Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 26 »

Re: Steelhead just around the corner
From Monessen, PA
For a fishing spot 100 feet from the parking area, that doesn't look crowded at all.

Posted on: 2009/8/13 10:10

"BJ don't kid yourself into thinking oak doesn't get some serious pressure. During the week it can be decent but it's still a crap shoot. The salmon has a lot more water than oak so the anglers there can spread out more. On oak they are confinded to a relatively small area. Check the photo below and see how many guys you can count.

This was just one area of the stream in front of the archers club. It is very popular water but both up and downstream of this was just about equal with people.

I choose Oak because it's closer and I can fish some other tribs on the way there and back with the extra travel time saved."

Geez that look likes lower Elk every day during the Fall run of steelies.

Anyways, thank you for your response. I plan to fish the Oak the in mid-late October to hopefully get a shot at salmon, browns, and maybe some early steelies. Hopefully the pressure won't be as bad.

BJ

Posted on: 2009/8/13 12:06

From florida
Quote:

Where do you guys stay when fishing the Oak? I tried to get a reservation for "Orleans Outdoors" in Albion, but he only has a vacancy one of the two nights I want to stay there. It sounded awesome with a fly tying area and everything.

BJ

Try Captains Cove or Google Albion,NYmotels.You could stay in Brockport,NY as well.

Posted on: 2009/8/13 16:18

From Westmoreland Co
It was crazy when we were there last year. We just moved in and out of the people and found fish to catch. As mentioned above and below the archers area there were people but not quite as many.

BJ just watch and make sure you don't go the weekend before Columbus day as many people go then and it's a madhouse. Also they have an annual fishing tourney there in October and I can't imagine that's a good time to be there either. You might be able to call one of the local shops to find out when this is.

We were there 8-18 last year so that was right after the Columbus day weekend and I believe the fishing tourney was the following weekend. We caught a few nice browns that weekend, salmon and saw a couple steelhead pulled out.

One guy caught a 34" 18 lb brown in front of the archers club. Ridiculous!

Posted on: 2009/8/14 8:14

From florida
There are some hogs in The Oak for sure.Other streams in the area have less pressure and just as many fish. It can be combat fishing, but week days are the time to be there.

Posted on: 2009/8/14 9:39

From harlansburg
any thoughts about a steelhead mini-jam up in erie? might give folks who've never done it a chance to hook up with someone. I haven't been up there in years, the crowds really put me off about 10 years ago, but I might just suck it up and start going back. I've heard mid-week isn't too bad.

Posted on: 2009/8/15 9:04

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

bikerfish wrote:
any thoughts about a steelhead mini-jam up in erie? might give folks who've never done it a chance to hook up with someone. I haven't been up there in years, the crowds really put me off about 10 years ago, but I might just suck it up and start going back. I've heard mid-week isn't too bad.

More than thoughts - it WILL happen. We're going to discuss this at the Trico Summit, but to be fair to a more state wide attendance, I'd like to see a poll put up for a certain time span, and let the majority decide the date. Seems only fair to do it that way.

Details will follow in early September to let folks get their plans and reservations in order. I have connections on a really nice place to stay, and this allows some time to check on prices and availability of rooms. I'd really like to get everyone the best possible deal on lodging, and this is a real possibility if we get enough people to book the whole place. Stay tuned........

Posted on: 2009/8/15 15:37

From WNY
Quote:

bjkaledas wrote:
Ya know, and I just looked up ours and we only charge $52.70 for our annual non-resident licenses. That is crappy for them to do that.

I guess we will spend our tourist money in NY less now.

When you add the 15.70 for a combination license, PA and NY charge nearly the same for a non-resident license.

Posted on: 2009/8/16 11:39

"When you add the 15.70 for a combination license, PA and NY charge nearly the same for a non-resident license."

Very good point. I am sure they did it for a reason and it is no big deal. I am probably only going to come up once a year anyways and that price is reasonable.

"BJ just watch and make sure you don't go the weekend before Columbus day as many people go then and it's a madhouse. "

I just booked rooms at Orleans Outdoors for October 24th and 25th. I am hoping we will get salmon, browns, and maybe some steelies for the trip. The place we are staying is in Albion, so we will be nice and close to the water. I can't wait. Then in November will be the 4 day Erie trip. I am hoping to be there during a good fall run this time.

Posted on: 2009/8/16 12:29

From Monessen, PA
If you are too excited to wait, check out this page to whet your appetite:

http://www.peninsulaclarion.com/kenairiverrun/kenairiverrun.html

Posted on: 2009/8/17 13:17

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
Quote:

JackM wrote:
If you are too excited to wait, check out this page to whet your appetite:

http://www.peninsulaclarion.com/kenairiverrun/kenairiverrun.html

15 fish for 171 lbs! lol

14 fish for 241 lbs...

14 fish for 266 lbs

15 fish for 296 lbs!!!

18 fish for 332!!1

(ok i'm done now)

now look what you did Jack... I'm supposed to be working!

Posted on: 2009/8/17 14:53

From florida
Thats not fair,its addictive!

Posted on: 2009/8/17 14:58

From Monessen, PA
I caught an 85 pound King!.... with a 7-weight and 3X tippet.

Posted on: 2009/8/17 15:12

From Pittsburgh
Oh yeah Jack...I put on a 5x bioline and pulled out two boots. I'm wearing them now and they are very comfortable!!! Disappointing that there are boots floating down the Kenia!

Posted on: 2009/8/17 15:34

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
I caught a few boots, as well as trophy sized logs, and a few cell phones lol!

Posted on: 2009/8/17 15:59

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 26 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com