Stewards of Streams

skeeter

skeeter

To all,

We care greatly about the resources of Pennsylvania has to offer, practically streams and the habitat they provide for the thing we all enjoy, fish. There have been a number of times where I have read posts where streams have been impacted by dredging and either discharges of sediment and rock into a stream, but yet have not commented b/c of time and other restraints, i.e. fishing (haha). These activities for those that aren't aware require a joint permit from the Army Corp of Engineers and DEP, which in PA, the wetlands and waterways division, for this activity. There are many different permit-able activities for impacts to jurisdictional streams and wetlands. If you come across these activities I suggest looking into it to see if whom ever is doing the work has a permit for the activity. Just a few common activities which involve a permit which are usually over looked: installing a culvert, placing fill or disturbing the banks of a stream for the purpose of the following: a crossing, augmenting the direction of stream flow, etc., impacts to wetlands including, draining, placement of fill or other, non-organic material. Now there are many variables to everything I have just stated, but generally all these circumstances require some authorization to perform an activity to a jurisdictional stream. For clarification, we all fish in jurisdictional waters of the U.S. and the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, regardless if it’s on private property.

I must conclude that if the aforementioned activities where conducted or even the intent of these activities were to be conducted, one may be required to get a permit or even pay fines.

If one feels that they have witnessed an incident to a stream or a wetland please contact the necessary DEP field office http://www.depweb.state.pa.us/dep/cwp/view.asp?a=3&q=461121&depNav=|

I felt something should be said on this forum because I feel we all can just keep these things in mind the next time we are out on the stream. Protecting our waterways is the quintessential step to improving aquatic habitat.

Thanks!!!

I did that concerning the extreme soil polllution to the Little Juniata River, a guy answered numerous emails that it wasn't their duty to investigate, or even notify the appropriate partys.

LittleJ,

It was actually your post which prompted me to write this post. I commend you for trying because many would have given up trying to help. I am not sure exactly what occurred (i.e.) soil erosion, but the DEP is right, they don't regulate soils erosion, however they do regulate/enforce sediment control. These discharges of sediment where from a point source i.e. construction site? If this is the case then, and the site did not have sediment erosion control (SEC) measures in place, i.e. silt fence, etc. then it would be the soil conservation district that would need to be contacted, and it should have been up to the DEP guy’s "job" to do that. Now, I believe that was discussed in your post, however, assuming the discharges of sediment off this site was the case, and it was an absurd amount and the contractor continued work without installing SEC measures, then the soil conservation service (SCS) would then hand the violation over to the DEP and they would enforce the violation. Additionally depending on the size of the earth disturbance, the contractor should have received an NPDES permit from SCS, where I am from an NPDES permit is required for any disturbance over 40,000 sq.ft., I am not sure what it is for Huntington district.

I hope this provided some insight and if not, it is things like this which go on everyday unnoticed which bothers me, not specifically what you did, but the run-around from DEP and lack of information to actually do something about it. I recently witnessed the same type of situation where a site was greatly disturbed and an entire tributary to one of my favorite mountain streams was completely bulldozed over. I don't know what action the (SCS) will have but it felt good just to say something, instead of bottling it up...

Skeeter: Appreciate your input and concern, what bothered me was the fellow I was in contact with via email, left me with the impression that in this incident DEP would not even contact the appropriate agency, which in my opinion is a complete turnoff about contacting DEP when another incident occurs. Whateve this stuff was it certainly was not the color of normal floodwater on the Little Juniata which I have fished for 30 years. Considering the density of the soil pollution and the very low water levels, it was certainly an unusual incident that should have concerned DEP

When I saw the title of this thread, I thought you were going to discuss the position in most TU chapters of the same name "Stream Steward". In DFTU we have stream stewards for several streams in our county to act as "point person" for investigating issues and coordinating projects on that stream. If you are not a member of a local chapter, you might want to look into it. It's a great way of getting involved and helping the streams you love. Of course, like everything else, you get out of it what you put into it.

To your original point, I carry the numbers for DEP and FBC in my wallet
Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection at 1-800-541-2050
The FBC is dependant on region:
http://www.fish.state.pa.us/dir_regions.htm

Pad: I did contact the PFBC and they got back to me quickly asking for more specific informatio, they showed concern and reacted. DEP should be concerned since mud or soil pollution greatly increases water temperatures more so with mud and low ater

Back