Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 26 »

Re: Steelhead just around the corner

How much is a NY license that is good for fishing the Oak?

I think I read that they are 20 some bucks for out of state. Also, I believe I read that the first time you buy it, you have to buy it in person, but then every time after that you can purchase it online?

BTW, I will be using an 7wt up there.

Posted on: 2009/8/12 9:42

From Bozeman
Quote:

bjkaledas wrote:
How much is a NY license that is good for fishing the Oak?

I think I read that they are 20 some bucks for out of state. Also, I believe I read that the first time you buy it, you have to buy it in person, but then every time after that you can purchase it online?

BTW, I will be using an 7wt up there.

Non-Resident License Fees (2008-2009) Non-Resident License Type Fee
Annual Fishing $40.00
7 day Fishing $ 25.00
Super Sportsman2 $ 250.00

The license year turns over October 1:

Non-Resident License Fees (2009-2010)
Annual Fishing $70.00
7 day Fishing $ 35.00
1 day Fishing $ 15.00

Posted on: 2009/8/12 9:47

From Westmoreland Co
That is one thing that burns me about this year. They really bumped up the annual non-res license cost to the point that it makes me rethink my yearly NY trips.

I only make it up there a couple times a year but if I go two trips I'm already at the $70 annual license cost. Not sure why such a large jump for out of staters but I don't think I'm alone in rethinking my NY fishing visitation.

Posted on: 2009/8/12 10:33

From Bozeman
Quote:

StudentofTheStream wrote:
That is one thing that burns me about this year. They really bumped up the annual non-res license cost to the point that it makes me rethink my yearly NY trips.

I only make it up there a couple times a year but if I go two trips I'm already at the $70 annual license cost. Not sure why such a large jump for out of staters but I don't think I'm alone in rethinking my NY fishing visitation.

Yeah, I am a little disappointed as well. They understand that a large number of out of staters come to fish, so they are bumping the fees as such.

I'm hoping to find less crowded conditions this year, but I doubt it.

I will still pay. Four or five trips to the salmon, maybe a trip to oak, NY erie tribs become a possiblity, and there's the upper delaware system. I think it's still worth the cost.

Posted on: 2009/8/12 10:45

"Non-Resident License Fees (2008-2009) Non-Resident License Type Fee
Annual Fishing $40.00
7 day Fishing $ 25.00

The license year turns over October 1:

Non-Resident License Fees (2009-2010)
Annual Fishing $70.00
7 day Fishing $ 35.00
1 day Fishing $ 15.00
Super Sportsman2 $ 250.00"

That really bites! I have never fished in NY and now I get slapped with that crap. Also, I am going in October, so I have to pay the new rate. The good news is that I am only going once, the bad news is that next year I may want to go multiple times.

BJ

Posted on: 2009/8/12 12:12

Ya know, and I just looked up ours and we only charge $52.70 for our annual non-resident licenses. That is crappy for them to do that.

I guess we will spend our tourist money in NY less now.

Posted on: 2009/8/12 12:23

From SE PA - Montgomery County
If the higher license fees for out of state residents means that there will be more DEC officers on the river, than I have no problem with that at all.

From what I understand, there is a new DEC training facility on the SR now, so maybe that will mean more enforcement especially during salmon season.

Also, if you ever took a trip to the hatchery on the SR you would understand the amount of effort that is put forth to maintain that great fishery.

I cannot wait to get up there in Nov.

Rob

Posted on: 2009/8/12 12:24

From Bozeman
Quote:

CLSports wrote:
If the higher license fees for out of state residents means that there will be more DEC officers on the river, than I have no problem with that at all.

From what I understand, there is a new DEC training facility on the SR now, so maybe that will mean more enforcement especially during salmon season.

Also, if you ever took a trip to the hatchery on the SR you would understand the amount of effort that is put forth to maintain that great fishery.

I cannot wait to get up there in Nov.

Rob

BJ,

I just wanted to reiterate CLSports' post. NY has a lot of high maintenance fisheries, such as the salmon and delaware rivers, so I kind of see where they are coming from.

If I don't see an increase in enforcement, as alluded to above, I would consider complaining about the cost. Otherwise, I think it's a valid cost.

If you get a yearly license, and ever want to split tourist dollars on a trip to the salmon or west branch, let me know!

Posted on: 2009/8/12 12:36

From Pine Grove
Quote:

CLSports wrote:

They bought the Portly Angler Motel, but have been short on funding to convert it into a training center, although that is the long term plan. That river definitely needs more officers during peak season, although I have to say, I've seen more NYDEC officers in my lifetime than I have PFBC, and I only go up once or twice a year.

Boyer

Posted on: 2009/8/12 14:09

From Dillon, CO
Hey guys,

I've never fished for steelhead before but I would love to get up to Erie this year for it. I'm looking to get a 6-7wt rod. I'd really like to go up there with someone who's well versed in steelhead fishing as it would make it a better, more enjoyable experiencing instead of me guessing at every detail. If anyone could recommend what fly patterns (I have a good idea but would like some specific ones) to start tying, as well as any other special considerations I need to think about that would be great.

thanks

Posted on: 2009/8/12 15:47

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
Quote:

PatrickG wrote:
Hey guys,

I've never fished for steelhead before but I would love to get up to Erie this year for it. I'm looking to get a 6-7wt rod. I'd really like to go up there with someone who's well versed in steelhead fishing as it would make it a better, more enjoyable experiencing instead of me guessing at every detail. If anyone could recommend what fly patterns (I have a good idea but would like some specific ones) to start tying, as well as any other special considerations I need to think about that would be great.

thanks

There is a great post going that I started just for this question in the fly tying thread.

http://www.paflyfish.com/modules/newb ... php?topic_id=8899&forum=5

Also I go up a handful of times every year and you are more than welcome to join me. I am by no means an expert, but catch my fair share of fish.

Ryan

Posted on: 2009/8/12 15:54

From Spring City, Gaines
It's a shame to see the Portly Angler closed, my group has spent the last 10 years staying there. Their rooms were nice for groups of 5 or 6 guys. If anything good comes out of the license increases hopefully it will mean less crowding on the Salmon River. Not too many years ago you could fish during the week with little to no crowds, the last few years for us even Mondays and Tuesdays were crowded for Salmon.

Posted on: 2009/8/12 17:22

"I just wanted to reiterate CLSports' post. NY has a lot of high maintenance fisheries, such as the salmon and delaware rivers, so I kind of see where they are coming from.

If I don't see an increase in enforcement, as alluded to above, I would consider complaining about the cost. Otherwise, I think it's a valid cost.

If you get a yearly license, and ever want to split tourist dollars on a trip to the salmon or west branch, let me know!"

If that is the case, then I am supportive as well under those conditions.

Do you guys prefer SR or the Oak? I decided on the Oak based on angling pressure (obviously both will be high), but I have heard horror stories about SR. Guys said that they try to cast over your line when you have a fish on and won't move out of the way. I have heard that they move on the Oak and are more respectible.

Where do you guys stay when fishing the Oak? I tried to get a reservation for "Orleans Outdoors" in Albion, but he only has a vacancy one of the two nights I want to stay there. It sounded awesome with a fly tying area and everything.

BJ

Posted on: 2009/8/13 9:46

From Westmoreland Co
BJ don't kid yourself into thinking oak doesn't get some serious pressure. During the week it can be decent but it's still a crap shoot. The salmon has a lot more water than oak so the anglers there can spread out more. On oak they are confinded to a relatively small area. Check the photo below and see how many guys you can count.

This was just one area of the stream in front of the archers club. It is very popular water but both up and downstream of this was just about equal with people.

I choose Oak because it's closer and I can fish some other tribs on the way there and back with the extra travel time saved.

Attach file:

jpg  OakMadness.jpg (205.03 KB)
1031_4a841cdaa6cd7.jpg 1024X768 px

Posted on: 2009/8/13 10:02

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
What does that dude in the grey hoodie think he is doing???? He's standing directly in the run.

disclaimer: I hope this is not one of your buddies lol.

Posted on: 2009/8/13 10:07

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 26 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com