Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Stocked or Wild?

From Harrisburg
Personally, I love stocked vs. wild topics. They are fun!

It's like arguing football. Can we change what happens on the field? No, but a lot of people like to discuss/argue it anyhow. In the end, maybe we learn something and maybe we don't. Still fun to talk about

Posted on: 2013/11/18 15:06

Quote:

Gorosaurus wrote:
Personally, I love stocked vs. wild topics. They are fun!

It's like arguing football. Can we change what happens on the field? No, but a lot of people like to discuss/argue it anyhow. In the end, maybe we learn something and maybe we don't. Still fun to talk about

You can't change what happens on football field.

But I think it is possible to change what happens on the streams. Management of wild trout streams has been very much influenced by anglers. In PA and in other places.

If you are able to identify wild trout you can learn something about wild trout populations in the streams from your own observations, and be a part of the process.

Posted on: 2013/11/18 15:10

Someone smarter than me needs to develop an instant trout DNA kit for stream side testing. Changes red if its stocked and green if its wild. Oh, and it should be affordable too please.

Posted on: 2013/11/18 15:51

From down the block from the Letort.
Something to also consider, or not, is how the fish was caught.

Something I've noticed over the years as a preferred dry fly presenter, is that I catch a lot more wild fish than stocked in waters with combined populations. Stocked fish just aren't in the habit of looking up for their meals and wild fish are spookier and less prone to eat a nymph under the bobber that you're dragging thru the riffle a rod length from your feet. Use a bit stealthier presentation with a dryfly and you might also see your catch rate of wild fish increase.

Posted on: 2013/11/18 16:40

thanks for the vigorous discussion

My main point was I was surprised that there were stocked browns in the LL. It seems like a better idea to stock only rainbows... and if I caught an escapee, then oh well, that's cool.

I think Kray hit a good point... I am just a novice, but I have had a tendency toward wild trout elitism.... but I think there are dumb stockies, and then there are good stockies....

My frist trout on the fly were wild browns in Valley creek, so I think that is a bit like scotch - once you get the good stuff, it's hard to go back.... but every now and then, Jameson is just fine....

Until recently, what I knew about stockies was based on those in Wissahickon Creek and Pennypack Creek... Cannot find them in "fishy" spots, only in "trucky" spots, and then, not where I feel a trout should be, but hanging out in the slack backwaters or hugging bottom, waiting for powerbait or minnows.

But these fish on the LL were at least acting like trout. The one noticeable stockie behavior was I got more attention to my nymph when i plopped it loudly on their heads

I am sure all of Kray's beautiful Big fish had been acclimated to life in the wild and and acted like real trout.

So, I think my philosophy about wild vs tocked is becoming something like: If it BEHAVES like a real trout, stocked vs wild doesn't matter.

I think it is the put and take stocking into stream that do not have real trout habitat or food supply that is not so much my cup of tea... but then again, I am not such a purist that I won't break out the spinning rod and get a stocky out of the Pennypack for dinner. By stomach contents, they seem to have nothing to eat in there anyway. But i digress....

Posted on: 2013/11/18 19:07

From Dauphin PA
mikesl,

I'm being labeled an elitist? Those fish aren't mine and I was there for only one of them at the time of capture. I'd say it doesn't matter to me if it's stocked or wild. 90% of the places I fish are wild fisheries.

If you are looking for smart stockies that will test you, hit the Tully in late June and watch the fish inspect your fly.....cast after cast.

I'n not saying wild is better than stocked. I get out on a limited basis so I might have a different perspective than some of you. If I've been on here since 07, attended some functions, met a fair number of members and I can't think that 10-15 have even seen me holding a fly rod. That's how little I fish and I don't eat anything that swims. I just do this stuff for fun.

If you are still "green", enjoy the sport and learn as much as you can every time out. It's a great hobby.

Posted on: 2013/11/18 19:52

From Stevens to Twenty mile
You typed what I was thinking, we have a beginers forum, I think we need I'm an expert in everything forum.

Posted on: 2013/11/18 19:54

From Monessen, PA
I prefer wild fish but don't detest stocked trout. I think stocked trout are about 92% wild anyway. Put them in a fertile stream with appropriate cover and habitat and they will be acting all wild and stuff within weeks. If they rise, I will fish for them.

Posted on: 2013/11/18 19:57

Kray, I think you misunderstood me
I am sometimes not so clear on the inter web

I was using your example of fish that are so impressive that it doesn't matter if they are wild or stocked as a jumping off point for easing out of my own wild elitism

Stocked or no, I wouldn't call any of those big river fish "stockies"

Posted on: 2013/11/18 20:02

I am learning to appreciate stockies that are stocked into good habitat and act natural. Just hadn't encountered too many of those til recently.

Posted on: 2013/11/18 20:04

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Quote:
So, I think my philosophy about wild vs tocked is becoming something like: If it BEHAVES like a real trout, stocked vs wild doesn't matter.

Again, you are trying to steer yourself towards wild trout elitism there, by setting yourself up for the view that one fish is worth more than another. My view is this: You MANAGE a resource with an eye toward wild trout, if you can. It's better for everyone. And hence, knowing the difference allows you to learn more about the resource. It can also help you to be more successful. However, there's no difference from a fisherman's "pride" standpoint. One doesn't count any more than the other. There's nothing wrong with catching stockies, and it doesn't make the fisherman inferior in any way.

That said, yes, you are right, after stocked fish have been in the stream a while, the stocked trout experience becomes a little more natural. How quickly this happens depends on a lot of things. But the part I really dislike is the artificial congregations. This is less an issue with the fish and more an issue with the PFBC stocking practices, who always seem to want to spread fish out less. Part of it is workers trying to get out of a little work; they have busy schedules and skipping a stocking point and then doubling up on the next simply saves time. Likewise, telling guys they can't carry buckets too far, etc. Just a time saver. But part of it I think is the policy position that they want a higher % of the fish to get caught. IMO, that's the wrong way to go, because you do that by loading up a hole or two and encouraging everyone to fish shoulder to shoulder over them. I'd much rather spread the fish, and fishermen, out as much as feasible, even if it means a lower catch rate for the fishermen and the fish.

The situation is typically a little better on bigger water, as fish move a little more freely and spread out on their own better.

Posted on: 2013/11/19 7:55

Trying to identify stocked trout and wild trout does not infer that stocked trout are "bad."

Learning to identify stocked and wild trout is one topic.

Discussing whether stocked trout are "bad" or not is another topic.

Posted on: 2013/11/19 8:53

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
I rambled. Troutbert said the same thing in 3 sentences. lol. Given that point of view:

Quote:

^^This doesn't make much sense to me. It's tying stocked vs. wild to a sense of importance. They aren't the same discussion.

Posted on: 2013/11/19 9:03

From Monessen, PA
Like me, I think he may be implying that the obsession of some with whether a trout is stocked or wild seems to misplace priorities to a fly angler. There are certainly reasons to want to know, but rarely are these reasons the thing that motivates these posts or the responses.

Posted on: 2013/11/19 10:19

From Dauphin PA
I happier getting a fish to come up & sip an emerger or chase down an iso swung toward the bank versus running a GW down each pool looking for a trout with ADD.

Wild, stocked, chub, smallmouth, whatever.

Posted on: 2013/11/19 10:41

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com