Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: Stocked or Wild?

kray - exactly.
I get much more satisfaction when I am taking primarily natural factors into consideration in choosing where to target fish.
If this is the case, it doesn't matter whether it is a stocked or wild fish that comes to hand... other than it is interesting from a fishery management point of view.

When the primary factor to finding the fish is finding the spot where there is questionable habitat but the truck had best access, that turns me off... or turns me into a different type of fishing mode, which can also be OK if that is what I am in the mood for.

So I guess I am voting for more "natural" stocking pratices... and to avoid the cardinal sin of just whining on the internet, I guess I just signed up to help with some stocking in the spring.

Posted on: 2013/11/19 13:17

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
There you go....

Still find the wild vs. stocked questions interesting. But purely from an academic point of view. As long as my fishing is taking into account natural variables, I'm just as happy reeling in a stocky.

But when the tactics part of the game turns to where and when they stocked and how to catch fish while avoiding the people, that turns me off.

Posted on: 2013/11/19 14:38

From Da 'Berg, PA
I have fished for tail water stockies that would inspect and reject anything larger than a #22 dry or nymph.

It ain't what you catch its where and while I eschew truck chasing, a bright stockie warms my toes on a cold January morn.

Given enough pressure in a CnR stream stockies will soon go native.

Pellet pigs can be fun sometimes.

Posted on: 2013/11/23 17:51

From Dallastown, PA
Quote:

geebee wrote:
I have fished for tail water stockies that would inspect and reject anything larger than a #22 dry or nymph.

It ain't what you catch its where and while I eschew truck chasing, a bright stockie warms my toes on a cold January morn.

Given enough pressure in a CnR stream stockies will soon go native.

Pellet pigs can be fun sometimes.

Not singling you out GeeBee but your comments are more toward selective feeding of conditioned fish. (ie: stocked fish in a contained environ ). Don't get me wrong, I like that challenge too. And on smaller totally wild streams you can put fish down and have them not even take the time to refuse.

But I think the question of the OP was more toward "What is this stocked looking fish doing here?" more than the usual "I ain't sure if its stocked or wild." question.

Its no secret that I am very interested in this aspect of brown trout ID'ing. In our home watershed we have wild trout, stocked adult (1.5 yr olds) and stocked two yr old fish. I like to believe I can tell them apart with significant certainty. I've personally handled over 50K stocked brown trout and have come to recognize the characteristics related to aquaculture in brown trout.

I have also caught many trout in completely wild brown trout streams in and out of this watershed and the differences are significant in appearance. Even after a season (over summer carryover) while the colors may bolster toward spawning color and infusion of red into the flanks occurs with the natural diet vs fish meal, the colors appear to be misdirected toward the black spots rather than the lateral line red spots of a wild brown trout. In addition the white halos also indicate the fished residence in a wild environ vs a cultured one.While they will develop over time once stocked the halos encircle the spots already present. And I believe with a great deal of certainty that the spotting of Black and color (red/orange) are determined in the first months of the life from swim up fry to fingerling. If that fish is fed fish meal and not dependent on natural diet the spotting is totally different. Its not entirely genetic except for the propensity of von behrs or lock levins to have their particular dominant traits. Rather when fed a diet of fish pellets in the early stages, the trout takes on more black spotting and to a degree more irregular shaped spots with less sharpness.

As with leopards, a trout will not change its spots. However, a trout born from an egg whether from stocked or wild parents will have different appearances depending on the diet it is fed. (natural vs fish meal)

Posted on: 2013/11/23 23:04

« 1 2 3 (4)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com