Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 ... 26 »

Re: Steelhead just around the corner

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
Question for all you steelhead buffs...

What's the earliest you remember a run? Either by recollection or that you have on record?

Seems by the weather we've had this year, they just might come a bit early.

Posted on: 2009/8/18 10:06

From Butler, PA
I heard a rumor that there were some sited at the mouth of elk. A local fly shop owner told me that 2 weeks ago. haha. Maybe a fish or two in there now. I think it depends on water level mostly.

Posted on: 2009/8/18 10:19

From Bozeman
They will run when I stick my toe in the water and make the ceremonial "sacrifice" at an access point of the salmon river the night I arrive. I cannot publicly discuss the details of the sacrifice for various reasons, but trust me... it is important.

The erie fish will feel the shockwaves of the sacrifice, and the good karma it creates will begin their running process as well.

I will be arriving at the river Oct 2.

Posted on: 2009/8/18 10:30

From Suburban Pittsburgh
I've seen them run as early as maybe 2nd week of September(best recollection anyway), but have heard of fish stacking up towards end of August, early September. They will go into the tribs a little ways in the evenings and back out to the lake when the heat kicks in again. Late September/October is when they're ON. The cooler summer and good amount of rain we've had will hopefully provide for good fishing this fall.

Water levels and temperature are key to the run.

Posted on: 2009/8/18 10:40

From Greensburg, PA
I think last week of September was when I was there last year...

Posted on: 2009/8/18 10:49

From Other side of the tracks
I caught them as early as third week of August in elk Creek, but we had a cold August that year. Saw several all the way up above the steel bridge, but it had warmed up, and they looked like they were in pretty bad shape.

I normally don't mess with them that early, but I happened to be in the area.

Up until about two weeks ago, things were looking pretty good for an early run. However, it's been hot up there for at least the last week and a half, so it will take awhile. Sposed to cool off by sunday and go back to the previous pattern. Figure mid september at the earliest and that is only if it stays cool, and low 50s (max) at night. Call it a guess.

Posted on: 2009/8/18 10:51

17 fish for 462 lbs!!! beat that!

Jack it's all your fault!

Posted on: 2009/8/18 11:11

From Monessen, PA
I saw a report on lake temperatures in Erie that reflected the water near shore was actually 1 degree WARMER than this time last year. this may have been the Erie WCO report on the PFBC site. Like some of you, I would have expected otherwise. I don't expect to make MY first run until October, though credible reports sooner could change my mind for sure.

Posted on: 2009/8/18 11:58

Quote:

gulfgreyhound wrote:
There are some hogs in The Oak for sure.Other streams in the area have less pressure and just as many fish. It can be combat fishing, but week days are the time to be there.

Guys,
Just stumbled across this site today. I have a group that heads to Pulaski every year for our annual salmon laugh fest. I have done Oak and Erie and enjoyed both. I know I'm new but would love to be able to car pool or team up with a group leaving from SE PA to head to either location in late Oct. or Nov.

I will definitely be checking back in to try and keep up with the details.
Thanks,
Matt

Posted on: 2009/8/18 11:58

You guys are getting me all excited! I love this time of year for steelies. Woohoooooooooooo

Posted on: 2009/8/18 12:22

From Other side of the tracks
Quote:

JackM wrote:
I saw a report on lake temperatures in Erie that reflected the water near shore was actually 1 degree WARMER than this time last year. this may have been the Erie WCO report on the PFBC site. Like some of you, I would have expected otherwise. I don't expect to make MY first run until October, though credible reports sooner could change my mind for sure.

On last night's news they said the water temperature along the Lake Erie shoreline was in the upper 70s. That definitely surprised me. It's been cold at night all summer with the exception of the last week and a half so I looked up some numbers. The mean temperature for July was 69.9. average high was 78.4 and average low was 61.5. That is 2 degrees below normal for the month. June was even colder with a mean of 68 which was actually a half degree above average. I woulda never thunkit.

This morning when I left the house at 4:00, it was still 72. The pool is finally getting a workout.

Posted on: 2009/8/18 12:23

The kenai game got me looking into lodges and pricings. However I have a connection who lives up there and says I can come anytime, he'll provide the guiding and accomodations. I can get a round trip ticket for $700.....

Posted on: 2009/8/18 12:46

From Butler, PA
Quote:

The kenai game got me looking into lodges and pricings. However I have a connection who lives up there and says I can come anytime, he'll provide the guiding and accomodations. I can get a round trip ticket for $700.....

WHAT!!!!!!!!!

I AM IN.

When are we going?

Posted on: 2009/8/18 14:15

Quote:

Millertime wrote:
Quote:

WHAT!!!!!!!!!

I AM IN.

When are we going?

I'd love to go in June or July next year when the Kings are hot. A fishing buddy of mine's brother lives up there and said anytime we want to go..........

His dad just got back about 2 weeks ago and killed them. I'm jealous. Maybe next year.... gotta convince the boss.

Posted on: 2009/8/18 16:52

From florida
Kenai,early Joly would be my suggestion.Friend of mine got a 68 lber.On a drift trip the first week of july talk about a pig.
The remnants of Clauddette may get Erie stirred up, depending on the amount of rain.

Posted on: 2009/8/19 10:22

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 ... 26 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com