Stony on the verge?

S

Squaretail

Img_6172.jpg

I can only imagine the Limestone well at the top of Stony in Dauphin is starting to pay some dividends as far as wild trout are concerned. I caught two on the 24th of May. Both were in a stretch maybe 1/4 above the dam waters, atleast 10 miles below the limestone well.
Img_6171.jpg

Hopefully these fellers will get a chance to spawn this fall, already dodging most of the harvesters as the fish on Stony are getting smarter by the day it seems.
Out of all the people I have ever talked to, I am the only one to catch wilds below the gate. Is there anyone else on this board who has? Wilds taking hold on Stony would be one of the few good stories of this year for me and after all the work, Doc Fritchey chapter is again gaining respect from me.

That's awesome, man! Good to see it's working. Thanks to all who worked on the diversion well project. I wish the well filling schedule didn't conflict with my work schedule, I've always wanted to lend a hand up there, but thanks again to all those who have. You have done a great service to both nature and your fellow man!

Boyer

I've heard people say they have caught streambred fish, even some rather large ones. I've always taken this with a grain of salt. The pH readings we've taken have been tolerable for adult fish whenever I have heard, but we only take them once a week. I don't know what's going on outside of a limited testing schedule. The other thing I wonder about is the eggs, which I am told are much more vulnerable than adult fish.

The well work crew always needs new people. You can show up once, once a month, once a year. No questions asked, no guilt trips for more than you can do. Just come out and check out the well. It's amazing. Check out www.DFTU.org for more information. Here's the map to get to the well http://www.dftu.org/images/maptodivewell.jpg The crew meets at 6 on Mondays through the summer. The details on our projects are on this page: http://www.dftu.org/projects.htm

Back