Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 ... 26 »

Steelhead just around the corner

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
With Steelhead probably starting to stage in the next few weeks, and coming into the streams in a month or so, it's time to prepare for those who are regulars, or wanting to try steelhead fishing for the first time. fisherie.com gives some great information on steelhead fishing. Whether it is stream etiquitte, tactics, or where to go, it is a great source of information. Here is a good link to a lot of information on this subject. Whether a newbie, or a seasoned vet there's always more to learn. I've got about 40 flies tied so far... that's just the start.

Tight lines, and screaming reels!

http://www.fishusa.com/FishErie/StreamFishing.asp

Posted on: 2009/8/7 11:22

Re: Steelhead just around the corner

From The Beaver
Great link...Thanks

I have to admit...the more I hear everyone getting excited for steelie season I am getting more excited myself and I've never even gone before and have no idea what I'm all giddy about!...must be the caffeine.

Posted on: 2009/8/7 11:29

From Bozeman
There are kings in the salmon river.

First things first.

I tied up a few steelhead and salmon patterns that I dreamed up this summer. Flamboyant stoneflies, and a little estaz/orange ostrich herl bug that looks just like the nemo from the disney movie.

The time is near.

Posted on: 2009/8/7 12:05

"There are kings in the salmon river."

I second that notion as I am fishing up in NY for the first time this fall. I am actually going to Oak Orchard river though. Have you ever fished it? Any info is greatly appreciated.

I am amped up for steelies though! I will be taking a long weekend up there! Wooohooooo!

BJ

Posted on: 2009/8/7 12:19

From Bozeman
I haven't fished it. Studentofthestream and gulfgreyhound both do, so perhaps they can help.

My few years of salmon experience say you should bring lots of lead shot, if you like them. You will need them, and can't buy them in NY. Also, make sure you have a stout rod. The most important thing is to be careful when chasing a running fish, and keep side pressure on it. They will take you for a ride or two.

Posted on: 2009/8/7 12:22

From Room 109
I tied up a bunch of beadhead golden stones this week and built some new leaders as well. You always need more flies that you think. Those streams can eat up a fly box quickly.

Posted on: 2009/8/7 13:14

From Greensburg, PA
Quote:

Bruno wrote:
Those streams can eat up a fly box quickly.

The trees even quicker...

Posted on: 2009/8/7 13:17

From Bozeman

Posted on: 2009/8/7 13:18

From Room 109
Quote:

tomgamber wrote:
Quote:

Bruno wrote:
Those streams can eat up a fly box quickly.

The trees even quicker...

That is how some of us keep them full- bobbers as well

Posted on: 2009/8/7 13:39

From Pine Grove
I just got a batch of egg hooks and streamer hooks in size 6 and a boatload of hot pink estaz. I'll be going up the last week in September and am absolutely amped. I'm well stocked on all colors but the hot pink and streamers, since that's what I ran out of last year, so it's time to start tying. Hopefully we'll get into some cohos this year like we did in '07. It's been tough for me knowing that y'all will be up a week after me this year(Jay, Bruno and the gang), but at least I can be a reasonable scout. The following year we should be back into October, then we will have to pay our 70 bucks for a NY license, rather than the 40 we paid last October. Still well worth it. Elvis has entered the river!

Boyer

Posted on: 2009/8/7 18:10

From florida
Quote:

bjkaledas wrote:
"There are kings in the salmon river."

I second that notion as I am fishing up in NY for the first time this fall. I am actually going to Oak Orchard river though. Have you ever fished it? Any info is greatly appreciated.

I am amped up for steelies though! I will be taking a long weekend up there! Wooohooooo!

BJ

Check your PM.

Posted on: 2009/8/8 15:36

Thank you gulfgreyhound! I will get back to you on some other questions I have. Thanks again!

Posted on: 2009/8/10 9:34

From Westmoreland Co
bj feel free to ask any questions you may have and i'll do the best i can to help answer them. oak orchard is a great time for kings and later in the fall browns and steelhead. i'll be heading up sometime in mid to late september, depending on the run, for salmon and probably again in november for browns and steel. it's a blast and i'd recommend it to anyone.

Posted on: 2009/8/10 9:47

From florida
I didn't fish it last year.Could you still drive down into the Archery Club last year? That made access a lot easier for this old guy.I met some folks from Colorado there,said it was a lot better fisheries than they had in Colorado.I know when the fish are running its one hot place to be.

Posted on: 2009/8/10 11:35

From Westmoreland Co
ggh the archery club is still open for parking for a few bucks. very convenient and you can't beat that there are people there (for sure on weekends) cooking breakfast and lunch for a donation to the club. pretty sweet deal.

Posted on: 2009/8/10 13:34

(1) 2 3 4 ... 26 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com