Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 21 22 23 (24) 25 26 »

Re: Steelhead just around the corner

From Bozeman
Quote:

PatrickC wrote:
Quote:

JackM wrote:
I have seen steelheaders bring lawn chairs to the stream, but never a sofa. I will look for you and your crown next time I'm in Erie.

That has inspired a great idea Jack! A kayak that is really a sofa. It would be awsome to lay back with my feet up...the remote in one hand and my fly rod in the other. No crown though...unless we stopped at Burger King on the way.

Speaking of which...see my official picture for the hospital in front of my new office below (I think this may be why I'm in trouble all of the time...but hey they elected me):

LOL.

I think a headdress might be more apt, but that would probably offend some. Well played.

Posted on: 2010/8/25 9:54

Glad to see this thread come back this year! It won't be long now and let's hope for more runs this year!!

Posted on: 2010/8/25 12:20

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
Yeah it took me about 30 pages of past history on the word "steelhead" to find it... funny how atleast a post for each of those pages were mine... think I have a problem?

Posted on: 2010/8/25 16:23

From Eastern PA
I was stupid and not realizing this was a monumental bump and was trying to figure out exactly how there was 3 foot deep snow in Erie right now. LOL. Tied 40 steel/salmon flies last night. So I have one days worth done.

Posted on: 2010/8/25 22:20

There was so much good information in this thread, and also the one I bumped in the fly tying thread that I felt it was good to bump it and not answer the same questions that we do every year.

I rearranged my fly boxes to get ready for steelhead. I luckily tied up 200+ egg flies last year and still have a bunch left. I'll have to replenish my nymphs and tie a few streamers/buggers, but I could probably survive the season on what I have right now. Good thing because I haven't tied a fly since May.

Posted on: 2010/8/26 10:24

The long range forecast for Erie is showing some cooler temperatures starting next week. That should help things. The temperature is still at 73 today. We need that to get down below 68 to get the fish interested, coupled with some rain as usual.

Posted on: 2010/8/31 12:28

True or False

There is a report on fisherie that guys have caught steelhead along the wall at (as they call it) the "Nut".

Now do you beleive them? hehehehe

Posted on: 2010/8/31 12:56

Re: True or False

From NE OH
Quote:

acristickid wrote:
There is a report on fisherie that guys have caught steelhead along the wall at (as they call it) the "Nut".

Now do you beleive them? hehehehe

As of 45 minutes ago GLCFS reports the surface temp along the Erie shore line of PA as 76F and bottom temps of 72-74F....so I'm gonna say NO. Not impossible, but not likely. Let's all go have another pint for a few more days! Won't be long though!

Posted on: 2010/8/31 16:08

There might be a fish here and there, but I don't believe the fish are staging right now. With air temps in the 90's it's way to warm for them to get moving yet. Once the nights low starts to get into the low 50's then we might see some movement.

My prediction is they'll start staging the 2nd week in September and we'll see our first good run, where the fish stay, by the 27th.

Posted on: 2010/8/31 16:09

From harlansburg
yeah, it's not steelhead season till the line is freezing in your guides!

Posted on: 2010/8/31 16:24

From NE OH
Quote:

bikerfish wrote:
yeah, it's not steelhead season till the line is freezing in your guides!

My favorite time of steelhead season...cause the masses have disappeared once it gets that cold and I get big creeks all to my self!

Posted on: 2010/8/31 16:37

From Other side of the tracks
There may have been a couple around last week when the lows were into the 40s for about 3 days straight, but ... I greatly doubt it there would be any yesterday or today.

They were probably fishing for gobies ad got lucky.

Posted on: 2010/8/31 17:27

From Lower Burrell
No rain in the forecast for Erie.... probably looking at at least the end of September, if not October, before it'll be worth making the trip...

Posted on: 2010/8/31 21:19

From Other side of the tracks
I talked to my little brother on the way home yesterday, and he was up walleye fishing on Saturday. It was a charter and they were quite a ways off of Walnut. Still within sight of shore, but probably miles out. First trench maybe?

They picked up one steelhead along with the walleye. The charter captain said that had been picking up a few and that they are starting to move in.

But it will take a fair amount of rain and cold nights to get them into the creeks in any numbers.

Posted on: 2010/9/1 8:30

From Lower Burrell
Maybe we'll get lucky and hurricane Earl will hang a left and head our way! That'd be a big help in getting the season going!

Posted on: 2010/9/1 17:47

« 1 ... 21 22 23 (24) 25 26 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes 95% (139)
No 0% (0)
Thinking about it 4% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com