Stocking Question

AugustWest

AugustWest

I own a cottage which fronts a Class A wild trout stream. There only a few neighbors, none of whom fish. It is a very quiet out of the way place. A new neighbor, who bought an existing cottage, has started to stock rainbows in front of his place. He informed me and has been very nice. Prior to this there have been only wild browns and native brookies forever. The cottage has been in my family for 50 years. I feel some stewardship of the area.

I am not in favor of the stocking, but do not know if there are any laws being broken. If so, I will tell him, but if not, I still want to have a good relationship with him, so there is no sense jumping up and down. He is a really good guy and very friendly, just does not hold the same vision as I do.

I emailed PFBC twice and have not received a reply either time. Anyone know anyone I can contact or know what the rules are?

Thanks for any information you can give me.

Your best bet is to talk to the PFBC Area Manager for your region. If you don’t know who it is, contact information can be obtained by calling Tom Greene, Head of Coldwater Division, PFBC at (814) 359-5160 or by searching the PFBC Website. Please let me know how you make out. Contact me at 814-765-1035 or kcoffer@atlanticbb.net .

The PFBC is the correct place to inquire and/or complain. It is puzzling that you received no reply. Perhaps you used too general an e-mail address. I would suggest looking up your local district and placing a call and asking to speak to a WCO. Then persist in being transfered to the person who can authoritatively answer one or two questions:

1. Is it lawful to stock a Class A stream on your own property; and
2. If not, what can be done to stop it.

Good luck.

Back