Stream Gage Monitor

T

tom416

Does anyone know if there is a streamflow monitior on Big Fishing Creek, the one by Lamar, PA?
If thereis would someone please post the number of it so I could look it up.
I had looked around but could not find a listing but believe that i just missed it as I would think that there would be one associated with it.
Thank you for your help.
Tom Hartman

There's no gauge on Big FC that I am aware of. The best you can do is call Fly Fisherman's Paradise in State college for a report or check the stream report on their site.

http://www.flyfishersparadise.com/

The stream stays cool all summer and it is running low right now, like most other streams in PA. The Narrows or the water downstream should fish okay, but the fish will be easily spooked. That's the best I can tell you. Oh, ants and beetles are a good place to start if you are going. Good luck.

These guys have been keeping up recently as well:

http://www.tcoflyfishing.com/1sc_fishingcreekconditions.cfm

Fishing Creek in Clinton County is probably the only big, well known trout stream that isn't on the USGS.
What I do is compare it to spring creeks level - a reading of 3.0 or lower at the Milesburg gauge is great conditions there, and ditto for fishing creek. I have fished spring at 3.5 reading, and though you can catch fish, it's not real great, especially for dries.
Again, same for fishing. A reading of 4 or higher, and forget it - on both streams

I'm not trying to contradict the prior post, but when the stream conditions are effected by recent rains, Spring and Fishing can experience very different fluctuations because they are draining separate valleys. We experienced this at a few Jamborees.

At present, this probably isn't an issue as they both return to a more regular flow fairly quick and I don't think you've had rain since Friday so the method suggested is valid. When there are scattered showers of severe intensity, one can get muddy and the other be significantly clearer or perhaps not effected at all.

Incidentally, I just saw that the USGS placed a stream guage station right in the middle of the PSU stretch of Spruce Creek. I haven't checked if it is online yet, but maybe they will be getting around to doing Fishing Creek soon.

Jack - your point is well taken. With the scattered, heavy thunderstorms we've been getting this summer, it's always possible for one stream to be high, and the other, even though only 20 minutes away,- to be low.
But I would say at least 90 % of the time, these two streams will hold similar water levels.
I've been comparing them ever since I got a computer 7-8 years ago, and haven't been steered wrong yet.
Until they finally get a gauge in fishing creek, I guess it's the best I can do for now.

Back