Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Stocked trout adapting

From SE Pa
I know this has been debated before, but after I caught a juvenile 5" obviously wild brown today in Chester Creek I'm wondering if it is really impossible for some stocked trout to adapt & breed.

This fish was caught quite some distance from any Runs or feeders that are known to have wild populations (I know where some do). And I'm wondering how even those populations got started as well - if stocked fish indeed absolutely cannot adapt.

Posted on: 2013/5/2 0:10

Re: Stocked trout adapting

The raptors are breeding in the park?
Life finds a way.

haha

they can and will, they just need the right conditions. How else would we have wild browns and bows, and in many places, "native" brookies. Hard to say that those natives are the same strain that was here when the indians roamed, considering there was more clear cutting in the last 400 years then most of us can even begin to wrap our minds around.

It is also possible that they stocked a 5 inch fish. I have seen that before, and considered it an atrocity. Since I don't know you, I can only figure that you know what a wild fish looks like, so you are probably right on. They've been humping. It isn't like they are sterilized or they weren't taught how to. It's nature man.

btw, i have no idea about this Chester creek, location, conditions, etc

Posted on: 2013/5/2 1:00

From Gettysburg
Quote:

springer1 wrote:
This fish was caught quite some distance from any Runs or feeders that are known to have wild populations (I know where some do). And I'm wondering how even those populations got started as well - if stocked fish indeed absolutely cannot adapt.

Sure, they can adapt and start spawning.....although I think this is relatively rare these days. Although I'm not familiar with the watershed in question, you might be surprised how far wild trout will travel. It's not uncommon for browns to migrate many miles up and down warm water rivers during the colder months of the year and then up into smaller tribs come late spring. The presence of a lone (or a few) wild fish doesn't necessarily imply that stockies are spawning, although it could. I'm usually inclined to attribute it to migration.
Whatever the case, consider it good news and keep an eye out. Maybe walk the stream in November and look for spawners.

Posted on: 2013/5/3 7:39

From Perkasie PA
Surprising because I thought Chester was mostly a warm water creek, but a section of it is on the natural reproduction list.

http://fishandboat.com/trout_repro.pdf

It could have been stocked though. I caught a 6 inch brown out of the EB Perk yesterday that was definitely a stockie. I think sometimes they just get thrown in the net by accident.

Posted on: 2013/5/3 11:16

Since it's on the reproduction list, it may not be a matter of recent stocked browns adapting. There may have been wild browns there since long before any of us were born. Brown trout were introduced in the US in the 1800s and have been reproducing in the streams ever since.

I'm not sure why this idea persists that if there are wild browns in a stream that it must be the result of recent stockings.

For example, if someone sees a carp or an English sparrow, or a smallmouth bass in the Delaware River, they don't tend to assume that they are there as a result of recent stockies adapting. People realize that those creatures were introduced, and established populations, a long time ago.

The situation is the same with brown trout. If all stocking of brown trout ended, 20 years from now there would still be brown trout very widely distributed.

Posted on: 2013/5/3 12:26

From LV
Quote:

troutbert wrote:
Since it's on the reproduction list, it may not be a matter of recent stocked browns adapting. There may have been wild browns there since long before any of us were born. Brown trout were introduced in the US in the 1800s and have been reproducing in the streams ever since.

I'm not sure why this idea persists that if there are wild browns in a stream that it must be the result of recent stockings.

For example, if someone sees a carp or an English sparrow, or a smallmouth bass in the Delaware River, they don't tend to assume that they are there as a result of recent stockies adapting. People realize that those creatures were introduced, and established populations, a long time ago.

The situation is the same with brown trout. If all stocking of brown trout ended, 20 years from now there would still be brown trout very widely distributed.

AMEN!

Posted on: 2013/5/3 12:29

From Chester County
Where is chester creek on the list? one tributary is listed, not Chester creek itself, unless it's listed for a different county and I missed it. I would agree that the fish migrated from somewhere and will be miles away come summer.

Posted on: 2013/5/3 15:00

From LV
Chester Creek is not listed.

Posted on: 2013/5/3 17:26

From Perkasie PA
Sorry, didnt realize. It's Rocky Run, which is a trib to Chester Creek. I looked at it too fast. Still, it's possible I guess.

Posted on: 2013/5/6 13:35

From Philadelphia PA
Since most people in the U.S. are stockies and we have reproduced - Why can't trout do the same?

Let's make a trip up to NY City Central Park and catch some of them stocked snakeheads they got in there!

P.S. the state didn't stock them.

Posted on: 2013/5/6 13:47
"I am respected when I walk into any fly shop. Salespeople wait on me hand and waders. I once tried underwater casting just to see if I could. I am the most admired Fly Fisherman in the world. And when I fly-fish, I use the Orvis Access. Stay Fishing MF

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com