go to far. Thats when I usually apologize. The actions I saw on the Meadow Run thread were way off base. Heck when i saw all those great fish alby caught I was happy for him and gave me solice that maybe Ill get a big one sometimes soon again. So please monitor and delete any attacking posts, even if its me , Im not Dave but you got my thumbs up.

The bottomline is....we all want more stream reports with out being chastized, yelled at or even insulted for posting one up. The only effective way I see to keep the information protected from those who want to harm our fisheries and yet share them with those who could use and enjoy them...........is to limit them to members that have posted "X" number of times. just my opinion

Posted on: 2008/5/23 8:30

From lancaster county
oh yeah dave, are we refering to stream reports as cowbells now!

Posted on: 2008/5/23 8:38

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 9 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Goal during a day on the water....
Catching a single fish makes me happy 19% (18)
I want to catch every fish in the stream 4% (4)
50 dinks is a dream day 2% (2)
Only want to catch big fish 9% (9)
Catching the toughest fish in the steam is my goal 4% (4)
Beautiful place, hit the hatch and whatever happens, happens 29% (27)
Who cares? It beats work. 31% (29)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/11/27 22:13
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com