Strange Sound....

HBGMarine

HBGMarine

I was fishing Stony Creek in Dauphin County last Monday and kept hearing a strange sound while I was on the stream. It sounded like thumping on a hollow air filled cavity almost like the sound beating on your chest makes. It started slow then increased rapidly in frequency. I'm assuming it was some type of bird but not sure. Any thoughts?

Ruffed Grouse, that is called drumming

Grouse, trying to hook up with a date. :-D

Did you every see JAWS? Sounds like you just escaped being attacked by the biggest brown ever.

Pa. state game bird, Ruffed Grouse, male, drumming, (usually on a hollow log). Spring time ritual.

I was fishing with a buddy a few years ago, when a grouse started drumming. Mark, who has never hunted, didn't know what it was.
So he says to me that there must be a farmer around trying to start a tractor or something. And I guess that's a pretty good thing to compare it too. He couldn't believe it when I told him that a little brown bird, smaller than a chicken, was making that big sound.

Stevie-B wrote:
Did you every see JAWS? Sounds like you just escaped being attacked by the biggest brown ever.

LoL, I think you're right Stevie! Too bad he wouldn't take my woolly bugger.

First time I ever heard that it was on Greensprings-loved that sound.

Big Foot?

Homeless drummer who used to live near the state Farm Show building?

Back